[TTDP] DoR's Screenshot thread (rather modest networks).

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

[TTDP] DoR's Screenshot thread (rather modest networks).

Post by Dutchman on Rails »

After admiring many of the screenshots here for a long time, I'd like to try your patience with some of my own screenshots.
These will take the usual form of following a game for a while, making shots along the way.

Perhaps a small introduction is in order. I like to play my games with lots of challenges. High costs, lots of terrain obstacles, few resources. That makes this thread one in the category of some of my idols here, relatively small, scenic routes. In fact I set the difficulty often so high that the 1920's are skipped as far as screenshots are concerned, as there are only a few bus services providing some startup income.

With that being said, I hope you enjoy the shots that I will post in here, and if you have any comments whatsoever, please feel free to tell me about them.
Last edited by Dutchman on Rails on 22 Jul 2007 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: DoR's Screenshot thread (rather modest networks).

Post by Ben_K »

Well... Id like to see a picture of the 20's! ;) Lets see a quaint little picture of a small bus on a nice country route! Maybe crossing a lovely brick bridge in a scenic valley? :D

(Also, a picture of a bus will keep Jasper happy for another day :roll: )
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Ben_K wrote:Well... Id like to see a picture of the 20's! ;) Lets see a quaint little picture of a small bus on a nice country route! Maybe crossing a lovely brick bridge in a scenic valley? :D

(Also, a picture of a bus will keep Jasper happy for another day :roll: )
A bus on a highway would probably kill him with excitement
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

The Wertfurter Kreisbahn, a very modest beginning.

Well, Ben, Griff, as much as I'd like to oblige, the buses are citybuses. Place two bus stations well apart, and have a few buses run between them. After a while, this becomes more of the same.

For some reason, the famous PB_Build grf makes the costs of plain roads rocket up, but in my games it has no effect on plain rails (it does on altering the terrain, building bridges and tunnels, and thus all the supporting features). That makes rail lines between towns the preferred choice over road, even to very small hamlets.

Kind Regards, DoR
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

As a first post of screenshots, I'd like to introduce the recently started Wertfurter Kreisbahn to you. It uses the Wertfurter Kreis scenario I posted on page 64 of the scenario's thread.

The beginnings are rather modest, with just four citybus services in the largest towns, the other hamlets are simply too small to set up such a service. From 1927, the town of Niederkassel am See (not shown here) was linked to nearby Mariasee by boat.

The company had to wait until 1931 before the first rail service could be opened between the towns of Wertfurt and St. Johann. At that stage, the more effective routes were simply too expensive to build, so a less ideal, but cheaper route had to be chosen.
Attachments
The train enters Wertfurt station to open the line. The station is a temporary one, in the future it will be turned 90 degrees.
The train enters Wertfurt station to open the line. The station is a temporary one, in the future it will be turned 90 degrees.
Wertfurt Station.png (98.08 KiB) Viewed 8700 times
The first train entering St. Johann station on it's opening run. There was very little room to build the station, and even then Wertfurter Kreisbahn was fortunate that the town undertook to remove a rockface that was in the way, so that the company didn't have to spend more on doing that themselves.
The first train entering St. Johann station on it's opening run. There was very little room to build the station, and even then Wertfurter Kreisbahn was fortunate that the town undertook to remove a rockface that was in the way, so that the company didn't have to spend more on doing that themselves.
St. Johann Station.png (103.56 KiB) Viewed 8708 times
Line Overview.png
An overview of the line. Next to the refinery, the train has to negotiate a steep slope. It's far from ideal, but all of the better routes would have been at least fl. 200.000,- more expensive.
(876.03 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Branching off to Friedrichswald.

Hello,

Three years have passed since the opening of the Wertfurt, St. Johann line. Apart from gathering money to start new projects, Wertfurter Kreisbahn had to lengthen the trainset to provide enough capacity.

This upgrade proved sufficient for Wertfurt, but not for St. Johann, though it was only slightly short. After some meetings to discuss the situation, company management decided on a new branch line to Friedrichswald in the north. Because higher ground, a large lake and an estuary were blocking the direct path, the engineering department decided on a detour to the west, crossing the river Wert northeast of Wertfurt and then following it's left bank all the way to Friedrichswald. To avoid trains having to cross for now, Wertfurt was to be bypassed by this line, and the junction layed as close to St. Johann station as possible.
Attachments
The new junction near St. Johann. The original train now serves the branch line to Friedrichswald. On the main line to Wertfurt, a new trainset is running, that also got the extra coaches.
The new junction near St. Johann. The original train now serves the branch line to Friedrichswald. On the main line to Wertfurt, a new trainset is running, that also got the extra coaches.
St. Johann junction.png (106.09 KiB) Viewed 8501 times
Just a scenery picture of the branch line where it turns east towards Friedrichswald.
Just a scenery picture of the branch line where it turns east towards Friedrichswald.
Friedrichswald Branch.png (88.42 KiB) Viewed 8501 times
Finally, Friedrichswald station. For reasons of economy, the ridge on which the station rests was not lowered, but the station built where it is instead.
Finally, Friedrichswald station. For reasons of economy, the ridge on which the station rests was not lowered, but the station built where it is instead.
Friedrichswald Station.png (87.95 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

A tale of a spitzkehre.

Hello,

Trying your patience a little further.

After the branch line to Friedrichswald has stabilised the passenger traffic in St. Johann, Wertfurter Kreisbahn is looking for new services to open. The best choice seems to be the coal mine near Kaisershaven and the power station near Niederkassel am See, both having opened in the 1920's.

As a preliminary, the line to Friedrichswald is extended to Kaisershaven. In order to avoid the next high ground and estuary, another wide detour to the west is made. For Friedrichshaven, the chosen solution is what in Germany is known as a spitzkehre. This setup, occasionally seen on this forum before by other players, is where a station is technically an end station, but in the train schedule functions as a through station, the train enters the station, then departs for the next one on the same side.
Attachments
Basically the same shot as in the post before, showing the business end of the spitzkehre in action.
Basically the same shot as in the post before, showing the business end of the spitzkehre in action.
Friedrichswald junction.png (305.16 KiB) Viewed 8409 times
While the station's location is convenient for passengers, company management is worried that it will come back and bite them one day.
While the station's location is convenient for passengers, company management is worried that it will come back and bite them one day.
Kaisershaven station.png (239.13 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
An overview may be in order. The red line is the original Wertfurt-St. Johann line, the dark blue one the line to Friedrichswald and Kaisershaven. In the bottom-left corner, Niederkassel am See can be seen.
An overview may be in order. The red line is the original Wertfurt-St. Johann line, the dark blue one the line to Friedrichswald and Kaisershaven. In the bottom-left corner, Niederkassel am See can be seen.
Overview 1936.png (21.99 KiB) Viewed 8372 times
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Connecting train and boat.

Hello,

After some months to recover breath (and finances), it's time to work on the new Niederkassel-Kaisershaven line. Fortunately, as can be seen in the shot above, a narrow pass exists in the mountain range, just wide enough for the most part to let the single-track line pass through.

Work is started on the passengers line first, to keep the places happy. Back in the 1920's (not shown at the time), a boat service was set up across the Mariasee from the town named after the lake to Niederkassel. The opening of the new rail line means this service is now joined to the network as well. For those passengers as patient as the viewers of this thread, it is possible to travel from Mariasee to Wertfurt, changing at Niederkassel, Kaisershaven and St. Johann, and with some serious detours, but it is possible.
Attachments
The usual shot of the junction, also showing the coal mine.
The usual shot of the junction, also showing the coal mine.
Kaisershaven junction.png (72.9 KiB) Viewed 8360 times
The most difficult part of the line to negotiate was where the river toward Kaisershaven had to be crossed, followed by some higher ground. The train has to do some climbing here.
The most difficult part of the line to negotiate was where the river toward Kaisershaven had to be crossed, followed by some higher ground. The train has to do some climbing here.
Kaisershaven-Niederkassel Branch.png (102.56 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
Barely visible through the trees, the Niederkassel station allows for a train-ship transfer.
Barely visible through the trees, the Niederkassel station allows for a train-ship transfer.
Niederkassel station.png (398.3 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Climbing the mountains.

Hello,

And the last ones for today...

While the plans of company management were to provide a coal service next, these have to be postponed. Again, in St. Johann, passengers are grumbling that they are not provided enough service.

The only solution seems to be a line to Schwanstein, to the south of the city, but engineers warn that this will be the most difficult undertaking so far. Schwanstein, a town with some fame as a ski resort, towers hundreds of meters above St. Johann, and in the latter town, there's simply no room to join the mainline station. The engineers' solutions speak for themselves in the shots.
Attachments
In St. Johann, the only solution the engineers could come up with was to build the new platform at right-angles to the original one. This allowed them to build the line into the valley to the east, and then use St. Johannsberg to their advantage to negotiate the mountains...
In St. Johann, the only solution the engineers could come up with was to build the new platform at right-angles to the original one. This allowed them to build the line into the valley to the east, and then use St. Johannsberg to their advantage to negotiate the mountains...
St. Johann extension.png (319.86 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
The highest point in the line.
The highest point in the line.
Schwanstein branch.png (109.86 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
Schwanstein itself is somewhat lower than the plateau around it, so the train had to come down a bit againto make it into the station.
Schwanstein itself is somewhat lower than the plateau around it, so the train had to come down a bit againto make it into the station.
Schwanstein station.png (105 KiB) Viewed 8294 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [TTDP] DoR's Screenshot thread (rather modest networks).

Post by Ben_K »

Great shots! :)
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Hello,

First of all, thanks Ben (taking a bow). Just the encouragement to make a few more.

Managing the Wertfurter Kreisbahn is never without challenges. Even before the situation at St. Johann has been fully resolved, the passengers from Wertfurt start demanding more service.

This time the managers come up with a relatively grand, three-staged scheme to improve the services in the entire region.

1) The St. Johann-Wertfurt rail line is to be completely relayed, eliminating all the slopes.

2) Wertfurt is to become a through station, with the line from Friedrichswald moved to Wertfurt.

3) The service to Friedrichswald and Kaisershaven is to be split into two seperate services, both of which call in Wertfurt and terminate in St. Johann.

The stages are completed in 1940, 41 and 42, respectively. While working on the lines, the station buildings at Wertfurt and St. Johann are replaced to accomodate the larger numbers of passengers.
Attachments
The new line can only pass St. Johann in a tight ring around the city center to stay level. Since the line to Friedrichswald, still visible in the north, has been ripped up and replaced by a passing track.
The new line can only pass St. Johann in a tight ring around the city center to stay level. Since the line to Friedrichswald, still visible in the north, has been ripped up and replaced by a passing track.
St. Johann ring.png (319.37 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
The new bridge across the river Wert. Below, the old closed line is still visible, though the engineers since removed it. Here too, since a passing track has been built on both ends of the bridge.
The new bridge across the river Wert. Below, the old closed line is still visible, though the engineers since removed it. Here too, since a passing track has been built on both ends of the bridge.
Wertfurt high bridge.png (329.71 KiB) Viewed 8163 times
The new Wertfurt station, as will be noticed when comparing to the very first screenshot at right-angles to the original one. Gleis (platform) 3 is reserved for the St. Johann-Wertfurt service, which, due to the larger size of these two towns, is still in operation. The service to Kaisershaven is just arriving at gleis 2.
The new Wertfurt station, as will be noticed when comparing to the very first screenshot at right-angles to the original one. Gleis (platform) 3 is reserved for the St. Johann-Wertfurt service, which, due to the larger size of these two towns, is still in operation. The service to Kaisershaven is just arriving at gleis 2.
Werfurt station extension.png (346.74 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

Can you tell me where you got those depot graphics from?
calix177
Engineer
Engineer

Post by calix177 »

Love these shots. :)

For such difficult terrain and small network you make it look easy! :D
the dark is RYsiN
"The best thing since the proverbial bread with numerous vertical incisions."
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Hello,

Well Calix, I have to confess that I do sometimes backtrack using the saved games when I don't like the result.

Also, this scenario has a break in it for the players, in the form of the towns of St. Johann and Wertfurt. They're large enough for a profitable passenger run, and close enough for a reasonably cheap line to be built.

As for the rest, it takes a lot of surveying the land. Mountain landscapes look pretty gruesome, but on a closer look, there are often features that provide some help to build the necessary roads and rails. In TTD, I've found so far that this is no different, though there are some areas in remote corners of this map that with the available resources right now are still impossible to build lines to.

Anyway, back to the story.

With the latest project now having solved the capacity problems at Wertfurt, there's finally time to start the coal service that was planned years earlier. The line between Kaisershaven and Niederkassel is upgraded to provide extra capacity for the coal trains, and stations are being built.

Despite the now low capacity of the mine, two BR85's are purchased. This because of some steep slopes, and also because it is hoped that the capacity will increase as the mine is being serviced.
Attachments
The new station at the coal mine with the second train steaming in. The two trains have enough capacity to make a round trip while the other one is loading, saving room with regards to the line, and keeping the station ratings at peak levels.
The new station at the coal mine with the second train steaming in. The two trains have enough capacity to make a round trip while the other one is loading, saving room with regards to the line, and keeping the station ratings at peak levels.
Kaisershaven coal mine.png (256.89 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
The most scenic part of the line revisited. There was just enough room to build a passing track, but eliminating the steep slope would have been just too expensive even at this stage. Fortunately the powerful BR85's have no trouble climbing the pass.
The most scenic part of the line revisited. There was just enough room to build a passing track, but eliminating the steep slope would have been just too expensive even at this stage. Fortunately the powerful BR85's have no trouble climbing the pass.
Kaisershaven-Niederkassel revisited.png (336.44 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
The new coal siding in Niederkassel runs straight through the town, to the dismay of some of the inhabitants. The ridge on the eastern side was just too helpful to miss out on though, only two terrain modifications had to be made and one building demolished.
The new coal siding in Niederkassel runs straight through the town, to the dismay of some of the inhabitants. The ridge on the eastern side was just too helpful to miss out on though, only two terrain modifications had to be made and one building demolished.
Niederkassel power station.png (322.43 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

While the coal service is developed, there are some hints of disgruntled passengers at St. Johann. It's difficult to provide more service right there. Ater some consideration, the company management decides that it's best to extend the St. Johann-Schwanstein line to Drei Annenberg (named in devout catholic fashion after the three St. Anna's, because the mountain rising up behind the village has three peaks). This way it would be possible, if necessary, to provide some passing tracks and add another train there.

The landscape isn't too easy in this region, some steep slopes, landfills, and a high bridge were needed before the line could be opened in 1944. Also, Schwanstein station had to be refurbished to be able to function as a through station.
Attachments
The refurbishment of Schwanstein, with the new line to Drei Annenberg moving to the south. These rural areas aran't the big milk cows of Wertfurter Kreisbahn, but they do make for scenic rail lines.
The refurbishment of Schwanstein, with the new line to Drei Annenberg moving to the south. These rural areas aran't the big milk cows of Wertfurter Kreisbahn, but they do make for scenic rail lines.
Schwanstein refurbishment.png (335.66 KiB) Viewed 7886 times
To reach Drei Annenberg, the line had to cross the longest and highest bridge built so far.
To reach Drei Annenberg, the line had to cross the longest and highest bridge built so far.
Drei Annenberg station and bridge.png (329.5 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Another map may clarify things. The red line is the St. Johann-Wertfurt-Kaisershaven/Friedrichswald line, with most of the services. The blue line is the St. Johann-Drei Annenberg line. The purple line is the Kaisershaven-Niederkassel line, and the black line is the coal service, largely along the same line.
Another map may clarify things. The red line is the St. Johann-Wertfurt-Kaisershaven/Friedrichswald line, with most of the services. The blue line is the St. Johann-Drei Annenberg line. The purple line is the Kaisershaven-Niederkassel line, and the black line is the coal service, largely along the same line.
Map 1944.png (56.24 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

Snorbuckle wrote:Can you tell me where you got those depot graphics from?
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pug »

The depot is just the normal depot from TTD
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

It's a wider version that occupies the entire tile
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

I have to admit, these are some of the nicest screens i've seen in a long time. Nearly all of the screens are scenic, and seem to be 'cut' into a beautiful valley. The bridges over the rivers a lovely, and the little towns with the single lines passing through or into are wonderful.

Keep this up and post more screens, i'm really enjoying them.

Marshy
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Hello,

Snorbuckle, I sent you a PM on the location of the depots, didn't it arrive?

Now that I'm talking about it here anyway, might as well give the directions here. It's in the Transport Tycoon Deluxe section of these forums, in the thread: "Looking for GRF's? Ask here" on the first page. Filename is bigdepots.grf.

The idea for which they were there was to put several of them behind each other to create depots that can house the trains, but then I read about a limit to the depots.

Marshy, the scenario and the high costs combine to give the effects. Creating such a scenario is actually quite easy if you have a day, starting from a random TTD landscape. Anyway, as the game progresses and traffic and profits increase, there will be a gradual increase in higher-capacity lines, hopefully not less interesting. Though half the map is as yet undeveloped, so there will be some more small branch lines where trains struggle to climb mountains and gain profit (and where the 'schienenbus' will have it's work cut out for it).

Anyway, back to the screenshots.

After the opening of the Schwanstein-Drei Annenberg line, little happens for a few years. In St. Johann, Wertfurter Kreisbahn helps out the town's plans for urban renewal of their southeastern area by demolishing several houses and roads. It is hoped that in return the town will provide more flat land. While this works, needless to say when the inhabitants complain, the mayor denies any knowledge, and the Wertfurter Kreisbahn takes a big popularity hit.

Apart from that, only minor improvements (costly enough) are made:

- The Wert talbrücke (valley bridge) is replaced by one allowing for higher speeds.
- A mail service between St. Johann, Wertfurt and Kaisershaven is opened, relieving capacity problems for mail in Wertfurt. This calls for some minor improvements in and around Kaisershaven.
- Boat services are opened between Mariasee and Königsmünster, and between Niederkassel and Innshaven.They barely make a profit, but should help for future growth.

It isn't until 1948 that the next major service is opened, and the trigger is Niederkassel am See, where more and more mail is waiting. Diverting the St. Johann-Kaisershaven service to Niederkassel, and turning it into a standard service seems like a good idea. It only takes a small, but expensive connecting line. While at it, the existing Kaisershaven-Friedrichswald jcn and Niederkassel-Kaisershaven lines get some minor upgrades too (where not too expensive).
Attachments
The new junction, north of the existing one. A long passing track has been built to allow for less delays on the single-track sections that still exist.
The new junction, north of the existing one. A long passing track has been built to allow for less delays on the single-track sections that still exist.
Friedrichshaven nord junction.png (342.02 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
Getting back to the pass for the third time, this one shows where the new line joins the existing one. I didn't notice the pop-up until after the screenshot was already made.
Getting back to the pass for the third time, this one shows where the new line joins the existing one. I didn't notice the pop-up until after the screenshot was already made.
Niederkassel ost junction.png (320.41 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
Niederkassel station received it's second platform, and a passing track on the approaches. It should keep the trains off the main line for as long as possible.
Niederkassel station received it's second platform, and a passing track on the approaches. It should keep the trains off the main line for as long as possible.
Niederkassel station expansion.png (335.26 KiB) Viewed 7728 times

Return to “Screenshots”