Simutrans : pak 96 comic

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Simutrans : pak 96 comic

Post by planetmaker »

A. Brose wrote:By the way, can somebody tell me something about the color depth of OpenTTD gfx?
And if there's a color palette.
Graphics can come in two colour depths, 8bit and 32bit. The default depth is 8bit which requires a palette (from Purno's drawing tutorial - you find much more useful graphics stuff related to (O)TTD(P) graphics in his signature): http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/re ... lette.html
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Briefly : OpenTTD supports both 8 and 32 bit color depth.
Yes, there is a palette for 8 bits. Given time, I can provide it.
I thank you for the effort. But remember, we would not want to let you do all the burden of the task.
In fact, honestly, it should be on our shoulders.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
A. Brose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by A. Brose »

Thank you, planetmaker & belugas!

There're different options:
1. We rescale the graphics (buildings, trees but no ways and bridges (it's easier to create new graphics here for them)) and you integrate them.
2. We give you all source graphics, so you can rescale and modify for OpenTTD yourself (i prefer to rescale myself).
3. We show you the source graphics and you mark all graphics, you need - we'll rescale them.
4. You have better ideas. Post them! :)

After all i can show you three sample graphics (32bit).
What do you think?
Attachments
64alexhaus117.png
64alexhaus117.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
64alexhaus119.png
64alexhaus119.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 23762 times
64alexhaus122.png
64alexhaus122.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 23763 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If you prefer to scale the graphics yourself, I don't think anyone from OpenTTD is gonna object ;)

Again, these graphics rock, and would be very cool to have in OpenTTD.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

A. Brose wrote: After all i can show you three sample graphics (32bit).
What do you think?
Looks beautyful. Such a set should be possible in 8bit too? The comic style seems to be designed for 8bit graphics (nevertheless your three samples have between 900 and 1700 colours).

Tschö, Auge
A. Brose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by A. Brose »

Well, the showed graphics were rescaled by resampling, not resizing. It's cleaner but makes the compiling in 8bit more difficult.
Actually i planned to try the graphics in 8bit in the next days. I don't have time this weekend but i'll make it next week, be sure. :)

As far as i know 2x2 city buildings are possible in OpenTTD? So we could use 2x2 tiles for highrises und skyscrapers. Looks much better.

Nice greetings from "neighbor" Hamburg. :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

A. Brose wrote:As far as i know 2x2 city buildings are possible in OpenTTD? So we could use 2x2 tiles for highrises und skyscrapers. Looks much better.
1x1, 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2.
However, I'm not sure whether the sprites should be cut into single tiles for coding related stuff. I bet a TTD NewGRF coder could tell that.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Japa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Japa »

here's those buildings in 8bpp, with some minor dithering

I don't think they look too bad

I've also made the city roads, all but the slopes.
Attachments
64alexhaus117.png
64alexhaus117.png (4.84 KiB) Viewed 23726 times
64alexhaus119.png
64alexhaus119.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 23728 times
64alexhaus122.png
64alexhaus122.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 23728 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Awesome! But are they compatible with the TT palette, me wonders...
Image Image
A. Brose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by A. Brose »

Purno wrote:Awesome! But are they compatible with the TT palette, me wonders...
I'm wondering, too. It's 8bit but not with the TT palette.

And they're a little bit too squashy. Please wait till monday - i'll have sharper graphics then.
Um... So i could make all graphics in 32bit and somebody from here could compile them in 8bit? Easier for me. Actually i don't know how to compile in 8bit TT palette... :oops:
Japa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Japa »

Purno wrote:Awesome! But are they compatible with the TT palette, me wonders...
I directly applied the TTD pallet, but I didn't check for reserved colors being used.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

These graphics do look very good :) although I don't know for sure if a comicy suits OTTD that well but it sure is worth a try.

If you convert a image to the TTD palette and you're not sure you have non action colours only you can always run palconvert (search) over the image, it will replace all action colors to the nearest non-action color. I personally would like this set to be a 32bpp replacement though, I don't really like the rendered 32bpp graphics.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

A. Brose wrote: 1. We rescale the graphics (buildings, trees but no ways and bridges (it's easier to create new graphics here for them)) and you integrate them.
2. We give you all source graphics, so you can rescale and modify for OpenTTD yourself (i prefer to rescale myself).
those two options are the most interesting ones, from my point of view
A. Brose wrote:After all i can show you three sample graphics (32bit).
What do you think?
They are looking SOOOO WOW!

Contrary to XeryusTC, I do think they'll fit very well with OpenTTD, as long as they are on a set by themselves.
Mixing both normal and comic set would indeed be strange and odd, to say the least.

And in my humble opinion, 32bp should be the way to go, since more freedom can be achieved as much as color placement, rescaling and such.
Note: I am definitively not a graphic artist. By far. So my opinion stands for not much...
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I would go for the 32bpp, at least it would be useful for something :)

And I guess it would be very limiting to squeeze whole set into 8bpp.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

belugas wrote:
A. Brose wrote:After all i can show you three sample graphics (32bit).
What do you think?
They are looking SOOOO WOW!
Very much indeed!

If the choice is between 8bpp and 32bpp, I'd advocate 32bpp, too. Downscaling is always easier possible later on, if still desired, upscaling not.

Two thumbs up!
MrFrans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrFrans »

I would much prefer it as a 32bpp too. And like planetmaker says, it is easier to convert them later to 8bpp.

You guys have done a great job, the graphics look great.
"A script is what you give the actors. A program is what you give the audience."
-Larry Wall
A. Brose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by A. Brose »

Well, we should start a new topic in OTTD graphic section.
I have three sharper and flipped graphics for you (32bit, no OTTD palette). Three of hundrets. :D

I really hope there's no limit for the number of city buildings.
Feel free to modify little details! The copyright is by me if not otherwise reported.

What about animated buildings?
Attachments
64alexhaus119.png
64alexhaus119.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 26247 times
64alexhaus122.png
64alexhaus122.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 26250 times
64parking.png
64parking.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 26258 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

A. Brose wrote:What about animated buildings?
Apart from action colors (pixels which have a pattern of switching colors), I haven't seen any animated buildings in OpenTTD yet...
Image Image
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Purno wrote:
A. Brose wrote:What about animated buildings?
Apart from action colors (pixels which have a pattern of switching colors), I haven't seen any animated buildings in OpenTTD yet...
You did. There is an building with animated elevator in the original graphics. And cinemas and theatres in TTRS have animated signs too.
Last edited by CommanderZ on 16 Mar 2009 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, true, NewGRF supports animated buildings. I remember Zimmlock's exploding Hospital now :D
Image Image

Return to “Simutrans”