Minecraft

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Minecraft

Post by lobster »

Minecraft, a game for everyone that loved Infiniminer and wanted to play Dwarf Fortress but realized it was too steep a learning curve. It's a 3D indie game developed by Swedish indie game designer Notch, and is currently in alpha.

The game is divided into some subsections:
- Single player (creative) -> Free at the moment, little to do, just easy to get to know things.
- Multiplayer (creative) -> Also free, but requires registration. Build awesome structures with loads of people. Brilliant fun, addictive, everything you never thought you wanted but will love.
- Survival mode -> Also free, but old. Not really relevant.
- Survival mode /indev/ -> The latest version. Updated almost daily. Only for people who bought the game. And it's a treat, i can tell you. You start with nothing, collect some wood, build a workbench, create some tools through crafting, acquire minerals, build better tools, build mines, fight monsters, find more and better minerals, and if you want, set up a farm and harvest crops. It's surreal how brilliant it is. Truly amazing stuff.

About the buying of the game: it's free to play, but with restrictions. It's in alpha now, so that means it'll be €10 to purchase. When it reaches beta stage - which isn't far away - it'll be €15 to purchase it. Finally, if you wait too long, the game will be done and it'll cost you €20. Still, an amazing price for what is probably the most creative game ever. I know i sound like i work for the guy, but i'm just so thoroughly impressed with it. I've not touched a single other game in the last months, perhaps even the last half year.

---

Update: we now have our official unofficial TT-forums Minecraft server! jonty-comp is the big man responsible for this brilliance, and it's to be found here! Ofcourse, there are some general rules: no griefing, and keep other player's creations intact. Other than that, have fun!

---

Relevant links, we love those:
Minecraft
Minecraft wiki
Minecraft forums
Developer's blog
A nice Survival /indev/ mode blog
Last edited by lobster on 19 Feb 2010 14:22, edited 2 times in total.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Minecraft

Post by jonty-comp »

But you can co-op build in Sauerbraten for free! I spent many a lazy afternoon doing that this time last year during my post-GCSE holiday. :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

but Minecraft isn't a FPS.

try it. it will eat you alive.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

Meh. If it's not free I don't wanna know.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

it is free now - perhaps if you read the opening post for once - and will be for at least a good few weeks.

caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

lobster wrote:it is free now - perhaps if you read the opening post for once - and will be for at least a good few weeks.
For once? Have there been incidents in the past where I have not read the OP or are you just being melodramatic?

Your post was badly written. "the game is freely playable... it costs €10 now" doesn't make sense, unless you were saying that you can play for free once you have the game but still need to pay for the game (which, apparently, you were not), or you merely meant that there are no technical or physical obstacles to gameplay, which, again you apparently did not.

You also said it won't be freely playable once beta comes out; that could have been tomorrow for all I know.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i imagined people would look it up at the website, where it's explained in detail. and there's been loads of cases where the original post is only partially or not at all read. just so you know.

an update: new blocks have arrived, and the GUI expanded. rather splendidly.

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back. Firstly, with some awesome screenshots from Eoin and me online the other day, discovering something that could only be described as a Minecraft Atlantis.
Attachments
The server we logged onto was quite full of awesome already.
The server we logged onto was quite full of awesome already.
And the other side.
And the other side.
This is our entrance, a underwater dome. A small one. There's a large pink arrow Eoin made because i kept getting lost next to me, but i forgot to cap that.
This is our entrance, a underwater dome. A small one. There's a large pink arrow Eoin made because i kept getting lost next to me, but i forgot to cap that.

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Continued.
Attachments
A sample of the cave we found.
A sample of the cave we found.
The lava floor leading to our awesome discovery.
The lava floor leading to our awesome discovery.
Inside. The rooms on the left were living rooms, on the right were sci-fi Perfect Dark-ish. Awesome.
Inside. The rooms on the left were living rooms, on the right were sci-fi Perfect Dark-ish. Awesome.

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

And continued.
Attachments
Busy Eoin is busy.
Busy Eoin is busy.
Perhaps a bit too busy? :o
Perhaps a bit too busy? :o
Woops, flood!
Woops, flood!

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

And finally.
Attachments
Easily dealt with. Gotta love sponge blocks!
Easily dealt with. Gotta love sponge blocks!
Eoin fixing up a mistake. He's a skilled fellow, so no lava overflow here.
Eoin fixing up a mistake. He's a skilled fellow, so no lava overflow here.
We both made arrows for the water elevator entrance. Isn't it cosy? The pink's Eoin's, mine's the blue and green one.
We both made arrows for the water elevator entrance. Isn't it cosy? The pink's Eoin's, mine's the blue and green one.

EoinL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EoinL »

And a picture of lobsters awesome guy, customised as he bought the game!
Attachments
LOBSTARR
LOBSTARR
[15:53] <Jolteon> AND IM AN ANNOYING ****.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

EoinL wrote:And a picture of lobsters awesome guy, customised as he bought the game!
He actually reminds me of lobster, at least as how I remember him :o
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

That's what i was going for when designing that skin. :P

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I thought it was totally coincidential! :shock:
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
EoinL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EoinL »

[15:53] <Jolteon> AND IM AN ANNOYING ****.
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

EoinL wrote:Some nice works of Mineart!

http://eoin.midashost.net/imagehost/use ... lery&gal=3
Some of these are amazing. My favourites:

jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Some quick photos from the castle Eoin and i built.
Attachments
View from the outside. Door's on the left, three towers on top. Garden in front of it.
View from the outside. Door's on the left, three towers on top. Garden in front of it.
The main hall with the stairs down...
The main hall with the stairs down...
... and up.
... and up.
Last edited by lobster on 18 Feb 2010 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Continued.
Attachments
The library on the 2nd floor (or 3rd, if you count the minifloor inbetween).
The library on the 2nd floor (or 3rd, if you count the minifloor inbetween).
Whilst building i look back at the roof. We put quite some work into that.
Whilst building i look back at the roof. We put quite some work into that.
Eoin looking happy, before the towers were built.
Eoin looking happy, before the towers were built.

Return to “Off-Topic”