Sound replacement project - OpenSFX

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Sound replacement project - OpenSFX

Post by Zephyris »

So you mean that the sample of the non-toyland OpenSFX sounds is used too?
Exactly.

Toyland Jet Takeoff:
Additional samples (over the OpenSFX jet takeoff sound):
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19025
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=14609
Attachments
JetStart.wav
(320.05 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Thank you very much. Now OpenSFX is 'complete'! So...

Today we give you the first full release of OpenSFX: the sound replacement project or what OpenGFX is for graphics OpenSFX is for sounds.

It can be downloaded from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opensfx/releases/

I would like to thank all who have helped making/editing the samples for this set. Our major source of samples is freesound.org and Janis Lukss, Jklamo and Richard Wheeler have been very helpful by editing/mixing the samples to the results we now have.
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

Good News! Congratulations! :D
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Heh, OpenSFX beat OpenGFX. :lol:

I have to say, Zephyris, you're doing a great job - helping BOTH the sound and the graphics replacement to get completed. My utmost respect to you :bow:
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I haven't checked in on this in a while, but I'm very pleased to see a full release at last! I'll have to download and try it once I have a bit of free time. :)
Heffer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heffer »

I'm preparing an OpenSFX package for Fedora.
It will be released in RPMFusion because (unfortunately) Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 is not a free (enough) license (see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Bad_Licenses_3).
Fedora will then have everything needed to enjoy a complete and free gameplay experience.

Thanks to all contributors for making this possible!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Do you know what in particular is wrong with the CC sampling license? It would be interesting to know.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

CC Sampling doesn't allow all modifications and doesn't allow selling. Both are, at least for Debian, reasons to mark them unfree. However, you can package "nosound" [1], which is GPLv2 licensed and then it can be used without RPM fusion, and the players are still allowed to download OpenSFX via the in-game download system.

[1] http://www.openttd.org/download-nosound
Heffer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heffer »

Well for Fedora the problem is that it it upstream for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Eventually, packages that are in Fedora might get into RHEL. And because we respect the authors wish for only non-commercial use of their product we rather not include it because RHEL is usually sold with a support contract. And we consider RHEL to be a commercial product. So it must not contain software/content that is meant for non-commercial use only.

But thanks for the nosound tip. I will package that.
thorbj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thorbj »

Hi, thanks for the great effort put into making this open source version of TTDX.
I'm trying to get the game up and running on a rather young Linux system called Solus. I've had the developers make a package for the systems package manager, and successfully installed it on my system. But I can't get the OpenSFX to work.

I've downloaded the latest zip, and unzipped the files into ~./openttd/opensfx, I've tried to put the zip file directly into ~/.openttd, and I've also tried copying the opensfx.cat and opensfx.obs files into ~/.openttd
But whatever I try, I can't get the OpenSFX to appear in the drop-down list for game sounds. The only option here is "NoSound".

Where am I failing?

Thanks!

EDIT: Typo.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You should check the readme.txt file that points out where openttd looks for files, including sounds. Iirc, there was a special directory name inside ~/.openttd, but I don't know it.
Also, you can run openttd with debug dumping enabled (check openttd -h output), which should give you exact information on what it tried and found.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

thorbj wrote:I've downloaded the latest zip, and unzipped the files into ~./openttd/opensfx, I've tried to put the zip file directly into ~/.openttd, and I've also tried copying the opensfx.cat and opensfx.obs files into ~/.openttd
Try placing it inside ~/.openttd/baseset/ instead. If it still doesn't work, use the in-game content download service to automatically install it.
thorbj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thorbj »

kamnet wrote:Try placing it inside ~/.openttd/baseset/ instead. If it still doesn't work, use the in-game content download service to automatically install it.
Thanks, placing it inside ~/.openttd/baseset/ worked perfectly!
FREETOUSESOUNDS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FREETOUSESOUNDS »

Hi Guys! I just got your contact on Reddit because I shared this free train sounds that I recorded in the Subbreddit! You Guys are more than welcome to use my sounds for your game if you want! Let me know and I send you my page and the link to all the train sounds! I have about 750 MB!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Here's the link to those train sounds, the license is CC-BY.
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

OpenSFX is not "open". Let's make it so!

Post by Wuzzy »

(NOTE: This is a necropost, but it's important. I mostly post this in the hopes that this triggers notifications.)

Sadly, OpenSFX is not "open" (read: libre), because the CC Sampling Plus 1.0 license has some nasty restrictions in it. Creative Commons has retired this license a very long time ago for this exact reason. The FOSS community generally considers this license to be non-free, and for good reason: It forbids use in almost all forms of "advertisements" or "promotion", which is very broad. There are many other problems as well, you can read up on it here.
Also, a few sounds were based on sounds with other problematic licenses (CC BY-NC, or no license at all).

Two days ago I have begun the process in redoing the sounds which are based on clear non-free source sounds, i.e. sounds under clear non-free licenses. Those were the obvious candidates that need replacement no matter what. I already tried to reach out to a few of the original authors for a possible license change, and I managed to convince a few! :) But not all.

However, many sounds in OpenSFX are actually based on libre sounds, which is good. But they are still under CC Sampling Plus 1.0 because that's the license the sound editors who worked on OpenSFX chose. That's a very unfortunate choice of license right there. I write this post here to kindly ask all of the original sound editors who edited the sounds of Freesound for OpenSFX to give their permission to relicense their sound edits to an actually libre license for the OpenSFX project. I also posted on GitHub: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenSFX/issues/6

(I do not yet suggest a new OpenSFX license yet, but it definitely should be a free culture or FOSS license, like for the rest of OpenTTD.)

This will greatly simplify the process of creating an OpenSFX that is actually "open" (read: libre). ;) If you are one of the original editors, please reply if you wish to give permission. Please also reply if you explicitly do NOT want to give permission (for whatever reason), this helps with planning ahead.

Please also refer to this thread for the quest to rid OpenSFX of CC Sampling Plus: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=85815
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenSFX is not "open". Let's make it so!

Post by Wuzzy »

Wuzzy wrote: 27 Jan 2021 19:40 (NOTE: This is a necropost, but it's important. I mostly post this in the hopes that this triggers notifications.)

Sadly, OpenSFX is not "open" (read: libre), because the CC Sampling Plus 1.0 license has some nasty restrictions in it. Creative Commons has retired this license a very long time ago for this exact reason. The FOSS community generally considers this license to be non-free, and for good reason: It forbids use in almost all forms of "advertisements" or "promotion", which is very broad. There are many other problems as well, you can read up on it here.
Also, a few sounds were based on sounds with other problematic licenses (CC BY-NC, or no license at all).

Two days ago I have begun the process in redoing the sounds which are based on clear non-free source sounds, i.e. sounds under clear non-free licenses. Those were the obvious candidates that need replacement no matter what. I already tried to reach out to a few of the original authors for a possible license change, and I managed to convince a few! :) But not all.

However, many sounds in OpenSFX are actually based on libre sounds, which is good. But they are still under CC Sampling Plus 1.0 because that's the license the sound editors who worked on OpenSFX chose. That's a very unfortunate choice of license right there. I write this post here to kindly ask all of the original sound editors who edited the sounds of Freesound for OpenSFX to give their permission to relicense their sound edits to an actually libre license for the OpenSFX project. I also posted on GitHub: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenSFX/issues/6

(I do not yet suggest a new OpenSFX license yet, but it definitely should be a free culture or FOSS license, like for the rest of OpenTTD.)

This will greatly simplify the process of creating an OpenSFX that is actually "open" (read: libre). ;) If you are one of the original editors, please reply if you wish to give permission. Please also reply if you explicitly do NOT want to give permission (for whatever reason), this helps with planning ahead.

Please also refer to this thread for the quest to rid OpenSFX of CC Sampling Plus: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=85815

IMPORTANT EDIT: OpenSFX 1.0.0 was released, which is now fully libre! :D
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

OpenSFX 1.0.1

Post by Wuzzy »

OpenSFX 1.0.1 has been released!

This fixes two bus sounds being swapped: The 'modern' bus sound was accidentally used for old buses/trucks, and vice-versa. Meaning that old buses sounded like modern ones, and modern buses sounded like old ones. This has been fixed.

There are also several translation updates thanks to our translators on the Web Translator.
New languages or languages with updates: Czech, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), Finnish, French, Hungarian.

You can download it from the main menu with the add-ons menu. Or you can download OpenSFX manually here: https://www.openttd.org/downloads/opens ... atest.html

Enjoy! :)

PS: OpenSFX has a new wiki page as well, you can find it here: https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Basesets/OpenSFX
The first post in this thread needs updating, most of the links are broken.

Return to “General OpenTTD”