This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 153311

Post by JamieLei »

But onboard they're surprisingly quiet. Same with the 170s - they make a hell of a racket from outside but not inside.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

JamieLei wrote:But onboard they're surprisingly quiet. Same with the 170s - they make a hell of a racket from outside but not inside.
Well they shake my damn office when departing Leeds, that's enough for me!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

yet another video...

Some say It is Michael Schumacher, others say it is a BBC Publicity stunt, All we know is it's 153 311
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

I just checked, we don't have any 153s in Ireland :( so I cannot join in the 153 bashing. Whenever I've been in England I've always been on an EMU and I have always been very impressed by the English transport network compared to Ireland's.

My line in Ireland is serviced by DMUs, apparently by the name of 2600, 2700, 2750, 2800 and 29000 (it's unlikely that all of those service my line but some of them do and they all look very similar).

Anything like that over in the U of K?
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well you do have a couple of single car units of either the 2600/2700/2800 class, I can't remember which now.
Plus the above classes aren't all that dissimilar from 158s but are infact have nothing other than looks in common.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Our 323s do look very similar to some of your Dublin suburban stock :) - not sure if they're the same builder

Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

Which ones do you mean Jamie? I thought you meant the 29000 because they do look similar but then I realized the 323 is EMU while 29000 is DMU.

When it comes to looking cool, our freight locos take the biscuit.
http://www.irishrail.ie/fleet_informati ... otives.asp
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Sorry my bad - they look nothing like them! Well the sideways do a little bit...

OT: The Class 81 Komuter trains back home [Malaysia] also bear striking resemblance to the 323s... (although they're narrow gauge, aircon and have single-leaf doors. The drivers also seem to have a habit of not putting the brake on whilst at the station...)

Image.
Last edited by JamieLei on 24 Jun 2009 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

Well that link I provided was for freight locos, if you follow that link you'll be able to click on links to the "inter-city" and "commuter" sections which would be the trains you're talking about. Sorry for the confusion, I just though those freight trains look cool, especially the 121.

Is the Class 81 electric or diesel?
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

caveatemptor wrote:Which ones do you mean Jamie? I thought you meant the 29000 because they do look similar but then I realized the 323 is EMU while 29000 is DMU.

Aww - I like the IE freight locomotives! I remember travelling all over Ireland when I was 17 behind loco hauled trains. Great days. Sadly you have boring old DMUs now too.
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

Kevo00 wrote:
caveatemptor wrote:Which ones do you mean Jamie? I thought you meant the 29000 because they do look similar but then I realized the 323 is EMU while 29000 is DMU.

Aww - I like the IE freight locomotives! I remember travelling all over Ireland when I was 17 behind loco hauled trains. Great days. Sadly you have boring old DMUs now too.
My thoughts exactly. I was so young when I went on a loco hauled train I can't really remember (I certainly wouldn't have appreciated it at the time), but every now and again I see them in Connolly Station and it makes me smile. Those pea-green DMUs are depressing to look at, and even more depressing to be inside.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

So they've still got loco haulage on the Rosslare line? Or just on the Enterprise trains? The Rosslare line has to be one of the most scenic.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Exactly... we get silly buses like this poxy little smelly thing with the number 153311 on the side.

Gawd i hate it. Why does the southwest get all the rubbish stock?

I'm going to France in a few days. They still have proper loco hauled stock over there. :D
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I realised the other day just how much noisier a DMU can be to sit on than a nice loco-hauled train (well, I had always known they were noisier, but I guess I had more of a "benchmark") - I'd gone down to Edinburgh on an HST with NXEC, lovely jubbly, listening to my iPod. Back up on a ScotRail 170, same volume level as before, and I could barely hear it over the noise of the engine beneath my feet.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Ha! 170s are quiet. I relish the fact that on a 170 I only have to turn the old iPod up a little bit when onboard. On a 150/156 good luck hearing it all!
Melfice
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Melfice »

JamieLei wrote:The drivers also seem to have a habit of not putting the brake on whilst at the station...
Hah, I had that too, yesterday.
In two separate trains, actually.
I think it slowly kept moving backwards all the time it stood at the station on my trip back home. We must've moved at least a good metre over a 5 minute "stop".
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

Swiss trains are notorious for shunting with passengers on board, as i found out...
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

It seems to be the opposite extreme here. As I was going Birmingham to London with London Midland 350s, the Birmingham portion was joined at Northampton by the Crewe portion. They closed and locked all the doors, made an announcement that the train was about to be coupled, and insisted everyone be seated and holding onto something for stability. The trains joined together and the train shuddered a little, but I could barely feel it!

Malaysian commuter trains are so overcrowded its unbelievable - I believe they've just ordered a whole bunch of new EMUs though - but these things take years to be built and delivered :(
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

JamieLei wrote:It seems to be the opposite extreme here. As I was going Birmingham to London with London Midland 350s, the Birmingham portion was joined at Northampton by the Crewe portion. They closed and locked all the doors, made an announcement that the train was about to be coupled, and insisted everyone be seated and holding onto something for stability. The trains joined together and the train shuddered a little, but I could barely feel it!
Sounds like another daft case of 'elf and safety. No such announcement is ever made on the preserved railways where they run locos round all the time!
Malaysian commuter trains are so overcrowded its unbelievable - I believe they've just ordered a whole bunch of new EMUs though - but these things take years to be built and delivered :(
If only real life was like TT or Loco and they could just buy a new train off the shelf and take instant delivery!
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Kevo00 wrote:
JamieLei wrote:
If only real life was like TT or Loco and they could just buy a new train off the shelf and take instant delivery!
Haha. That would be great. Why don't they mass produce trains as they do with planes, cars, trucks. You can pretty much buy planes 'off the shelf' can't you? The small - medium sized airbus' seem to be like Vauxhall cars...

Return to “Off-Topic”