First Group class 222?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Parkey
Director
Director

First Group class 222?

Post by Parkey »

So I was minding my own business waiting for my train at Newark North Gate this evening when a four-carriage class 222 rumbled through on the up-line at a considerable rate of knots. It was in a green livery, but a different green to Midland Mainline and had first group logos on it.

I didn't know first group had 222s. Anybody know anything about this?
Confusious say "Man with one altimeter always know height. Man with two altimeters never certain."
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Ahh, okay, five seconds of web research tells me that Hull trains is 80% owned by First group and some of their trains have the First logo on them.

There I was thinking it might be something exciting...
Confusious say "Man with one altimeter always know height. Man with two altimeters never certain."
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Hull Trains is owned by First, yep... and they are one 222 down at the moment due to it falling off the jacks at Crofton...

Andelibob
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Parkey wrote:Ahh, okay, five seconds of web research tells me that Hull trains is 80% owned by First group and some of their trains have the First logo on them.

There I was thinking it might be something exciting...
Next time I would appreciate it if you just edited your message instead of posting a reply within 6 minutes.
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Hyronymus wrote:Next time I would appreciate it if you just edited your message instead of posting a reply within 6 minutes.
Sorry. I thought doing that would have been a bit schizophrenic.

Answering the question in the same post as I asked it would also have made my thread appear completely pointless... which I guess it is anyway.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes ... They've written off at least one of the cars on the 222. A shame really because the Pioneers have been one of the revelations of the network.

They're "80% new train" apparently compared to Virgin's Voyagers, but they're basically similar. Just a better interior layout according to users.

Just for clarification:

First Hull Trains' 222s are called Pioneers and are strictly 4-car.
Midland Mainline's 222s are called Meridians and are either 4 or 9 car trains, I believe.

Grand Central wanted to use 222s but will end up with HSTs.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

MML have 4, 5, 8 and 9 car Meridians I think.... at least they did last time I checked.
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Dave Worley wrote:They're "80% new train" apparently compared to Virgin's Voyagers, but they're basically similar. Just a better interior layout according to users.
I actually prefer the Voyagers personally.

The interior layout of a Meridian is very different. There are more seats packed into a Meridian, which has been managed by making the toilets smaller and removing half of the luggage racks. So there are seats where you can't see out of a window (MML likes to reserve these for me) and there's much less space to put large items of Luggage.

The most annoying difference however is the overhead luggage rack which is absolutely perfect in the Voyager, so Bombardier decided to improve on that by reducing the depth of it to mean-average-size-of-luggage-minus-an-inch meaning a lot of bags don't fit. Mine just about does if I use a mallet to hammer it in there. Worse was my girlfriend's bag, which pinged out somewhere near Trent junction narrowly missing a small child.

Better still, give me a carriage that doesn't make my teeth chatter when the engines idle. That's anything electric or a HST.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Please don't start vegging about HSTs and Loco-Hauled stock. I would be forced to put my boot in your face when I saw you.

Flickr

Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Dave Worley wrote:Please don't start vegging about HSTs and Loco-Hauled stock. I would be forced to put my boot in your face when I saw you.
No need. I'll take anything that doesn't have 750hp of roaring, reciprocating, floor thumping, tooth chattering, fuel guzzling, oil dripping..... ness under my seat.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Rather than a noisy, wasteful pair of 6,000hp Valentas screaming across the Cotswold countryside taking 4 passengers to Swansea? I very much think not...

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Oh no, not the HSTs v Voyagers debate again! *tin hat*
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

No, as I said Voyagers are fine. I like them.

I just, given the choice, prefer trains that don't make my teeth rattle when the engine idles in stations.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

What you really want is all the old Met Camm DMU's brought back! They'll rattle teeth, bones, everything you got!!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

(For the people like me, who dont know what kind of train is talking about :P)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

And this is the pile of cack I just mentioned!

|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Leeds!

Oh wait...this isnt the station game.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

badger wrote:What you really want is all the old Met Camm DMU's brought back! They'll rattle teeth, bones, everything you got!!
Oh happy memories. Hard to believe they were still using those less than 20 years ago. Back in the good ol' days, when a 150 Sprinter was the state-of-the-art. Well, I *say* gool ol' days...

My first thought when I saw this 222 on the ECML with First livery, before I knew about their hull trains ownership of course, was that it might be something to do with their bid for that route. Going by Oxford's recent experiences with FGW it'd be completely in character for First group to replace a 9-carriage Mallard set with a 4-carriage 222.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Parkey wrote:
badger wrote:What you really want is all the old Met Camm DMU's brought back! They'll rattle teeth, bones, everything you got!!
Oh happy memories. Hard to believe they were still using those less than 20 years ago. Back in the good ol' days, when a 150 Sprinter was the state-of-the-art. Well, I *say* gool ol' days...
Er, 101s were in use until 2001 around Manchester...
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Ameecher wrote:Er, 101s were in use until 2001 around Manchester...
Blimey 'eck!

Well that is "less than 20 years" I guess. :oops:

I guess Manchester must have recieved its 101s a few years prior to 2001 to replace its existing fleet of ageing trains.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”