Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

robotex
Engineer
Engineer

Globe-Style (Endless) World

Post by robotex »

Hi @all,

I don't know if it has already been sugested, but how would it be to have a map that does not end at left/right/top/bottom but is more like a globe?

Let me explain: It would be like when you have a train that leaves the map at the top, it reenters the map at the bottom and vice versa. Same would be with left and right. So the map would have no "end".

What do you guys think? Is this possible at all?

Greetings,

Robo
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Globe-Style (Endless) World

Post by DaleStan »

robotex wrote:Hi @all,

I don't know if it has already been sugested,
For what did you search, and what results did you get when you did?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

robotex wrote:Hi @all,
Hello and welcome to the forums.
how would it be to have a map that does not end at left/right/top/bottom but is more like a globe?
I have no idea, since I've never tried to play such a map in OpenTTD. Obviously that is because nobody has coded it yet.
What do you guys think? Is this possible at all?
Yes, I think so. But I'm sure coding it will be a lot of work.

I started to make a patch for this several months ago. But I ran into multiple problems and later I abandoned the project (don't ask for code, there is none anymore). Due to other projects I won't start coding this in the near future. As always, if you want it, your best bet is to code it yourself.
Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

When your talking about the shape of the world it would be impossible to do with the square grid of the game. The only way to really play a world map is to imitate the world so the north and south pole was just strips on the bottom and top of the map (and thus useless as in real life) or even miss them out (the easy bit). Then either convince a programmer to or you program a patch to connect 2 opposite sides of the map together, but with the connection of the sides of the map a lot of code will need to be incorporated or changed to allow vehicles and anything else that takes two grid references to calculates various things such as payments and pathfinder to use this new route (the very hard bit).

sorry to say but if this was an easy task or a must have feature then wouldn't the developers have it in the trunk already?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”