GNER to go!

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Well..Virgin train's trains are new..whereas GNER's are old...even with a refurbishment its fairly limited to what they can do with them. They are good for what they are..but talking of the trains rather than the company, Virgin train's trains are 'superior'
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I personally find the voyagers and pendolinos a bit claustrophobic because of the profile that they have to have in order to tilt in the corners, the windows are also smaller... It was not the trains that were the problem with GNER it was the people running them. For goodness sakes, who lets a container shipping company operate a high speed railway!?

Oh yeah, the government :roll:
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Ameecher wrote:I personally find the voyagers and pendolinos a bit claustrophobic because of the profile that they have to have in order to tilt in the corners, the windows are also smaller... It was not the trains that were the problem with GNER it was the people running them. For goodness sakes, who lets a container shipping company operate a high speed railway!?

Oh yeah, the government :roll:
Well First and Arriva are Bus companies...Stagecoach used to operate down south, Island Line and all that iirc..as long as you have money anyone can get a railway franchise.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

jpmaster wrote:...Stagecoach used to operate down south, Island Line and all that iirc..as long as you have money anyone can get a railway franchise.
Stagecoach still do operate "down south" they operate SWT as well as Island Line.

At least bus companies like Arriva, First and NatEx have experience in moving people, Shipping companies tend not to.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Sea Containers LTD..GNER's parent company does.(did).have experience in moving passengers though..over water mind..
On March 24 2006 Sea Containers announced its intention to withdraw from the ferry business. These are:

SeaStreak – fast ferry services between New York and New Jersey.
SNAV-Hoverspeed – a joint venture with Italian ferry operator SNAV. Uses the former Seacat Danmark as Zara Jet.
Aegean Speed Lines – a joint venture in Greece with the Eugenides Group. The service uses the former Hoverspeed Great Britain as Speedrunner 1, which operated in the English Channel and held the Hales Trophy and Blue Riband for the fastest crossing of the North Atlantic.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Should i push the NS, to take over that line and let the using the VIRMS? :P (They have a Bagpipe sound, at least it will be on the same island then :P)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

This country needs nationalisation!

Look at all the examples of state-run transport networks that run to the minute, are top-class and cost nothing to use;

France's SNCF
Switzerland's SBB
Germany's DB
Netherland's NS
Italy's FS

Why cant we be like them... i blame Miss Thatcher for that :roll:

More to come... :P

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Then some of those national railway companies start running our railways!
jamesvassie wrote:are top-class and cost nothing to use
But european railways do cost money to use.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

It looks like GNER are not going to loose out entirely because of this, under a condition though. They have joined forces with the Stagecoach and Virgin 'Intercity - railways limited' if the bid is successful then GNER will get a 10% stake in the franchise.

Chief executive of Stagecoach, Brian Souter, and Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson said in a joint statement: "The management capability within the GNER team, combined with the strong track-record of Stagecoach and Virgin in delivering high-quality rail services to passengers across the country, will allow us to submit an innovative and compelling bid"
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

wonder what livery they will carry??? if this goes ahead
Everton F.C The pride of merseyside
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Interesting question, I seriously doubt they would keep the GNER livery but change the logos on the trains. Also, Virgin is lucky to be in the running at all - if they were going into bidding as the sole party then they would be denied as i believe government legislation is in place to stop companies monopolising routes and Virgin would monopolise the 'main' routes into Scotland. They are only in because they are in a joint venture with Stagecoach. For that reason, though the reasoning is weak i also do not think they would run the trains in Virgin red.
That leaves a stagecoach livery, or an entirely new livery. I, personally, would not like to see a 91 sporting stagecoach livery though.
Dave

Post by Dave »

No I think they'd put them in Virgin. Corporate Branding to me, even if it is 49% Stagecoach owned.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

yep would look good i think :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

It wouldn't be Virgin Red either.

It'd be Virgin Silver ;)

Flickr

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Dave Worley wrote:No I think they'd put them in Virgin. Corporate Branding to me, even if it is 49% Stagecoach owned.
It's 51% Virgin owned, so Branson decides. You think he's going to paint them white with blue and orange stripes? heheh... no.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Virgin Silver/Red livery wouldn't look as good on the 91 and mk4s as it does on the Pendolino. GNER livery on the class 91 is the best damn livery on the network at this moment but I suspect it will end up being silver. The thing that would make it look weird is the angular ends of the 91s as opposed the (more smooth ends) of the voyagers and (very smooth ends) to the pendos.
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Brianetta wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:No I think they'd put them in Virgin. Corporate Branding to me, even if it is 49% Stagecoach owned.
It's 51% Virgin owned, so Branson decides. You think he's going to paint them white with blue and orange stripes? heheh... no.
Its 41% Virgin and 39% Stagecoach now that GNER have the 10% stake.
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

pendilinos look like they have a massive light bulb top at the front of the train !!! i would easily welcome back class 86 with mk3s any day they have more character than the voyagers to they look so thin i have never been on 1 but they r ment to be costraphobic :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

jonnie47 wrote:pendilinos look like they have a massive light bulb top at the front of the train !!! i would easily welcome back class 86 with mk3s any day they have more character than the voyagers to they look so thin i have never been on 1 but they r ment to be costraphobic :P
Don't judge until you've been on one.

Bendy-Dildos are somewhat claustrophobic, but Voyagers are much brighter.

86/mk3s are gone. I hear enough of this froth on the trainspotting website I go on.

And don't knock trains til you've travelled on them.

Flickr

jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

jpmaster wrote:
Brianetta wrote:
Its 41% Virgin and 39% Stagecoach now that GNER have the 10% stake.
I see a flaw in your logic :P

46% Virgin, 44% Stagecoach and 10% GNER :wink:
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”