Long vehicles v5. Planning

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Select code

Poll ended at 24 Jan 2009 17:51

2 parts
8%
1 part
17%
Combined (1+2)
58%
Front part code
13%
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Long vehicles v5. Planning

Post by khamura »

They look very, very good already. Superb work, George! :bow:

The distance between the first and the second trailer seems a tad too long though -- is that a limitation of the code?
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

khamura wrote:They look very, very good already. Superb work, George! :bow:
Blending trucks are a strange thing, but current code does not leave me the other choice.
khamura wrote:The distance between the first and the second trailer seems a tad too long though -- is that a limitation of the code?
Yes. Every part has at leas a length of 3/8. This the gap between parts.
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:Off topic, but George, you might like this (from one of my favourite blogs)

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big- ... signe.html
They are not drawings :( making a concept car is really a pain. Spitzer colany is unfinished yet :(
Image Image Image Image
atalantino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by atalantino »

andythenorth wrote:Off topic, but George, you might like this (from one of my favourite blogs)http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big- ... signe.html
I might want to be a truck driver in 2020! Better looking than sportive cars! :P
FORZA BERGAMASCA CALCIO ATALANTA
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

I'd like to announce the first concept GRF available. It is not playable, because RV’s characteristics are random, but gives the understanding of the concept. Before my next step, I’d like to get some feedback.
If the concept is accepted, the next step would be to provide trailers. There is one trailer already in (see Volvo box van), so you can get the understanding what would trailers be.
After trailers are provided, I’ll focus on characteristics. It would be a hard step, because realistic acceleration is not provided for RVs and balancing them would be hard.
Anyway, have a look and give me a feedback, please.
Attachments
5LVtruckw.rar
(206.12 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Image Image Image Image
Cudar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cudar »

I think they are very good. I like the LV4 very much, and I'm sure, that you'll make a good work on the LV5 too, George. :)
KG Studios Cudar (latest news about RVR) - Romania in OTTD tt-forums topic - Romania in OTTD website - RomTrain Graphics
Creator of the Road Vehicles in Romania set
ImageImage
peetleouf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by peetleouf »

I think your LV5 set is amazing, but i have just one question, why the Opel Blitz is articulated, it's look weird.
blitzkrieg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blitzkrieg »

George wrote:I'd like to announce the first concept GRF available. It is not playable, because RV’s characteristics are random, but gives the understanding of the concept. Before my next step, I’d like to get some feedback.
If the concept is accepted, the next step would be to provide trailers. There is one trailer already in (see Volvo box van), so you can get the understanding what would trailers be.
After trailers are provided, I’ll focus on characteristics. It would be a hard step, because realistic acceleration is not provided for RVs and balancing them would be hard.
Anyway, have a look and give me a feedback, please.
Looks & works great!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Have you shortened the spitzer trucks as compared to Lv4??
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Will there be a 32 bpp version, or is that asking too much, or am I being a pillock and missing what has already been said? :lol:
Hmm, what should I put here...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

peetleouf wrote:I think your LV5 set is amazing, but i have just one question, why the Opel Blitz is articulated, it's look weird.
Every truck looks weird because of articulation. But making them articulated, while the other trucks are not, would make replacing of vehicles really a pain, because you'd need to replace lorry bays too. Because of that, every vehicle in the set would be articulated. Even if it fits 8/8 template.
blitzkrieg wrote:Have you shortened the spitzer trucks as compared to Lv4??
I did not change the cabins. But I transformed semi-trailers into the truck bodies, so they can be called shortened.
mrMann wrote:Will there be a 32 bpp version, or is that asking too much, or am I being a pillock and missing what has already been said? :lol:
They are drawn, not rendered. That means 32 bpp version would never be available.

No comment about trailers. Did anybody try them?
Image Image Image Image
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I think that buses should stay as they are to be perfectly honest, the buses in v4 seem fine, apart from the articulated ones. But i think all the lorries, and the articulated buses should be properly articulated at the articulation point.

Obviously the tunnel glitch is a problem, but how much do people actually use road tunnels??
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

*raises hand*
Hmm, what should I put here...
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Do you spend all of your time watching your tunnels??
Sabret00th
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sabret00th »

I do spent some time on them... ;)

(Wow, two people using road tunnels! :lol: )
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Well what i'm getting at, is that the small graphical glitch is a reasonable trade off for the advantage of this brilliant GRF set.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

+1 on the above post.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

I've came to the next decision point.
I have to decide the capacity characteristics. Unfortunately, realistic acceleration is not provided for RVs in OTTD and future plans of this feature is not clean enough. I do not want to make the change when the support is provided. So I want to have some model to define characteristics.

Do anybody have any ideas?

P.S. My ideas would be kept in secret for some time to prevent loosing possible alternatives.
Attachments
5LVtruckw.rar
LV5 demo file
(268.79 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Image Image Image Image
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

It's a good question. One of the things that was a little annoying in v4 was that there was not much difference between most of the trucks. Perhaps if you could stagger them so that there was a "smaller" vehicle in between each big one? for example:

Opel: Small, Slow, Cheap
International: Big, Slow, Really expensive
Maz: Small, Medium, Medium
Mercedes: Big, Medium, Expensive
Skoda: Small, Medium, cheap
Volvo: Big, Medium, cheap
Spitzer: Big, Fast, Expensive

Make the difference in running costs enough to mean that you don't want to automatically update to the newest vehicle as soon as it comes out, and I think it will make it more fun.
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Laui
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Laui »

I agree to the post above... It's quite boring to just upgrade to the next series cause its more efficient. There shout be a difference, might not for every series but at least to have a reason to keep one truck over two or three series... for example one big but slow one for big capacities and one fast but medium size as a feeder...

about the capacity... As far as I know the Opel Blitz original was only able to load about 3 ton... I thing that shoud be at least 5 t and on the other end ... In Germany your only aloud to get 40 t on the road... I don't know about other countries... I thing the capacity is also addicted to the engine power, so there shoud be a relation.

That's all I can Help...

But thanks a lot for your work George, your one of those who keep me playing :bow:

Return to “Graphics Development”