2008 American Elections

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Who do you want to see as President of the United States?

Barack Obama (Dem)
77%
John McCain (Rep)
19%
Bob Barr (Libertarian)
3%
Ralph Nader (Independent)
No votes
Cynthia McKinney (Green Party)
No votes

Total votes: 31

Chrill

2008 American Elections

Post by Chrill »

Is there no such topic yet? This can end in two ways, I think. Flaming or death. We'll see if it survives at all, cus I am interested in this election! The poll is simple. Who do you want to win the '08 elections?

I personally vote for Barack Obama, as I believe he has the power to get USA out of it's crisis (Iraq, terror, economy, environment, you name it). He's got what it takes, I believe he is a tougher person than Mrs. Clinton
Last edited by Chrill on 07 Aug 2008 19:28, edited 2 times in total.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2008 American Elections

Post by Griff »

Is America ready for a black president? and then again, is America ready for a female president? if either of them wins its history in the making.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Dave

Post by Dave »

I definitely think the Democrats are coming back to power. So it's a case of either/or; then again - if it is either/or, they're gonna lost a lot of the southern vote (which of course they didn't have anyway).
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Just because I have to choose I choose Mrs. Clinton. She has experience as First Lady and as senator and she can rely on her husband who used to be Mr. President. Obama is very likely to end up as Mr. President in the future but for now he's not experienced enough I think.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Simply because of this I chose Obama.

According to the Dutch "Stemwijzer" - which is a web application that calculates which president's views are in line with yours the most, based on a number of questions you answer - I should have gone with John Edwards. In fact most of the people in the Netherlands got that result.

But he withdrew, so... I'm hoping Clinton or Obama win.
It's not really any of my business since I'm not an American citizen, but unfortunately the average American president/government does make decisions which affect me...
Last edited by GoneWacko on 05 Feb 2008 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Err, Why did I say Hilton instead of Clinton? That WOULD be something... Paris Hilton for president!
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Let the flamewar begin... :lol:

Poll is useless for me. I wouldn't vote for anyone and there is no such option.

I believe Obama will win. A real politician, that can be appealing to the masses. Reminds me of Kennedy. Is he more capable than the others? Time will show. Do I trust him and believe what he promises? Certainly not. He is a politician. :mrgreen:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'd like to see Obama make it, but something attracts me about Hilary.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Confucius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Confucius »

Super Tuesday will be interesting. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing a Republican win, there is somthing that draws me to Obama and as long as it's not Clinton, I'm happy.
Two wrongs not make right, three lefts do.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I don't really care about the American elections although I have a small hope that Mrs. Clinton wins as Mr. Clinton is sailing the ship behind scenes I guess, hopefully we will be up for 8 more years of peace making :).
Dave Worley wrote:I'd like to see Obama make it, but something attracts me about Hilary.
Maybe it's her huge ass ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

As much as i'd vote for Obama i'm going to leave mine blank for the time being. It quite nice sitting on the fence sometimes. The reason however, is that i just can't seem to trust any politicians.
Last known as: Weirdy
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

my candidate (John Edwards) dropped out, as for the rest, it doesn't matter which you vote for they are all corporatists so it will be more of the same with only lip-service paid to social reform.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Funny to see a first black man take seat in the Whitehouse or the first woman.

I voted for Mrs. Clinton, but I don't care that much. Obama gets my vote aswell. :)

In related matter: I just don't know why politics is about popularity. It ofcourse has a logical ring to it, but think about it: I rather choose someone that understands the problems of the country/world then some figurehead of a popularity contest.
This is not directed at the current US elections but to all kinds of governments in the world. :?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Super Tuesday today. At first, polls have shown people will vote for Mrs. Clinton, but her advantage against Obama has shrunk all the time, and in a report from today, Obama seems to have the upper hand in the most populous state, California (some 440 delegates). Winning there provide Obama with a huge advantage against Mrs. Clinton
My Scenarios:
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Observation - Since 1989 the USA has had a president from one of two families, a Clinton or a Bush. And now one of the leading canditates for this election is again from one of those families.
For a country of 300million people it does make you wonder how good their democratic process is when they have such a limited pool of candidates.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Griff wrote:Is America ready for a black president? and then again, is America ready for a female president? if either of them wins its history in the making.
I heard a comment, the other day that said that Hilary Clinton should be the Democrat leader because he feels that America isnt ready for a Black President yet. The same person also went on to say tat he reckoned that if Obama were to be president then he would probably be assassinated. Worrying but I can't help feeling it is true.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher, I think all presidents must always fear assassination. George W Bush is supposed to be the most hated president ever, yet he's doing just fine, is he not?
My Scenarios:
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

The difference is, the southerners mostly seem to not hate bush the way they would a 'colored' president.

Frankly, I'm voting republican, after seeing Hillary break down into tears because she wasn't winning some votes in New Hampshire, I think it was (Somewhere around there), that's all we need, is for her to go into PMS mode when the USA gets attacked and, literally, LITERALLY, cry tob the UN!

Then again, if in PMS mode, she might just bomb the crap out of any country that so much as says a word against the USA! :P
Without Trains America Stops

doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Dave Worley wrote:I'd like to see Obama make it, but something attracts me about Hilary.
Yep. I'd prefer Obama, but I think Hillary has better chances to win against a republican candidate.
Most African Americans vote for the Democrats anyway, and I don't think he can attract as many undecided voters as Mrs. Clinton. Additionally, Clinton has the aura of a states(wo)man. I think she can adress foreign affairs much better - people may remember Bill Clinton's negotiations with Arafat for example. But maybe Americans are not interested in foreign affairs and want better education, healthcare etc. As another pro-Hillary argument, she may attract wifes of Republican voters. There might be lots of families, that traditionally voted for republicans, but women in such families start to break out of these traditions, if a woman is a candidate.

I don't think, that the skin colour or the sex (or lack thereof) of a president should be an argument. But the most important thing is to stop the republic idiocracy, and if one candidate has better chances to do that, he or she should be the candidate.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Moriarty wrote:Observation - Since 1989 the USA has had a president from one of two families, a Clinton or a Bush. And now one of the leading canditates for this election is again from one of those families.
For a country of 300million people it does make you wonder how good their democratic process is when they have such a limited pool of candidates.
It can be even worse:
Our prime Minister is Constantinos Karamanlis
and opposition leader is George Papandreou.

Exactly the same names approx. 50 years ago: 8o
Constantinos Karamanlis uncle of the first, George Papandreou grandfather of the latter.

Of course their political carrier is started much earlier:
Caramanlis was elected Member of Parliament for the first time in the Greek 1936.
Papandreou became Governor of Lesbos after the Balkan War of 1912. He became PM several times.
So we have 2 families monopolizing the political scene for almost a century! 8o

But in Greece people hate monarchy and kicked of the king.

Isn't it ridiculous?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

How the **** could Hillary Clinton end up on top at Super Tuesday!? Yes, her win was too small to call her the winner of the Democratics, but still... Barack Obama is the one, he sure is. VOTE OBAMA YOU.. YOU.. AMERICANS

Okay, that'll do. Hillary Clinton can't run that country, she does not have the attitude. Crying twice in the same run for president??

"President Clinton! Russia has declared war upon Israel"
"Oh god no..." *sob sob*
Putin: "Oh s***, I'm sorry, Hillary. We'll just retreat. Sorry for making you cry..."
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”