Feature porting road vehicles

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

mtwist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Feature porting road vehicles

Post by mtwist »

Hi,

since the patch has evolved a lot in the last months I will finally place a suggestion/request.

While there is a tremendous progress in useful features for everything that is related to railway transportation I miss some of these features for the other ways of transportation. The knowledge exists, so I at least assume that the effort should be less to port them ?(

In words:
- Cloning road vehicles, planes and ships (especially now having articulated road vehicles support).
- Advanced bridges and tunnels for road vehicles (perpendicular streets under any bridges, custom bridge heads, everything over any tunnel entrance).
- Conditional orders.
- Refitting during "runtime".

And here we go for an extra wish :D :
- Build drive through bus/lorry stops without removing the street before.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Feature porting road vehicles

Post by DaleStan »

mtwist wrote:- Conditional orders.
- Refitting during "runtime".
You mean like this?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
mtwist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mtwist »

Ah yes, this is what I meant! :o Thanks for the hint!

So the list is reduced to
- Cloning
- Custom bridge heads
- Ext. tunnels
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

mtwist wrote:So the list is reduced to
- Cloning
- Custom bridge heads
- Ext. tunnels
- Cloning Road Vehicles is fairly easy to implement, at least cloning (a)rv's without manual articulation, however I have no real plans to implement it,
- Custom bridge heads, I was under the impression TTDPatch already had custom bridge heads and it was OpenTTD lacking them.
- Ext Tunnels, please do elaborate on this, do you mean like rails over bridge heads for roads?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well roads are much wider so I didn't like to do enhance tunnels with them... (There would be routing problems for RV Vehicle too)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
mtwist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mtwist »

Regarding tunnels, in best case we have the possibility to have everything over every tunnel entrance (i.e. roads over railway tunnels and vice versa as well as roads over road tunnels and so on). Maybe even handle the tile above the entrance as ordinary tile. But I agree with eis_os, the graphical solution needs to be discussed.

Custom bridge heads are possible in TTDPatch, that's true. I actually meant more custom bridges having perpendicular roads beneath (as it is possible for railway now - diagonal tracks under railway bridges).
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Perpendicular roads under bridges should be possible without undue hardship.
Enhanced road bridges is difficult both graphically and because road vehicle movement IMO is already very dodgy and hacked to pieces, and this introduces yet more scope for problems. So I would suggest that this be left until a) someone draws something sensible to use, and b) road vehicle (an in particular aRV) movement is properly sorted.
At the moment road vehicles can get stuck, unnecessarily lost, decoupled, etc.
Furthermore, the initial enhanced tunnel code is extremely hacky and uses many unscrupulous techniques, which frankly I suspect I and other devs do not want to have to repeat (although much of this is alleviated by the new advzfunction code), so waiting until a new/extended map array is done would likely make it easier to code and probably more flexible to use.
Cloning is feasible, and ought to be doable for all other vehicle types, it's mostly a matter of GUI hacking.

Note that this is all my opinion...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Cloning consists would be easy enough, however they wouldn't be able to use clonetrain as such, it'd have to be cut down version.
A lot of the mouse tool could be tweaked to support multiple vehicle types.
Hooking the GUI is probably my least favourite part, partly because of the number of hacks they tend to have.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “Suggestions”