Hogwarts Express targeted

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

DJC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJC »

Dave Worley wrote:What about the countless carriages and stored vehicles that are vandalised every day?

Just because it's a special rake doesn't make it any worse.
I'm with Rai on this, it does make it worse for me because they're historical.

Its so depressing how little respect some people have these days.
Things I've made for Locomotion:
Scenarios: East Anglia | Trans Oceanic | Scotland | Narrow Gauge Nuts
Locomotives: (REL) BR 0-6-0 J94 | (REL) UK Steam Pack

My Flickr
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Indeed, it's disgusting the way this sort of stuff still happens.

Catch the buggers and give 'em National Service. ;)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

orudge wrote:Catch the buggers and give 'em National Service. ;)
They'd just vandalise that or go AWOL.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

We can send them all to Australia again! :p
Dave

Post by Dave »

michael blunck wrote:IMO, the real "vandalism" against railway equipment and infrastructure isn´t (and hadn´t been) done by single human beings (or small "crowds" of them) but from the railway companies themselves, in nearly every country.
Hmmm... Care to elaborate, Michael? I'm not entirely sure what you mean..?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Cutting services, etc, I'm guessing, maybe?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

>> Care to elaborate, Michael?
> Cutting services, etc, I'm guessing, maybe?

Yeah, Beeching Axe, e.g.?

Or "Real Vandalism (tm)" like that?

regards
Michael
Attachments
Doing it the DB way ... humdidum ...
Doing it the DB way ... humdidum ...
scrapping141s.jpg (234 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Well, if they can recycle it, why not do it? They should of course leave some of them, they may be historic soon.

I had to look up "chav" in wikipedia, didn't know that before..
Dave

Post by Dave »

michael blunck wrote:>> Care to elaborate, Michael?

Don't get me started on Richard Beeching. I choke everytime someone mentions his name ;)

In fairness, he did propose investment for a lot of things in the railways but it was the cuts that the government latched on to. And he was, of course, just doing his job.

Beeching failed to foresee passenger growth and that with some small investment lines that weren't profitable could become so.

Of course the real disaster of the Beeching Axe was the closure of the Great Central Mainline.

The b****** :evil:

Or "Real Vandalism (tm)" like that?
Yes, I do see what you mean now. Does DB scrap a lot of trains?

Britain has a hand in some of this:
Well, if they can recycle it, why not do it? They should of course leave some of them, they may be historic soon.
We've sent several trains abroad - I think the Class 87 ended up in Hungary or Poland and we have some trains out in Spain, etc. We've sent some old EMUs out there as well, as well as rolling stock.

As for preservation, well... It's who offers the more money. In today's privatised Britain, at least, if a scrapyard offers more for a train than a preservation group the selling company are hardly going with the lower offer, are they?

I'm reminded of the Class 89 appeal (In jpmaster's sig) that required massive donations and support just to seal the deal from GNER.

Luckily they saved it - there was only ever one built. BADGER :D

Back to the point about these 'historical' carriages having had windows smashed...

They're mk2 rolling stock... Arriva Trains Wales used mk2 rolling stock on it's loco-hauled services in the valleys. Virgin occasionally use a mk2 set on their Birmingham New Street-Manchester Piccadilly 90-hauled diagram. I believe (and Ameecher will confirm this) that 'one' (formerly Anglia) use, or did use, mk2 rolling stock on their express services.

The carriages are hardly rare. I bet they didn't even know it was the rake used on the 'Hogwarts Express'. Like I said, it's probably used for many different tours.

Flickr

Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

Yeah, I see your point Dave about vandalism. But it's also true in this case that the West Coast Railway Company (and its employees) could suffer because of this as the Lancaster Today article says.

Perhaps ironically, Carnforth where this took place illustrates what Dave and Michael were saying, as it is a shadow of what it used to be due to cuts, partly Beeching, partly with the 70s upgrade of the West Coast Mainline as I understand it. A station which had I think six platforms and was a major junction station in its heyday now has just two, with the platforms on the WCML cut back and fenced off. But at least it is much better than it was a few years ago when it was also deserted and dilapidated - the restoration has been quite a success and by today's standards the train service isn't too bad for a town that size. (For those who are interested, quite a lot of info can be found at http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk/)
:)
SM9T8
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SM9T8 »

Dave Worley wrote:
michael blunck wrote:>> Care to elaborate, Michael?

Don't get me started on Richard Beeching. I choke everytime someone mentions his name ;)

In fairness, he did propose investment for a lot of things in the railways but it was the cuts that the government latched on to. And he was, of course, just doing his job.

Beeching failed to foresee passenger growth and that with some small investment lines that weren't profitable could become so.

Of course the real disaster of the Beeching Axe was the closure of the Great Central Mainline.

The b****** :evil:
I rank the closure of the S&D up there to, as it ran through a part of the counrty where the roads are at best roman. If it was still around I could get to collage by train along a double track main line, as it is I have a hair rasing bus journey along narrow lanes.
If he's alive I say hang him, if he's dead I say dig him up and hang him, that is unless he repented and spent the rest of his life preserving railways.
Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

He isn't alive, but let's not get carried away.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Like I said, Richard Beeching actually produced some ideas about creating and saving lines in his report, but the government ignored it.

I'm not going to comment on whether he was right to do so. Some lines NEEDED to be shut. The Bumblehole Line from Old Hill to Dudley, for example, regularly saw single railcars totally empty on both outs and returns.

Flickr

Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

Similarly, there was no way TWO branches to Morecambe were going to carry on.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Don't know about vandalism, but, some graffiti is quite nice. If i ever buy a house, i'll make sure all the graffiti artists know which walls to use and which walls not to use. ;)
Last known as: Weirdy
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

So graffiti looks nice? Nevermind the fact that most of the vandals/"artists" are putting their lives at risk to the wall/train that they feel needs a face lift...

Quite how the below LU trains managed to be graffitied what with all those live electric rails around the depots I don't know, but weirdy, you can't claim that train looks nice.

jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

i agree it does look nice 8) but its still petty vandalisim and a crime :x and with it being on the railways r tax money pays to clean it when they can be bothered
Everton F.C The pride of merseyside
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

nice... :wink:

Darwin Award:

A group of boys were bored and decided to go paint the trains in the local yard.
they climbed over three fences with signs on high voltage everywhere.
One of them did a sketch on the New coaches.
Another Did A big p***s on an electric train.
The third yob, unsatisfyed with the side, climbed ontop of the same electric train and did a very elaborate design on the whole roof, when he as finished he stood up...and was killed instantly by the live wire, the flash could be seen all around the town and the remains was just a shoe.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure where you get these from but they're not amusing.

Flickr

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

darwin awards
but my exsample does show why railway vandalism is a really dumb idea
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”