Patch problems - can't access CD! $

Problems with Transport Tycoon?
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Patch problems - can't access CD! $

Post by hattie »

Help me!
I've looked at all the other topics about this but, me being a computer dummy, I don't understand how to fix the problems.
I've downloaded both patch and TTD (I'm on Windows XP) but whenever I try to get into anything it says "Can't access CD! $" or something like that and goes away.
I'm desperate to start playing. Can someone please post basic directions on how to fix this trouble? Win2k is ON and I've registered it (using regedt32) fine. Help!
Cheers
hattie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch problems - can't access CD! $

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

hattie wrote:Help me!
I've looked at all the other topics about this but, me being a computer dummy, I don't understand how to fix the problems.
I've downloaded both patch and TTD (I'm on Windows XP) but whenever I try to get into anything it says "Can't access CD! $" or something like that and goes away.
I'm desperate to start playing. Can someone please post basic directions on how to fix this trouble? Win2k is ON and I've registered it (using regedt32) fine. Help!
Cheers
hattie
please download TTDPatch Starter and select "Create Registry Entry"
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

Okay I did that...it keeps getting jammed. Also, it can't find the directory for TTD.
I keep reading that you have to put the patch in the same "catalogue" or folder or something as TTD. What does this mean? I don't understand.
Thanks for helping me.

hattie
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

the patch has to be in the same folder as gamegfx.exe (where ttd is located)
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

Thanks John, that was very helpful
What's a Registry Error 4? This is my new problem. Man, this is a vicious circle.
Cheers
hattie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

try again TPS (Create Registry Entry) ... and this time select your TTD directory (which have to contain ttdpatchw.exe too) ...

any you need ALWAYS run game via ttdpatchw.exe
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

Where can I find ttdpatchw.exe? I can't see it anywhere...
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

hattie wrote:Where can I find ttdpatchw.exe? I can't see it anywhere...
it must be in your TTD directory
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

And what's a TTD directory? Forgive the dumbness of my questions but I am rather computer illiterate. Sorry.

hattie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

a folder, a directory where is your Transport Tycoon Deluxe ...
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

Oh right
There is ttdpatchw but not ttdpatchw.exe. And the search button on my computer can't find it either. Should I just rename it (stick an .exe on the end) or do something else? Also, if I doubleclick on ttdpatchw it comes up with a little black screen which says ttdloadw.ovl is ok, ttd is not installed properly, registry error 4, press any key to abort. This doesn't sound healthy.
hattie
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

windows xp doesnt always show extension names (or something like that).
if u right click on ttdpatchw then go down to properties, it will shold say file type: excutable (or something like that)
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

It says "Application" under file type. I did manage to make it compatible with Windows 95 but this hasn't made any difference to the general problems which are manifest.
hattie
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

yeah, its the right file then, however i cant help u with the other problems
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

hattie wrote:Oh right
There is ttdpatchw but not ttdpatchw.exe. And the search button on my computer can't find it either. Should I just rename it (stick an .exe on the end) or do something else? Also, if I doubleclick on ttdpatchw it comes up with a little black screen which says ttdloadw.ovl is ok, ttd is not installed properly, registry error 4, press any key to abort. This doesn't sound healthy.
hattie
run TTDPatch Starter, use again "Create Registry Entry" and when you will have to select directory, then select directory which contains Transport Tycoon Deluxe (if you select it right there will be properly message)
hattie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hattie »

The patch starter just jams when I try to choose a directory - I think it's C: drive which is the directory, does this sound right?
Oh, I'm so lost. Thanks for your help.
hattie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

hattie wrote:The patch starter just jams when I try to choose a directory - I think it's C: drive which is the directory, does this sound right?
Oh, I'm so lost. Thanks for your help.
hattie
in C: ?? can't you put TTD into C:\TTD ???
and yes, it hangs because of a bug which I forgot to fix, :? I'll fix it soon
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

the directory is C:\ which is where ever u put the game(eg C:\ttd or C:\program files\ttd)
double click on the c drive, then on the folder its in or the folder the folder which contains the game is in, till u get to gamegfx then copy the name in the address bar (me thinks this might not work as the default options is not to show the complete path)

this is an easier way, right click on gamegfx and go down to properties and click. In the window which pops up there is a line which says "Location:", to the right of this is something like "C:\ttd", this is the directory which contains ttd, the one you need to put into ttdstarter, copy it in, or just write it in, but make sure u put in all the \
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

there is an error in TPS while rerading drive letters without directories, beccause TPS is not adding autmoatically one '\' (backslash) so it try to C:GameGFX.exe which hangs up it .... it can be fixed in few minutes
and as solution for this:
create drectory in C:, like C:\TTD
put there all TTD files
and select C:\TTD

Return to “Problems”