Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Don't stop train with loading in front of red signal

Post by avdg »

Hi openttd,

I was thinking about the cargo destination, and I'm thinking about things to improve simulating the real life.
I travel much by train and that brought me too an idea what isn't implemented yet in openttd.

In openttd, trains would always leave the station, even if the signal red...
so I suggest a patch for waiting at station until the sign is green...

I saw already many situations where trains are leaving, but still are waiting in front of a red signal. I don't like that!!!
Also, it will allow (in combination with presignals) to have more control about depart of trains.

ps: Trains should only wait when there is a signal at the next tile... it should be stupid if a train is waiting for a signal 100 tiles away from the station :rolleyes:
#openttdcoop - building at the new revolution

Do you know a smarter moment then discovering that you where doing something wrong?
Progman
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Don't stop train with loading in front of red signal

Post by Progman »

But it still can happends that a train is waiting before such a red signal even if such a patch is implemented. There is a chance a train leaves the station as it sees the green signal and then the signal turns red. Now the train is waiting again before the red signal and not loading at the station ;). The idea is great, thought about it several times too, but how to solve this problem?
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Progman wrote:There is a chance a train leaves the station as it sees the green signal and then the signal turns red. Now the train is waiting again before the red signal and not loading at the station ;). The idea is great, thought about it several times too, but how to solve this problem?
That won't be an issue with PBS signals though, if the train reserved its path.
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

I am thinking about a reserved block when the train is speeding up... dont know if that is possible...
at normal cases, the train is about to enter the next block

Edit: ow yeah... train must then be forced to go then :D

Do you know a smarter moment then discovering that you where doing something wrong?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Progman wrote:There is a chance a train leaves the station as it sees the green signal and then the signal turns red.
There's zero chance of that on real railways, because real trains need some sort of advance warning before they can stop. In OpenTTD (except my server, which is still 0.6.3) I always plan my signalling such that a signal will never, ever, turn from green to red whilst a train approaches it.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

I found 1 more problem: what if a train needs to reverse at a station, it cost time before he reach the signal and stopping to continue with loading is not a option

ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

I think I see your idea. (Don't worry, your English is much better than my French.)

When a train finishes loading at a station, it pulls up to the signal at the end of the platform, but it may have to wait for a clear signal. Meanwhile, another train has pulled in to the next platform, and the departing train just misses picking up that cargo. Or with an industry set, the train pulls up to the signal half-loaded, but meanwhile the industry is still producing goods. Have I got it so far?

Sounds like a good idea, although I have no idea how to implement it, or even if it's possible. Not very realistic, as you don't see workers still loading cargo into rail cars while the train is waiting at the signal. (Sorry Belugas, I used the "R word" again.)
Who is John Galt?
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

For an example of a train departure controller, see this screenshot:
Attachments
Example of a station with departure controller, example: let trains wait for other trains before leaving
Example of a station with departure controller, example: let trains wait for other trains before leaving
stationController.PNG (39.55 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Last edited by avdg on 09 Jan 2009 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

IRL, in the UK at least, station staff have a TRTS (train ready to start) button. When the train is in the platform and loading they push this and a route is created out of the platform. Once clearance has been given the train doors are locked and the train leaves. If routing cannot be given at that time the signal stays red and the train waits for it to go green.

If this can be implemented i feel that it would be a great new feature
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

@ostlandr: Maybe this may help:

Train arrive, go to loading

Loading: Train is loading, go to CheckReservation when there is nothing (possible) to load

CheckReservation: Can it reserve the next block? True: go to Reservation, False: go to Loading

Reservation: Reserve next block/path and leave the station
Last edited by avdg on 01 Feb 2009 14:13, edited 2 times in total.

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

This only make sense if you don't do 'full load' afaik.

I only use that for passengers and mail only, so this would have almost no impact in my games.
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

I think this is a good idea, not very important though. My interpretation is that placing a signal on the tile in front of the station implicitly places it at the station endtile.

I use almost only passengers when playing cargodest, and no full load orders :)
Try my modular airports minigame!

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I was thinking about it lately. Yellow light would help, a light would turn yellow if any next light is red, yellow light would make train to slow half (or to a certain speed)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

Where do you want to put these signals?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”