[media] Railroads for TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

[media] Railroads for TE

Post by uzurpator »

This topic is for the work on railroads and their infrastructure used in Transport Empire. If you have content you want to share in this aspect, please post it here.

Current theme - dutch railways.

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models, sunds etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Something like this D52?
(Guess that al least it'll need some kind of valve gear :))

Oh, dutch you say? :P

But although they served their function when rendered for Simutrans pak128, they have not received enough care for certain tasks such as, well, a 3D game.

In any case, I'm posting the Klopopler model.
Attachments
jnrlocomotive.png
jnrlocomotive.png (56.59 KiB) Viewed 30764 times
nsrailyards.png
nsrailyards.png (282.6 KiB) Viewed 33734 times
Klopoper.rar
(140.45 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Whoa! Nice models. Are all those finsished models?
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Well, that's a good question, they're not finished at all, they were meant for much lighter tasks.

Oh, and they're not pretty efficient regarding polys.

I've got lots and lots of stuff at this level. (and lots and lots and lots)

But I'm not entirely happy with the GPL, so dunno...

EDIT: I thought you had asked about the polycount

pak96 Simutrans Depot
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

The amount of polies in the model is in the top right of the Blender window. I see most of your polygons are quads, and we need triangles in game. Converted to triangles there're 10308 polygons in your train, which is quite a lot, but not insane (and there is the possibility of reducing that count, the windows for example can be done entirely with the textures).
I'm not into licensing. The game is going to be GPL, if you're not comfortable with that license, perhaps it's possible to use a different one that isn't too incompatible from GPL to be used for Transport Empire.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

I've got no real issues with GPL, but in the past I've posted some .blend files and they were desecrated, so to say :)

About reducing to triangles and a more reduced amount of polys. Well, as you see, this is a very quick model, since I wanted the set out fast, and I didn't cared about committing insane amounts of polys that could be saved by textures, as you say. But I find fun to model and ugly to UV map, so I didn't do it at the moment, I can try now, however. Well, not NOW, but whenever I revisit these vehicles.

pak96 Simutrans Depot
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Woah, these models are enough to create a decent set with. :shock:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Not yet, got stuck somewhere in the nineties of the EMU 'line', oh, and would need wagons. (passenger wagons, freight I have too, but won't spam the thread)

It'd be nice to see a vehicle that sets quality standards. It's pretty easy to get better models, only giving them some time.

And I really hope that the style doesn't get out of hand, as we can all see in the lovely but psychodelic results that OTTD32bit is yielding.

pak96 Simutrans Depot
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Raven wrote:In any case, I'm posting the Klopopler model.
Don't you mean the Koploper?

Nice models too, although the first one looks a bit high detailed so I doubt that it will go ingame although it looks awesome!
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Gresley - Ginzu, hhehe
(no, that doesn't excuse it )

Yep, Koploper

About reducing spritecount, here's a little experiment about reducing bogies to a mere box, to save space :)

Posting the br8P, which is called something like SH8 in TTD
--------------------------------------------

Now, there are two ways to handle set creation, accept everything thus ending never and with a mixture of stuff. Or doing it the krtaylor way, with a tracking table, and efforts focused into one thing at a time.

For each model, UV map textures could very easily replace flat and undetailed surfaces like tender sides, with all the fine detail that's missing. In fact, lots of detail could be placed this way, and even create user configurable textures...

You proposed a NS themed set? Well, there's no ID restriction here, and real scale is not only possible, but a must, so it's the best moment to set some standards. In my oppinion, that is.
Attachments
Bogies_0.png
Bogies_0.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 30710 times
engine.png
engine.png (31.31 KiB) Viewed 30709 times
sh8p.rar
(120.33 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

RAVEN! I'll make love to you now! :D

Don't bother with polycount. High is good. If it proves too high, it can be reduced. Also, there are automatic ways to lower polycount - so high is good.

EDIT:

Standard is:
16 metres = 1 tile. Make all models adhere to realistic sizing and proportions.

EDIT2:

Talk to arathorn about organistion - but if I may - the tracking table is the best way imnsho.

EDIT3:

Regarding GPL - we need a possibility to alter the content - for the most basic need - ferinstance to switch format from .blender to, whichever we shall use. Or to use some sort of polycount culling or other postprocessing. Unless we devise some sort of other licence (because i can imagine you don't want to find your models in some commercial game in 4 years) then GPL or LGPL is a requirement of sorts.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I agree with the tracking table. It's easier to figure out what needs to be done and also gives the audience something to look out for.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Concerning the GPL I have some serious doubts. We haven't even chosen a licence type for Transport Empire itself so how can we impose a license type on the media we will use?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, AFAIK, TE can always use GPL'd media, so there's no problem. Discussing the license took too long anyways.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:Well, AFAIK, TE can always use GPL'd media, so there's no problem. Discussing the license took too long anyways.
No, deciding which one to take took too long. The discussion itself was short as there were only some licence types considered possible. But until we have a licence set for Transport Empire I'm not sure we can simply use GPL'd media "always". Can someone knowledgable in the domain of GPL licenses help out here?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, we'd always be able to replace GPL'd media with media with another fitting license. Choosing GPL for now would greatly help getting the game developed, AFAICT.
Image Image
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Or if you depend on a 'team' of people that do the graph, create a private place to work in and forget about licenses until TE is released.

GPL should be fine for all the stuff I get around posted. At least for the moment. Just be kind to inform me if you use it for other purposes.

Whenever the tracking table is out, I'll start refining the models and creating UV maps for the people to have fun with their photoshops/gimps/paintbrushes.

Regards

pak96 Simutrans Depot
Seelenquell
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Seelenquell »

wow! very impressive yard..
i did all models/renderings/textures myself. no conversions.

seelenquell.pytalhost.com has been reactivated from 16/07/28 till 18/05/31.. now it´s deactivated. at least there..
new URL is: http://seelenquell.125mb.com
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Thanks Seelenquell, been lurking around some forums and found your yards as well, now that's impressive! ;)

On the vehicles topic, how shall these be introduced into the game?

Well, if you don't mind I'll activate lurking mode, but count on me when some sort of support for vehicles/buildings is implemented.

Regards

pak96 Simutrans Depot
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

raven only 1 problem with the trains=> the wheels... they are more like 8-sided then round... (really dunno why, try more vertices in a circle or subsurf the part....

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”