Urban Monorail

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Urban Monorail

Post by ervin2 »

This could be pretty much the TTD version of a subway, an additional road type. Basically it could be like trams, but it's always one tile up in the air, much like an endless bridge, and it could be built over any road type, so you can have buses, trams, and monorail simultaneously carry passengers along one building filled street. It's only a few wagons long, but still carries more than trams and is fairly fast. It would be very good if taller buildings would be introduced, so seeing the track snake it's way through the tall buildings would look quite visually cool, and the increased amount of passengers would make it useful.

Since it works like a bridge, any road or rail can always go under it, but if you want to go over it you need to have a bridge that is at least two tiles high. Lastly, to keep it realistic and balanced, it would be far more expensive to build than buses or trams. What do you think?
Keyoke
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Urban Monorail

Post by Keyoke »

Perhaps like this...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38413

No doubt it is a nifty idea, one I would be in favour of as currently monorail in OTTD is basically a waste of time. Building new track as monorail seems pointless when it will be obsolete due to maglev in a relatively short space of time.

Also, the monorail as we have it seems to be more of a maglev than a monorail - unless i missed some express monorail services that aren't maglev and go 200mph ...
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

Keyoke wrote:Perhaps like this...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38413

No doubt it is a nifty idea, one I would be in favour of as currently monorail in OTTD is basically a waste of time. Building new track as monorail seems pointless when it will be obsolete due to maglev in a relatively short space of time.

Also, the monorail as we have it seems to be more of a maglev than a monorail - unless i missed some express monorail services that aren't maglev and go 200mph ...
Well the thread you linked me to is basically a replacement for the trams, and yes, the current monorails are quite pointless and unrealistic :P
Keyoke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Keyoke »

He may be replacing trams but i think thats as much so he doesn't have to handle the condition of trams and his monorail crossing (which would be complicated, i think). Other than that it is basically what you describe. You even say it should be like a tram.
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

I actually said it should be like a train, not tram. What I want is a city where both trams and monorails can carry people, in other words a monorail track can go on top of a tram track, so you have two levels of transportation. This is good for large cities where there is no room for anything other than trams and buses, but now you could simply build a monorail track in between the building that operates much like a train on a bridge. Think of a subway, but above ground, it doesn't interfere with traffic, yet is capable of carrying many people.
Keyoke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Keyoke »

This could be pretty much the TTD version of a subway, an additional road type. Basically it could be like trams,
That clearly says trams, not trains. Anyway, its beside the point. I suggest if you want to continue it posting in zephyris' thread is probably the best place, as it is closely related. Unless you want to start coding it yourself of course :)
Stienie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stienie »

Maybe not a monorail but a magnet train, and the stations? I think you better can make them just on the ground.
Scenarios: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 35#p715935
Yeah, I need to update it. Some of them are like crap. I made them when I was ten or something xD
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45027
Not many right now, but they're coming.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”