(more) New Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

(more) New Airports

Post by Gedemon »

Here are a few airports that I've made while learning to use the FTA in OpenTTD.

I hope that I'll be able to update them to richk67's NewGRF ports at some point, but I'm affraid I'm not smart enough to learn the use of FTA and newgrf at the same time, so this first release will be hardcoded airports (ie : patch) :O

What's in :

- added initial approach and fixed holding area (small speed) to all airports, based on city airport model.
- 4 "new" airports : Zeppelin airfield, State airport (small), Marseille Provence (large), Rome Fiumicino (xlarge)

Download : compiled version for windows

edit : synched to 12722
r12722_more_airports.patch
More Airports patch file r12722
(78.35 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Attachments
Rome airport
Rome airport
Image3.png (72.6 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
Marseilles airport
Marseilles airport
Image4.png (63.45 KiB) Viewed 12101 times
Last edited by Gedemon on 15 Apr 2008 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: (more) New Airports

Post by richk67 »

Nice. If you need help getting these NewGRF'd let me know. I have 2.5 realworldairports ready to roll (OK, Munich still needs work.) So Rome and Marseille would make nice additions.

You may want to try running your airport_movement.h etc through my FSMconverter. You will need to ensure that the structures for your airports are placed ok into the relevant files. Then compile FSMconverter, and run it. It should spit out out.txt, which is 80%+ formatted correctly for the newGRF spec. (It really only misses the Release Blocks - which of course isnt in the original code.)

The code is done in VS2005, but should compile with cygwin et al. Dont know what support files you may need though.
Attachments
FSMconverter.zip
converter from code format into newgrf format
(135.58 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

thank you, I'll look at it asap :D

planned next is Roissy CdG 8)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I would also take a further look at your Rome variant - it doesnt match the actual airport very well - Rome has just 3 runways, and no buildings north/northeast of the central cross runway. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 9&t=h&z=14

Your Marseille is very good though.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
sfjp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sfjp »

how do you make stuff ?
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

richk67 wrote:I would also take a further look at your Rome variant - it doesnt match the actual airport very well - Rome has just 3 runways, and no buildings north/northeast of the central cross runway. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 9&t=h&z=14

Your Marseille is very good though.
Yes, you're right about the building for Rome airports. :oops:

I should rewrite the heli part so it use the taxiway below the cross runway. Then north tiles should be farm, could it be done with actual code or newGRF port ? (edit : oops, I forgot that you can make holes with your code - will be fine then)

It does have 4 runways, but the 4 is a backup of the eastern one, also used as taxi. What I should rewrite is the landing code so the prefered order will be east runway then west then backup.

Or do you think I should remove completly the fourth runway ?
Last edited by Gedemon on 24 Mar 2008 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

When I create a new airport - this is the sequence:

1. Design the layout of the airport on squared paper.
2. Starting at the hangar, and then terminals, number all of the tiles.
3. Have a think about what movement blocks you need - a block can have more than 1 tile in it.
4. For each tile, write down what movements you want an aircraft to be allowed to do at that tile, and what blocks it needs to reserve to do it.
5. Code it up, including working out what graphics are needed.

For a small airport, its fairly easy. However, larger airports are a LOT of hard work. My Munich has 85 positions currently, and it isnt yet finished.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Gedemon wrote:I should rewrite the heli part so it use the taxiway below the cross runway. Then north tiles should be farm, could it be done with actual code or newGRF port ? (edit : oops, I forgot that you can make holes with your code - will be fine then)
NewGRF is the better way as the airport code will be replaced by NewGRF_ports relatively shortly. Also, NewGRF_ports allows asymmetrical airports, so that area can actually be a gap.
It does have 4 runways, but the 4 is a backup of the eastern one, also used as taxi. What I should rewrite is the landing code so the prefered order will be east runway then west then backup. Or do you think I should remove completely the fourth runway ?
It doesnt look to me as though that runway gains you much, and a 3 runway in an H shape will be better, IMO.
Firework Photography
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

sfjp wrote:how do you make stuff ?
if interested, here are the 1-4 phases in excel format for Rome airport...

... that will be reworked to a more realist shape :mrgreen:
Attachments
Rome LIRF.rar
Rome airport design phases
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Shadowclaimer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowclaimer »

You should try your hand at Indianapolis International Airport =p

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/indian ... ddress.jpg

3 Runways, really nice staging area =p just a suggestion.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Indianapo ... a=N&tab=il
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

First post : patch updated to r12722, no other changes (yet) :O

Shadowclaimer wrote:You should try your hand at Indianapolis International Airport =p

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/indian ... ddress.jpg

3 Runways, really nice staging area =p just a suggestion.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Indianapo ... a=N&tab=il
well, updated Rome layout will be 3 runways, almost like this one.

and before doing something more or less similar, I'll finish CdG, and then I may have a look to Dubai project, but I'll need more blocks for this one : Dubai World Central Airport
NLmichiej
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NLmichiej »

Rome Fiumicino (for the b00ns also known as Rome Leonardo da Vinci) looks pretty well, looking away from the fact you turned the runways around. Marseille is nice too, but the field is a bit longer irl. Balance between Rome and Marseille isn't perfect :P Sorry for being so cheecky, but I study Aviation :tongue:

I'd like to see Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in TT once, lol. That's like... Impossible to make :lol:
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

NLmichiej wrote:I'd like to see Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in TT once, lol. That's like... Impossible to make :lol:
;) Yeah, impossible... :roll:
Attachments
A layout I created a while back. Not coded at all into NewGRF_ports format.
A layout I created a while back. Not coded at all into NewGRF_ports format.
schiphol3.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
Firework Photography
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

héhé, looks great :mrgreen:

must be a nightmare to code ;)

NLmichiej wrote:Rome Fiumicino (for the b00ns also known as Rome Leonardo da Vinci) looks pretty well, looking away from the fact you turned the runways around. Marseille is nice too, but the field is a bit longer irl. Balance between Rome and Marseille isn't perfect :P Sorry for being so cheecky, but I study Aviation :tongue:
Rome should be rotated 90° left, is that what you mean ? if so, that's already in the "todo" list. :]

About Marseille do you think that I should add one (or more ?) tile to the main runway ?

and thanks for the feedback, that's welcome.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Gedemon wrote:héhé, looks great :mrgreen:

must be a nightmare to code ;)
Yeah, not even started the state machine for that monster - Im not entirely happy with the layout. Its not got enough taxiing space to make for smooth operations.
Rome should be rotated 90° left, is that what you mean ? if so, that's already in the "todo" list. :]
If you design this for NewGRF_ports, all rotation of the FSM is handled already. All you have to "rotate" is your selection of sprites for the graphics layout. :)
Firework Photography
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

I got this silly idea about Schiphol, and I thought I'd show it to tou ;)
Attachments
I told you it was silly!
I told you it was silly!
Clipboard01.png (267.78 KiB) Viewed 10434 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That's not too silly at all. In reality, there's a highway right in that location (with a tunnel though).
NLmichiej
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NLmichiej »

richk67 wrote: ;) Yeah, impossible... :roll:
Lol, looks good. The hangars (irl) are placed on the (south-)east side of the airport though. But it looks nice anyway :lol:
Gedemon wrote: Rome should be rotated 90° left, is that what you mean ? if so, that's already in the "todo" list. :]

About Marseille do you think that I should add one (or more ?) tile to the main runway ?

and thanks for the feedback, that's welcome.
Exactly what I mean :)

Guess 1 would be enough, you could possibly place an extra gate there too then...
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Mchl wrote:I got this silly idea about Schiphol, and I thought I'd show it to tou ;)
Yup. Using the Irregular Airports patch (included in NewGRF_ports), I was able to place the motorway there - but as stated in a tunnel. Irregular Airports places no restrictions on the non-airport tiles, so you can work around existing infrastructure if you want. As long as the actual airport tiles go onto a clear tile, it copes fine.
Firework Photography
Roest
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Roest »

How about something like this. Sorry i didn't find a larger pic. Leipzig airport has runways on both sides of the highway and planes use a bridge over it.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 10314 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”