Game Crashes using Nightlies r1445 to r1452

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Game Crashes using Nightlies r1445 to r1452

Post by Pookey » 04 Apr 2007 07:17

As the title says, the game crashes. No crashlogs, etc. From my experiences of around 40 crashes, it seems to happen on the first of the month, and moreoften than not, on the first of Feb. Olly screenshot attached. It also seems to have no pattern, sometimes years will go by without a crash.
Attachments
Olly Screenshot for Crash (occured 1st Feb 1925)
Olly Screenshot for Crash (occured 1st Feb 1925)
ollydbg2png.png (31.79 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan » 04 Apr 2007 19:36

This appears to be a town trying to expand. I take it that a savegame doesn't crash reliably, no matter how close you get to the month-change?
If you're not using newhouses, turning it off may make this crash go away.

Csaboka: ecx is out of valid range at patches/newhouse.asm:1051.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka » 05 Apr 2007 09:22

Pookey: could you post your config and savegame, please? I think I know what the problem is, but I'd like to know what other patch causes it, too.

As the comments say at the beginning of that proc, ECX and EDX are expected to be zero. The attached Olly shot clearly shows that EDX is not zero. My guess is that some new patch overwrites code before mine executes, and leaves ECX and EDX nonzero. With a config, I could check which patches are applied around my patch.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick

Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey » 14 Apr 2007 06:00

Sorry i didn't reply sooner, i was on holidays. I attached a save from Jan as it crashes more frequently at the beginning of Feb.

DaleStan: Turning newhouses off does seem to rectify the problem.
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
Config
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
TRT00.SV1
Save Game
(209.84 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Posted by Pookey...

Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka » 14 Apr 2007 11:29

Congratulations, you've found a bug that's present in betas as well. If you have exactly 255 house types in the game, the random house selection code goes berserk. It overwrites the stack in the process, I guess that's why it doesn't generate a crashlog.

I've committed the fix to the 2.5 source code. It may take some time before it gets merged to the 2.6 sources. Until then, you can work around the problem by using Cht: PurgeHouses. This will remove the unused house types from your game, so the number of types will be less than 255.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick

Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey » 17 Apr 2007 08:04

Never would have guessed it! Oh well, at least it's one less bug in the beta's :D
Posted by Pookey...

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”