The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

DrWho42
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by DrWho42 »

i wished the workers kept working in the game per aspera (2020)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Once every four years, I'm struck by the pure insanity of Winter Olympics.

In the Summer Olympics, we compete to find out who can run the fastest (short or long runs), who can throw stuff the farthest, who can jump the highest (with assistance of a pole or without assistance), or who is the fittest fighter.

In the Winter Olympics, we compete to find out who is the best at cleaning the ice in front of a stone to hit a little target further down the ice, who can SHOOT THE BEST WITH AN ACTUAL RIFLE after skiing for an hour or so, who can put their face down on to a goddamn ice slide and go down it the fastest without literally dying, or who can fly the PRETTIEST down an absolute mountain with a ramp.

The Winter Olympics are crazy. I love it.

I believe Biathlon (SHOOT A RIFLE AFTER SKIING) started as a military exercise in Norway which sort of makes sense, but who made it into an Olympic sport? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Chrill wrote: 08 Feb 2022 09:35 Once every four years, I'm struck by the pure insanity of Winter Olympics.

In the Summer Olympics, we compete to find out who can run the fastest (short or long runs), who can throw stuff the farthest, who can jump the highest (with assistance of a pole or without assistance), or who is the fittest fighter.

In the Winter Olympics, we compete to find out who is the best at cleaning the ice in front of a stone to hit a little target further down the ice, who can SHOOT THE BEST WITH AN ACTUAL RIFLE after skiing for an hour or so, who can put their face down on to a goddamn ice slide and go down it the fastest without literally dying, or who can fly the PRETTIEST down an absolute mountain with a ramp.

The Winter Olympics are crazy. I love it.

I believe Biathlon (SHOOT A RIFLE AFTER SKIING) started as a military exercise in Norway which sort of makes sense, but who made it into an Olympic sport? :mrgreen:
I believe that's because it gives people the excuse to do stupid things and get praised for it
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

At least Sweden is topping the medals table. We never do that. Last Olympics we scored 7 gold medals in total, now we already have 4. Yay Sweden! This won't last long, all our "safe" golds have been won now.
Attachments
2022wint.png
2022wint.png (32.61 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
My Scenarios:
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Chrill wrote: 08 Feb 2022 09:35 In the Winter Olympics, we compete to find out who is the best at cleaning the ice in front of a stone to hit a little target further down the ice, who can SHOOT THE BEST WITH AN ACTUAL RIFLE after skiing for an hour or so, who can put their face down on to a goddamn ice slide and go down it the fastest without literally dying, or who can fly the PRETTIEST down an absolute mountain with a ramp.
Chinese merged all that games in the one: how to curl a stone down the ice to hit small target of opponent's skate blade which would topple him and other opponent over.
These games are shameful farce.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I do enjoy the Winter Olympics, its a rather bizarre array of sports. Curling is also a rather interesting game to watch, i did look into seeing if anywhere near me did Curling as a normal sport at a regular town Sports Centre, no, basically. The UK team is generally quite good at Curling, no idea why, random sport for us to be good at, although Sweden just beat us out of a bronze at the mixed doubles, so hopefully we do better at the Women & Mens game. So far, at point of typing, GB's medal are uh, 0-0-0. Bummer.

Jamaica also qualified for the Bobsled, so I'm hoping for a sequel to Cool Runnings now.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
DrWho42
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DrWho42 »

2 cool 4 runnings
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

DrWho42 wrote: 13 Feb 2022 05:51 2 cool 4 runnings
Cool Runnings: Yanqing Drift? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Redirect Left wrote: 09 Feb 2022 02:57The UK team is generally quite good at Curling, no idea why, random sport for us to be good at
Curling was ‘invented’ in Scotland a few hundred years ago. I believe the GB curling teams are almost entirely Scottish!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote: 15 Feb 2022 22:47 Curling was ‘invented’ in Scotland a few hundred years ago. I believe the GB curling teams are almost entirely Scottish!
Well that answers that! Even then, even if i had 10 or so guesses, I'd have never guessed Scotland would be at the root for the game!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Scottish invented most sport, no? Ice hockey, golf, and now curling!
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Team GB have finally secured at least one medal, the men's curling team have made it to the finals. Up to this point we were still drawing a blank slate of 0-0-0 on the medal lists.
For a bit I was beginning to think we were going to get a total washout!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 17 Feb 2022 17:20 Team GB have finally secured at least one medal, the men's curling team have made it to the finals. Up to this point we were still drawing a blank slate of 0-0-0 on the medal lists.
For a bit I was beginning to think we were going to get a total washout!
And you're playing us. This is already officially Sweden's most successful Winter Olympics ever, in terms of medals won. 7 golds and a whole bunch of silvers and bronzes too. At least a silver to come in Mens curling, and the women's curling team is also playing the UK (in the semis) to maybe progress.

We're also in the semi finals of the men's ice hockey, so hopefully another medal to come there.
My Scenarios:
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Well this is a powerful storm. Lorries falling over, buildings ripped open. Can barely stand up never mind walk.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I escaped most of the storm, I was in Manchester's MediaCityUK for a recording of a TV show (in the audience, not a contestant, I'm afraid). wasn't too bad it seems, or all the 'bad' occurred during the 3 hours we were in the studio filming.
Although I've seen some really bad images from down in London, the O2 Arena / Millenium Dome is a bit in tatters roof wise it seems now.
DrWho42
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DrWho42 »

opened two godzilla blind bags and got mechagodzilla and mothra 8)
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote: 18 Feb 2022 21:50 I escaped most of the storm, I was in Manchester's MediaCityUK for a recording of a TV show (in the audience, not a contestant, I'm afraid). wasn't too bad it seems, or all the 'bad' occurred during the 3 hours we were in the studio filming.
Although I've seen some really bad images from down in London, the O2 Arena / Millenium Dome is a bit in tatters roof wise it seems now.
Was pretty crazy around our way.
Railway was a mess when I got to work on the Friday afternoon. Everything suspended.

When things were being prepared to move again, I got asked to take a train from our yard to London.
Had about 30 minutes, then went down to the unit and just before I jumped on a get a call...
"Yeah, head back to the mess room. Change of plan"
"What's happened?"
"Another tree just came down across all 4 lines.."
DrWho42
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DrWho42 »

started playing dialtown: a phone dating sim and it's fun/funny. i completed the karen good ending route last.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I got a tattoo two days ago. My first! Could anyone have a guess as to what it is? An F1 car of course. Vroom vroom.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 03 Mar 2022 09:26 I got a tattoo two days ago. My first! Could anyone have a guess as to what it is? An F1 car of course. Vroom vroom.
Schweeeet! Me & and friend were going to get sheep from the TomSka's "Beep Beep I'm A Sheep" video/song tattooed on an arm each. I even went as far as to ask TomSka on his patreon discord and got his permission. We haven't got around to actually doing the tattoos yet, mostly because I'm a coward and the pain idea of it all is not good in my head lol.

Return to “Off-Topic”