FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by GarryG »

Michpi wrote: 28 Apr 2021 05:59 I think that if you will just show warning message instead of disabling FIRS, it'll be much better solution.
Maybe in Bananas and on forum a simple message to warn players that the games default vehicles and some older sets does not work with FIRS4.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:09 Question: Does this issue exist with OpenGFX + Trains and OpenGFX + Road Vehicles?
Nope, as far as I know OGFX+ solves all of this ;)
If not, then can these be added to the baseset group?
Nope, that's just not how base sets work :)

There is a viable solution which could be done in OpenTTD. The code is relatively trivial. The community drama that will result is not trivial, which makes it non-viable.
GarryG wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:51 Maybe in Bananas and on forum a simple message to warn players that the games default vehicles and some older sets does not work with FIRS4.
Or indeed FIRS 1, 2, 3, XIS, AuzIndustries, or ECS or SPI, or almost all the industry grfs. Pretty much all of them break the default vehicles. :)
Michpi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Michpi »

GarryG wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:51
Michpi писал(а): ↑28 апр 2021 08:59
I think that if you will just show warning message instead of disabling FIRS, it'll be much better solution.
Maybe in Bananas and on forum a simple message to warn players that the games default vehicles and some older sets does not work with FIRS4.
Why in Bananas or on forum?
Ingame, of course, when someone starts a new game.
If there is no "Whitelisted" vehicle's grf.
Something like this (Text must be different, of course :) )
3.jpg
3.jpg (17.19 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:52
wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:09 If not, then can these be added to the baseset group?
Nope, that's just not how base sets work :)
Damn! There go those pesky lights again! :idea: :idea: :idea:
I do believe that BaNaNas has a dependency/requirement feature whereby supporting GRFs are a must.
Make the appropriate OpenGFX + files a must for FIRS from Bananas.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 11:37 I do believe that BaNaNas has a dependency/requirement feature whereby supporting GRFs are a must.
That only makes it a requirement to download them, not use them in a game ;)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

andythenorth wrote: 27 Apr 2021 19:16 I have seen too many reports of players who don't have any vehicles available for FIRS cargos and/or that FIRS breaks the default vehicles.

It's irresponsible for FIRS not to fix this.

So future versions of FIRS will require specific vehicle grfs to be loaded, otherwise FIRS will disable itself.
I understand your motivation for this but would suggest introducing a user setting to disable/override that check, because a) sometimes the user doesn't care and b) sometimes your check will be wrong. And users who can find the NewGRF parameter menu are unlikely to also get utterly confused if they run into compatibility issues.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote: 28 Apr 2021 18:31
wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 11:37 I do believe that BaNaNas has a dependency/requirement feature whereby supporting GRFs are a must.
That only makes it a requirement to download them, not use them in a game ;)
Agreed, but if the player has been having issues, at least they can be pointed to a file in their PC that works.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:04 Agreed, but if the player has been having issues, at least they can be pointed to a file in their PC that works.
But without significant development effort they WON'T be pointed to a file in their PC that works, and it doesn't help them very much that it would be possible in theory to do so.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Taschi wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:07
wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:04 Agreed, but if the player has been having issues, at least they can be pointed to a file in their PC that works.
But without significant development effort they WON'T be pointed to a file in their PC that works, and it doesn't help them very much that it would be possible in theory to do so.
You misunderstood me. The player posts their issue in this topic and someone who is aware of the fix points them to the file.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:16 You misunderstood me. The player posts their issue in this topic and someone who is aware of the fix points them to the file.
I don't see a benefit to this? There isn't really a difference between telling that player "Install the OpenGFX+ NewGRF" or telling them "Enable the OpenGFX+ NewGRF".
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Taschi wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:18
wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:16 You misunderstood me. The player posts their issue in this topic and someone who is aware of the fix points them to the file.
I don't see a benefit to this? There isn't really a difference between telling that player "Install the OpenGFX+ NewGRF" or telling them "Enable the OpenGFX+ NewGRF".
It saves them the time and trouble of having to download it.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:23 It saves them the time and trouble of having to download it.
It saves them a minute of hassle at best, but it won't reduce the number of people who run into this problem and then a) just stop playing or b) flood the forums here and on Steam with their questions.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Taschi wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:30
wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:23 It saves them the time and trouble of having to download it.
It saves them a minute of hassle at best, but it won't reduce the number of people who run into this problem and then a) just stop playing or b) flood the forums here and on Steam with their questions.
My proposal has been posted.
What is your proposal?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

wallyweb wrote: 28 Apr 2021 19:56 My proposal has been posted.
What is your proposal?
This question hinges on the assumption that doing something is inherently better than doing nothing. But your suggestion completely fails to address the problem at hand, offering almost no value, but with the cost of cluttering the user's NewGRF list with addons that are not even actually necessary in order to play the game.

My proposal is, leave things as they are, until you find an approach to solving this problem that has more upsides than downsides.

The point here is, OpenGFX+ is not a dependency of FIRS. There are at least a dozen vehicle packs that work with FIRS.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

It's too bad that global vars can't be written to before the error checking process during GRF initialization. That would allow for some new vars that vehicle set authors could enable to declare their sets as universally industry-set compatible, which could then be checked by any industry NewGRF to throw an error if missing. Essentially your "whitelist" idea, but it would force vehicle set authors to specifically enable it, and it would be available to any industry set instead of exclusive to just FIRS.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Can FIRS check if NO vehicle GRFs are loaded (ie the presence of the baseset vehicles)? I know Andy would hate it, but in that case maybe FIRS can include some code to silently replace those vehicles with Cargo Class enabled versions of themselves.

From a new/naïve user standpoint this would seem to be the best in terms of seamless design / quality of life, rather than "wrong vehicles? No Soup for You!"
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

supermop wrote: 04 May 2021 15:05 Can FIRS check if NO vehicle GRFs are loaded (ie the presence of the baseset vehicles)? I know Andy would hate it, but in that case maybe FIRS can include some code to silently replace those vehicles with Cargo Class enabled versions of themselves.

From a new/naïve user standpoint this would seem to be the best in terms of seamless design / quality of life, rather than "wrong vehicles? No Soup for You!"
I don't think this is possible, sadly. I think the best bet might be to wait for this feature to be fully implemented.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I'm playing with the lastest version of FIRS, and I'm not sure about it, but something looks like to be wrong with the translations : most of the french tanslation are absent while I'm pretty sure most of them were present in the previous version.

I tried to check translation status on this page, but all links (check status, apply and translate) are broken :
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... tions.html
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at translator.openttdcoop.org Port 80
Any chance to get the translations back again ? Or at least could I translate some of the strings.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I'm currently trying to find a version of this page for the current version of FIRS 4. Does something like this exist? Google, unfortunally, isn't really helping.

Return to “Graphics Development”