Problems with TTDpatch nightlies crashing? Please Read!

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Problems with TTDpatch nightlies crashing? Please Read!

Post by Lakie »

Hello,

After reading through a high number of bug reports of which many people cannot reproduce them or it just crash in plain odd places, I've decided to write a very quite check.

If you are using a nightly, the chances are you've come across a crash or two, and had to delete TTDLOADW.ovl before, and when this does not work you post here.
Could you also (if using the nightly) check the value of the "forcerebuildovl" switch, it is notable that when that switch is off, that new strange crashes appear when changing TTDpatch version from the one which made the ovl.

If you are suffering frequent and strange crashes please try turning on forcerebuildovl, it may just fix the crash you get.
(I know technically you shouldn't need it on, but for TTDpatch to work for me I've always needed it on since about 2.5 alpha 22...)

Oh and other Developers please feel free to question this.

[Edit] Oddly enough when I started needing it turned on, was when I started compiling my on versions of TTDpatch so I wonder if it has anything to do with the lack of version data in the nightlies?

Thankyou for reading and hope that it helps,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Problems with TTDpatch crashing using the nightlies?

Post by DaleStan »

Lakie wrote:[Edit] Oddly enough when I started needing it turned on, was when I started compiling my on versions of TTDpatch so I wonder if it has anything to do with the lack of version data in the nightlies?
Interesting thought. That would agree with the impression I got, which is that changes in the procs/ directory generally require a rebuilt ovl. Maybe there's some version data (like lengths or counts) floating around where it shouldn't be?

Or maybe this is just a red herring.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I remember Josef making it possible to start the ovl directly (without running ttdpatch[w].exe) but I thought that only happened if you run it with a debug switch?
I'll give it a test when I can find the exes and build up some version data to test the theory.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, you still have to start TTDPatch, it's just that TTDPatch doesn't start the OVL for you. The switch is -!r.

I find it especially useful when debugging, since TTDPatch stays resident, meaning OllyDBG can restart TTD as often as necessary.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Well, even with version data, it still crashes so it something else. :?
Heh, ok, not really used that feature myself.

~ Lakie

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”