Patch: Grass growth on unused tracks

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Brianetta wrote:...If this patch went into the trunk, I'd be looking for a grf with rusty rails rather than weeds.
Have you seen my sheets of sprites so far:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=601032#601032
The first stages are mostly rusty with a few extra weeds around. I was standing at my station the other day and noticed that despite it being a busy-ish line, there were loads of weeds. A lot more than I imagined there would be for a line as busy as it is (Billingshurst station, Victoria to Bognor Regis line I think). I took some pics of it. When I get a chance later, I will upload them to show you.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

In my experience, rust is brown/orange. Not grey ;)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Yeah. The stage 1 sprites I have drawn are brown/orange as well as darker grey. Mild rust still show (at a distance) as a darker grey. :)

As mentioned MANY times now... They are just a quick set for Boekabart to use to start the patch. A new GRF can easily be made for them. Also, if Brian was referring to the .exe that Boekabart made, that uses stage 2 only for its dis-used sprite.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

The sprites are excellent. It does remain, however, that plant growth and line use are not directly causally related. Minor growth isn't removed by scheduled trains, but by maintenance crews with weedkiller. It is true that an overgrown line is often indicative of disuse, but that's because it's not worth sending guys to spray weedkiller if there are no trains scheduled. Additionally, the growth would have to be removed prior to sending trains over the line if they stand higher than the track top. I haven't seen a track-mounted lawn mower, but it's something that's so cool it ought to exist!
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Yeah, I know what you mean about the weeds. I was trying to get a simple 1 look representation. I guess each person has their own idea of what they expect to see.
Ive attached the pics I said I would. This is Billingshurst station in West Sussex. Its not *very* busy, but busy enough to surprise me when I saw these weeds! :)
Brianetta wrote:I haven't seen a track-mounted lawn mower, but it's something that's so cool it ought to exist!
Hmmm... Im getting a sprite idea... ;)
Attachments
DSC00435.png
DSC00435.png (829.26 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
DSC00433.JPG
DSC00433.JPG (120.11 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

Brianetta wrote:I haven't seen a track-mounted lawn mower, but it's something that's so cool it ought to exist!
Sounds so cool that I'll have to lay tracks in the garden. Would only be superseded by the airborne lawn mower.
It's dangerous to be born, you will end up dead!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Ben_K wrote:Ive attached the pics I said I would. This is Billingshurst station in West Sussex. Its not *very* busy, but busy enough to surprise me when I saw these weeds! :)
The ECML has more weeds than that!
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Brianetta wrote: I haven't seen a track-mounted lawn mower, but it's something that's so cool it ought to exist!
Here's one
And another
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Ben_K wrote:This is Billingshurst station in West Sussex
YAY my station havent seen that here before
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: Grass growth on unused tracks

Post by SquireJames »

I would really like this in ChrisIn or the like ( I can't add patches to save my life at the moment)

Perhaps for the worst state (i.e total disuse or abandonment) you could have bridges that are crumbling, and possibly even blocked tunnels. (you'd have to use some sort of track refit button, like the one currently used to upgrade from normal to eletricfied or vice versa, to return the tunnel to working order, which costs almost as much as building a new one naturally)
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

I really like this patch as well and had planned to add it to ChrisIN at some point, but I was under the impression it's not yet ready but I'll have a look again I might be not up to date.

Edit: Hmmm I have added this patch to the game and instead of grass growing on the tracks there are routemarkers growing on the tracks haha, that looks funny I can tell ya :P :P . I don't understand why though, I didn't get any warnings when patching and there are also no code conflicts?! Maybe someone has an idea :) I assume the problem is with sprites.h or gfxinit.cpp
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Looking at the code for both routemarkers and oldtracks, they should not conflict, and oldtracks should certainly not point below SPR_FLAGS_BASE. Bit of a mystery that one. Can you post a diff of your combined sprites.h?
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

This is my sprites diff
Attachments
sprites.diff
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
tydev417
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tydev417 »

Here's another example of grass growth on tracks... (New York City Subway - Atlantic Ave Station, Brooklyn)

DeXteRrBDN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeXteRrBDN »

grf file does not show on my in-game's grf list after copying the file into data folder

does it work with last nightlies?
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

You need to download the GRF that is on the first post of this thread (I think).
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

DeXteRrBDN wrote:grf file does not show on my in-game's grf list after copying the file into data folder

does it work with last nightlies?
Have you applied the patch aswell?
DeXteRrBDN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeXteRrBDN »

nope :( sorry then :(

I'll wait for chrisIN update :)
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Why are people always afraid of applying patches?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Because that involves following directions, something that most people seem to be constitutionally incapable of doing.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “OpenTTD Development”