Live Update for OTTD? And more...

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Live Update for OTTD? And more...

Post by DaleStan »

Desolator wrote:Anyway, OpenTTD Updater 0.2 is here. This will get the current revision number from the changes.log file. It's 1.73 MB now, so you save 20 KB of downloading :lol:
Unless your SFX module is a lot larger than I think it is, you can get that down to around 1.3 MB if you upx autorun.exe first.
You can probably pull similar savings on 0.3, but I'm not as sure about that. Depends on how competent the compression is there.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

DaleStan: The installer uses LZMA, too, so it will save one or two KB.

Anyway, version 0.4 is out, thanks to Rippsy, all the bugs have been hopefully fixed. Just install this on your OpenTTD folder (or anywhere you want, doesn't really matter) and it'll detect it.

Note: If you install OpenTTD Updater in your OpenTTD folder (eg, you have openttd.exe there), the "Browse" button will be disabled, so don't be surprised.

Setup (forget what I said earlier):
http://playmenow.org/OpenTTD%20Updater/ ... 0Setup.exe

Patch from 0.3:
http://playmenow.org/OpenTTD%20Updater/ ... 0Patch.exe

EDIT: I forgot, I added a debug window in order to help me find bugs, so don't scream ;) If you get an error (a pop-up with something like "Line 7 - Argument #1 must be type of string"), copy all the text from that window or make a screenshot with the window visible and post it here.

EDIT2: Version 0.5 is out. Thanks to Rippsy, now you can run OpenTTD Updater with the following command-line arguments, perfect for server managing:

-s = Update silently (minimizes to system tray and updates directly, no error messages, cancels if OpenTTD is open)
-r = Run OpenTTD after update without asking

Eg: C:\Games\OpenTTD\OpenTTD Updater -s -r (does a silent update and runs OpenTTD when finished)

Setup (0.5):
http://playmenow.org/OpenTTD%20Updater/ ... 0Setup.exe

Patch (0.4 --> 0.5):
http://playmenow.org/OpenTTD%20Updater/ ... 0Patch.exe
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Desolator wrote:To orudge: Any chance you could add .exe to the uploadable extensions list? Somehow I can't upload any .exe files.
This has been discussed in the past and generally the consensus has been to not allow .exe uploads. Rename your exe to something else, or enclose it in an uncompressed zip or something if need be. It's a bit of a pain, but it's not too much hassle.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

orudge wrote:
Desolator wrote:To orudge: Any chance you could add .exe to the uploadable extensions list? Somehow I can't upload any .exe files.
This has been discussed in the past and generally the consensus has been to not allow .exe uploads. Rename your exe to something else, or enclose it in an uncompressed zip or something if need be. It's a bit of a pain, but it's not too much hassle.
The setup can be zipped, but the path (by Visual Patch Express) is generated as a SFX archive, thus I can't archive it again. Any idea what archiver to use that doesn't give a dollar?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Any competent archiver. You may have to play a few games (WinRAR, for example, doesn't like re-compressing RARs), but it's quite possible.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
patter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by patter »

and now I'm tempted to make one for us linux folks ... should only be a few lines in perl
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

cd ./openttd
svn up
./configure && make
./openttd/bin/openttd

:P That's not hard.
leno4
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leno4 »

Zuu wrote:I've coded a small application that basically follows the steps that belugas wrote earlier in this thread.

It depends on Info-Zip exe-file which is included in the zip-file. (as allowed by the Info-Zip license)

Put it in your OpenTTD-directory or tell it where OpenTTD is installed using the browse button.

It should not depend on .NET as far as I am aware.

-- Beta 2 --
* Does include an option to ask before overwriting files when unzipping.
* Shows the output of unzip.exe to allow users confirm overwriting.
* Works with paths that contain spaces.

-- Beta 3 (2007-07-15)--
* Fix: Releases the changes.log files after reading it.
* Feature: Stores the path to OpenTTD in a ini-file: conf.ini located in the same directory as the program. The status of the checkbox (not in the beta1 picture) is also saved in the ini-file.
* Feature: If parameter '/auto' is given, the program will check for updates and if any updates are found it asks for confirmation. And after that it starts OpenTTD. (currently the window is not hidden, but that is on my ToDo-list :) )

-- Beta 4 (2007-08-18) --
* Fixed /auto bug that raised an exception/assertion at startup.
* Old GUI removed.
* New GUI let users configure OpenTTDAutoUpdate and then update OpenTTD.
* Check box to skip configuration dialog at startup.
* Now visually indicate that downloading is in progress, when downloading latest nightly. (useful on slower connections where download takes longer than a second or two)
* Show either progressbar-window or confirmation window when unzipping OpenTTD, not both.

-- Known Glitches --
* Will throw an exception if it can not save the downloaded zip-file to the OpenTTD directory.

Usage
Quick start
* Download zip-file
* Unpack it and place the ziped files directly in your OpenTTD dir. (no subdirectory)
* Make a shortcut on your desktop to OpenTTDAutoUpdate.exe

* Now when you want to play the last nightly use this new shortcut you just created instead of your old shortcut to openttd.exe.

Note: You _can_ put the unziped files anywhere you wish as long as you place all files in the same directory. You will be required to tell where your OpenTTD nightly install is located though.

What is it doing?
1. Display the configuration every startup until you get pissed of and check the lower left check box that disables the configuration window.
2. If there is a nightly available with higher revision number than the one you have installed then it will ask you if you want to upgrade. If you say no or if there is no newer revision available it will keep your existing installation untouched and continue to point 5.
4. Downloads last nightly zip-file and then unpacks it in the configured OpenTTD directory. If "Ask before overwriting" have been checked the unzip program will ask you before it overwrites any existing file.
5. Start OpenTTD.
6. Exit OpenTTDAutoUpdate, just after OpentTTD have started. So it will not waste your memory while you are playing.
Thanks heaps!! I have been updating the nightly's manually but this is much esier, made it boot up automaticly to. Thanks.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”