[media] Aircraft for TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

[media] Aircraft for TE

Post by Arathorn »

edit by uzurpator
This topic is for the work on aircrraft and asociated content of Transport Empire.

Current theme - a range of interesting planes.

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models, sounds etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.

--

by arathorn

This is the central topic for the Transport Empire Planeset.
The goal of this set is to make a range of interesting aircraft available in Transport Empire.
To spare us a lot of time discussing which planes to include, we'll roughly follow the list of aircraft available in the Planeset for TTD.

I'm not good at texturing, so for now I won't attempt to make textures. I'll attach aircraft models I've made in Blender to posts in this topic, so feel free to download them and make textures for it. I prefer to use company colours for the planes instead of real-life liveries to maintain a consistent look across the vehicles in your company. I think having two company colours (one primary and one secondary) like in OpenTTD would look best.

EDIT: I've added the tracking table to this post.
Attachments
Planes for Transport Empire tracking table.pdf
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 938 times
Last edited by Arathorn on 22 Mar 2007 00:03, edited 2 times in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

if you're doing company colors, all you need is plain coloured textures, right?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Yes, with details like windows and doors off course.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So, what if I'd make tiny parts of texture, which can be combined to any texture you want?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I'm sorry for the late answer Purno, I had to think about it a bit and then forgot. The answer is yes, I can paste together tiny bits of texture, so if you make a door or a window for example I can use it.

I've finished my first plane model. It's ready for animating and texturing, but those bits will be done last. My plan is to model all planes first, if more's known about the animations and colours used for company colours I'll do the rest.
Attachments
Fokker F27 Friendship.7z
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
Fokker F27 Friendship render.png
(388.8 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Last edited by Arathorn on 22 Mar 2007 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I also finished my Lockheed Constellation. In the archives I include images I found for making the models, to help texture artists
Attachments
Lockheed Constellation render.png
Lockheed Constellation render.png (142.83 KiB) Viewed 31832 times
Lockheed Constellation.7z
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 503 times
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

What a beautiful plane! Great work!

BTw, if there are landing/take off sequences, perhaps you should consider modelling the flaps (and all the other moving thingies on these shiny fliers) appart, retrofit models is not the funniest thing to do.
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Arathorn wrote:I'm sorry for the late answer Purno, I had to think about it a bit and then forgot. The answer is yes, I can paste together tiny bits of texture, so if you make a door or a window for example I can use it.
Can you place textures over each other?
And what are going to be the company colors?
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I've already added flaps, but you won't see them as they're in line with the wing now (and I believe I welded them together accidentally when I removed doubles, but that's easily corrected).

Overlaying textures can be done, but it's easier to work with one big texture, which can off course be created by pasting them together in any image manipulation program. My idea for company colours is using two not often used colours, and have the game engine replace those colours with the two company colours (mayor and minor) automatically. Those colours shouldn't be used anywhere else in the graphics off course, so I was thinking about two shades of pink or something like that.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

@company colors:

Do we only want one shade ( c.q. darkness ) of every company color, or do we want more (like TTD uses 8 shades per company color)? Perhaps it's an idea to have 255 shades per company color, so you could have, for example, have all shades derived from pink (RGB 255,0,255)?
Attachments
TECC.PNG
TECC.PNG (15.69 KiB) Viewed 28312 times
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I think shading will be done by the game engine, but I'm not sure, we should ask Uzurpator about it.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

What I am thinking about is having two or three layers of texture.

First will be the usual texture, the second will be "colour scheme" which will be alpha-blended/mixed onto the base.

Somethink like a paining - first the base which sets how the vehicle looks like, and then a 'tatoo' etched ontop of it with company decals/colors etc.

The same tatoo can be used on all vehicles - and it should be possible to switch the tatoo without redoing the base skin.

Anyhoo - for now concentrate on making the "generic" detail - like a white base with all the small details. Ontop of that will be blended the color "scheme" and ontop of that a "company tatoo". Basicly however all vehicles should have a basic grayscale skin.

:EDIT:

Ok - clearer.
First - grayscale primer texture with details
Second - color texture with paint scheme
Third - decal texture with company logo.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Some 32x32 pix texture parts for windows and doors. Do you guys mean something like this?

(magenta (RGB 255,0,255) should be transparent)
Attachments
work.PNG
work.PNG (11.83 KiB) Viewed 28295 times
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Yes but at a higher resolution.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Higher? How much higher?
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Could you make them 128x128?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That big? :shock:

How detailled do you want them? :shock:
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Well to be honest I don't really know how big those textures should be. I haven't attempted to do any textures for airplanes yet, and those are a little more difficult then the ones I have experience with modelling. I'll toy around with the textures you already made first and then report back to you.
In the meantime I've completed my Airbus A330. :P
Attachments
Airbus A330.7z
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
Airbus A330 render.png
Airbus A330 render.png (172.27 KiB) Viewed 30397 times
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [media] Aircraft for TE

Post by Arathorn »

I was bored tonight, so I decided to start working on a futuristic plane. It's not even that futuristic, Boeing is even working on one together with NASA, but because airliners are so conservative, I don't expect to see them in service soon.
Some more info:
http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/intro/futureac.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_wing_body
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-48
Attachments
Boeing NASA BWB.png
Boeing NASA BWB.png (59.49 KiB) Viewed 25167 times
The Archcontroller
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [media] Aircraft for TE

Post by The Archcontroller »

Looks awesome! I love blended-wing aircraft!

A bit off-topic, but blended-wing aircraft, while incredibly efficient, aren't on the market for passenger planes. Why? No windows! Or at least, that's what the airlines say.

But the military is very interested :)
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize" - Robert Moses

"...a biography of Robert Moses would today be called 'At Least he Got it Built!'" - Elliot Spitzer

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”