[OTTD] Generic Cars [v0.4] 22/02/2010

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Cars [v0.1]

Post by Purno »

I don't know how well vehicles drive without orders? Will they go round in circles or will they actually drive somewhere randomly?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

random colors for the cars would also be nice...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I used CC so that would be easy for any patch which uses the cars, does anyone have some code for recolouring CC to random colours I could hijack?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Maybe something similar to what defines the CC on some industries? I haven't gone looking over at that code yet, so I don't know.
Batti5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Batti5 »

they sud be implemented
Wish to earn some money for free just by viewing some advertisment? Click this banner for more info.
It is Legal.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Batti5 wrote:they sud be implemented
:roll: (Apologies, this is off-topic)

I don't want to be one of the forum grumpy people (there are enough), so here's some friendly advice: the more words you spell correctly, the more people will take what you say seriously. I've got no scientific evidence for this, but I believe it's true all the same. We all make spelling and grammar mistakes (apart from a very few, very odd people); making fewer mistakes is better.

Second piece of advice: Firefox has a built in spell-checker. Perhaps those of you who have spelling trouble might consider using Firefox for that reason? Or another browser with a spell-checker. I didn't say you should do this, just that you might...

cheers,

Andy
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

You realise of course that you'll be ignored on the basis that all good advice given out like that is always ignored?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Gremnon wrote:You realise of course that you'll be ignored on the basis that all good advice given out like that is always ignored?
Yep it's the one and only spelling rant I'm allowing myself on this forum.

Now back on topic. Traffic is an interesting idea. There are some vehicle sprites I would happily contribute. I'm not sure what it will do to gameplay, but there's only one way to find out...

cheers,

Andy
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

On that idea, I've hit a couple of roadblocks, pardon the pun.
Not code problems, more that I seem to be missing what I need to know about certain bits, so I'm going to leave this for the moment. Anyone else who wants to try, go ahead, I'm going to go for something just a little simpler.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Purno wrote:I don't know how well vehicles drive without orders? Will they go round in circles or will they actually drive somewhere randomly?
i'm afraid they'll mostly go in circles.

at least in TTO they always took right turns, afaik
Dave

Post by Dave »

In TTD I seem to recall it's a random effect of trying different routes.

I think if this was to work, you'd have to start a second company and give it the old 200 cars built.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Right...
Jon
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I sent a car out randomly, it does not run in circles but it seems to go right more often than not. It does not always, though. If we're to send out 200 of these over a map, I think some sort of waypoint should be inserted, perhaps like this:

Every town connected to a road leading to another town will work as a sort of station. You can make sure cars run between two stations. When car A runs between Town X and Y, it will randomly select one building in Town Y and get there, then run back to random building in Town X. this way, we can sort of simulate a realistic behavior, IE to/from work, to/from friends/family, etc.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

you want a realistic behavior, then just send out a couple of hundred of cars, you will get them running everywhere.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

How to build a Road Vehicle Way Point:

1. Build a railroad waypoint next to where you want your RV waypoint.
2. Build a drive through bus stop, drive through truck stop and/or tram stop attached to the railroad waypoint.
3. Demolish the railroad way point.
4. The drive through bus stop, drive through truck stop and/or tram stop will retain the non-stop characteristics of the waypoint.

8)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Or, if you're using adjacentstations, build a railroad waypoint somewhere near the desired road waypoint and attach the bus/truck/tram station to the railroad waypoint.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zutty
Director
Director

Post by Zutty »

Sorry to dig up this old-ish thread.

Zephyris - have you considered making a set of Taxis? I know they would have to have a low capacity and so they wouldn't be very profitable, but it would make a nice change and liven up the streets in TTD. :D
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zutty wrote:Sorry to dig up this old-ish thread.

Zephyris - have you considered making a set of Taxis? I know they would have to have a low capacity and so they wouldn't be very profitable, but it would make a nice change and liven up the streets in TTD. :D
Did I hear somebody calling for a taxi? There be taxis here. 8)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It would be very easy, just need to find some time to do it!
Eelco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eelco »

Haha, sweet one this GRF. Now the trafficlight patch can also make sense, busy cities, jammed with cars waiting for the lights.
Maybe it's also possible to please local authorities if you reduce traffic in a city by offering a good public transport system.
TT fan since 1995 - Trying to create a steam tram on narrow gauge track. HELP!

Return to “Graphics Development”