Backseat moderation

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Backseat moderation

Post by jvassie »

JamieLei wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:Unbelieveable comment. Another pointer to the gradual decline of standards of moderation on this forum.
And I'd suppose Dave would make a better moderator :roll:

Here we go again GW..

I wouldn't say your likely to have ever been reported Mr. X, you are definitely one of the more rule-bound amongst us :)
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I only said that cause he seems to be the only one over the last x months/years that has continuously argued with the moderators ;) - spaceman-spiff, Hyronomous, jonty-comp etc
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Dave

Post by Dave »

JamieLei wrote:I only said that cause he seems to be the only one over the last x months/years that has continuously argued with the moderators ;) - spaceman-spiff, Hyronomous, jonty-comp etc
Not that they were all subjective in their moderating against me, or anything - but that's fine, see; because they haven't said anything against you.

Let us take a look at our other moderators - Raichase, Andel, GoneWacko - none of these three have ever been subjective when moderating in a topic that I am involved in. As such I respect all three. orudge doesn't get subjective - I respect him too.

Note a pattern here?

It seems perfectly clear to me that jonty-comp is deliberately subjective to provoke me into reacting bad enough that he can let his web-ego grow by issuing me a warning and Hyronymus just plain doesn't like me (unlucky, really).

JamieLei - I do think I could make a better moderator than these two, if only because I wouldn't side against someone who I didn't get on with; I'd leave the issue to another moderator to sort.

But hey - jonty-comp's a safe choice right? A young lad who doesn't generally make enemies on the forum and keeps himself to himself? Maybe, until you give him the position. Then he feels it is his right to barge in, create his own morals and thoughts and moderate against anyone who doesn't agree. That's not moderation, that's just abuse of power.

Incidentally, before we all kick off saying "Dave Worley started the argument", let us not forget it was JamieLei who started with the antagonistic comments.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Objection. The whole "unbelievable comment..." then commenting on Hyronomous' moderating started it off long before I posted anything. And if all the moderators turn a blind eye/leave the issue to another moderator, then noone will end up sorting out problems. I also don't believe that jonty abused any power.

But thenagain I'll shush now, since it's not my business to talk about moderating :)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Dave

Post by Dave »

You just disagree with anything I say just to p*** me off.

You made the first antagonistic comment towards me. Referring the issue to another moderator will not delay the issue. And jonty-comp has quite happily become power hungry, and I am not the only one who thinks it.

Basically, in no uncertain terms (and I've waited a long time to do this with a decent reason), shut the hell up. You're an idiot who since arrival has caused no end of problems with several users and simply exist to antagonise people. Whenever I make a point you simply HAVE to find something to disagree with it.

It's about time, rather than you keep pointing out everyone else's problems, everyone else points out the fact that there was none of this crap before you came along.

Flickr

jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Dave Worley wrote:<words about moderating>
Sounds like someone's jealous. :P </sarcasm>

P.S. Seeing as it seems to be what started this whole argument in the first place, I'd better stick those </sarcasm> tags in there.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jonty-comp wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:<words about moderating>
Sounds like someone's jealous. :P </sarcasm>

P.S. Seeing as it seems to be what started this whole argument in the first place, I'd better stick those </sarcasm> tags in there.
Case. In. Point.

You're a f*** idiot. Ban that.

Flickr

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

You could have made the whole situation better without that comment, Jonty, by actually taking a serious line. Nevermind though...
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Ameecher wrote:You could have made the whole situation better without that comment, Jonty, by actually taking a serious line. Nevermind though...
I have learnt not to take people like Dave seriously anymore because whatever I say in defence they will find a way to shoot it down and claim victory, no matter how tenuous or strange the counter may seem. Anyway, this place would be boring without Dave's argumentative ways!
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

You're all boring. I don't really give a rat's arse how this place is moderated, as long as people aren't banned unnecessarily it pretty much runs itself, everyone's pretty damn tame anyway.
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Dave Worley wrote:Basically, in no uncertain terms (and I've waited a long time to do this with a decent reason), shut the hell up. You're an idiot who since arrival has caused no end of problems with several users and simply exist to antagonise people. Whenever I make a point you simply HAVE to find something to disagree with it.

It's about time, rather than you keep pointing out everyone else's problems, everyone else points out the fact that there was none of this crap before you came along.
Now I know that we don't share views on most things, but just because I might not agree in absolutely everything you do, doesn't mean that I'm deliberately arguing against you. Might I point out that the whole "Attack JamieLei's signature" and "FAO:JameiLei" threads weren't started by me, and I took time to reasonably explain why my views might be differently from yours. I admit I was backseat moderating with regards to the swearing issue, but I apologise and I haven't done that for a long time.

Problems with several users? Kindly explain.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Not to make it any worse. But errr...
Dave, Shut Up. For once. And Jamielei, drop it.
Last known as: Weirdy
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

SkeedR wrote:Not to make it any worse. But errr...
Oi, that's just the kind of backseat moderating we're on about. You can say pretty much the same thing without being all 'do what I say or I vill kill yu!'.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Shut up yourself, idiot. If you've got nothing that will progress the argument beyond the stage in which you found it, don't comment at all.

There's nothing I hate more than people who contribute in no way whatsoever.

Flickr

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Yeah!

Oh balls.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Lately it has become my 'philosophy' that people can only say things as a joke or sarcastic comment when it in some way reflects their opinion.

While I have since then found out that this does not always hold true, there are certainly cases where this observation *does* seem to apply. Without wishing to side with anyone or wishing to offend anyone, I will use Jonty's statement as an example of this. Mostly because he's already been flamed for making the statement in the first place. :P

In my opinion, saying "sounds like you're jealous" at the very least means that you are feeling proud about whatever you have that others don't. The thought of showing off about it did come into your mind, but you wisely decided not to.
However, the way I interpret it, your sarcastic comment was an indirect if not direct result from the line of thought.

I might be entirely wrong about this, though. All I know is that the above holds true for me: There have been plenty of times where I've jokingly called people things because that's actually what my opinion of them happened to be. Not *every* joke is a concealed form of criticism, though. Plenty of jokes or sarcastic comments come from sheer sense of humour.

I don't know where I was going with whatever I wrote above, but I'm sure someone'll get it :p

As for the situation: I've not been on top of things as much as others, so I can not form an objective opinion of the matter. I've heard some opinions from people I respect, from either side of the issue. I'll dig a little deeper and then maybe I can enlighten you all with my personal opinion.
After that it gets to be up to you to disregard it and continue squabbling :p
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GoneWacko wrote:Lately it has become my 'philosophy' that people can only say things as a joke or sarcastic comment when it in some way reflects their opinion.

While I have since then found out that this does not always hold true, there are certainly cases where this observation *does* seem to apply. Without wishing to side with anyone or wishing to offend anyone, I will use Jonty's statement as an example of this. Mostly because he's already been flamed for making the statement in the first place. :P

In my opinion, saying "sound like you're jealous" at the very least means that you are feeling proud about whatever you have that others don't. The thought of showing off about it did come into your mind, but you wisely decided not to.
However, the way I interpret it, your sarcastic comment was an indirect if not direct result from the line of thought.

I might be entirely wrong about this, though. All I know is that the above holds true for me: There have been plenty of times where I've jokingly called people things because that's actually what my opinion of them happened to be. Not *every* joke is a concealed form of criticism, though. Plenty of jokes or sarcastic comments come from sheer sense of humour.

I don't know where I was going with whatever I wrote above, but I'm sure someone'll get it :p

As for the situation: I've not been on top of things as much as others, so I can not form an objective opinion of the matter. I've heard some opinions from people I respect, from either side of the issue. I'll dig a little deeper and then maybe I can enlighten you all with my personal opinion.
After that it gets to be up to you to disregard it and continue squabbling :p
Note to jonty-comp: Read, Learn, Understand.

Flickr

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Dave Worley wrote:
Shut up yourself, idiot. If you've got nothing that will progress the argument beyond the stage in which you found it, don't comment at all.

There's nothing I hate more than people who contribute in no way whatsoever.
I do it for the lulz. Ololololol.

By the way, great work from the mods. ;)
Last known as: Weirdy
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Dave Worley wrote:Note to jonty-comp: Read, Learn, Understand.
I have read, learnt and understood, thank you for alerting me to the post I had already read.

Now if you don't mind, I don't want to be sat in Physics at school tomorrow morning, because we're learning about mesons and it's all very interesting, so I shall go to bed!
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

Dave Worley wrote:There's nothing I hate more than people who contribute in no way whatsoever.
Dude, right now, all you're contributing is hate.
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”

Return to “News”