OpenTTD 0.6.0-beta1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Re: OpenTTD 0.6.0-beta1

Post by ostlandr »

Let me comment here that the Beta of 0.6.0 (or even a nightly build) is far superior in quality to the release version of Windows Vista.
Eighteen days from 0.5.3 rc1 to rc2 to fix the bridge crash? It took months for Microsoft to even admit that the "reliability and compatibility issues" with Vista (which must have shown up in the alpha and beta versions during testing) even existed, and longer to release useful updates/hotfixes.

If I were Emperor of North America, and I rounded up the best coders and CG artists, placed their loved ones in "protective custody" and ordered them to build the ulitmate version of OTTD, I seriously doubt the results would be as good as what we get for free from all the hardworking devs and artists on this forum. Thanks yet again to all of you!

I have been working on the GRF tutorials, and trying to re-learn enough programming to deal with the code. It may take a year, or ten- but I will get my early American GRF built. Downloaded some steam whistle sounds for it today, and the vehicle tables are in progress.
Is the 1920 date hard-coded into TTDPatch/OTTD, or can I go back to 1880 or so? I suppose I could just add 100 years to the ages and have the game run from 1820 to 1950. That's gonna require mods to the town buildings, and. . . :roll:
Who is John Galt?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

ostlandr wrote:Let me comment here that the Beta of 0.6.0 (or even a nightly build) is far superior in quality to the release version of Windows Vista.
Does the phrase "to damn with faint praise" mean anything to you?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Nemesis
Director
Director

Post by Nemesis »

ostlandr wrote: It took months for Microsoft to even admit that the "reliability and compatibility issues" with Vista (which must have shown up in the alpha and beta versions during testing) even existed, and longer to release useful updates/hotfixes.
The compatibility issues from vista are not the problem of Microsoft, but of the other Hardware/software suppliers.

But back on topic,

I'm looking forward to use version 0.60 OpenTTD. I don't use any newgrf settings, just the originals graphics, but some functions as bridges over diagional railroad are welcome.
Gods don't make mistakes.
Though, sometimes i think it will be nice to be able to carry a tune
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

OpenTTD 0.6.0-beta2 has been released: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35254

Return to “General OpenTTD”