General Worldwide Railway/Bus Chat

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Its not bad there, we go to it every wednesday and its not accessible to the general public. Though unfortunately we'd need a really woo-hoo camera to get pictures from the mainline.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Two suspected graffiti artists have been killed by a London Underground (LU) train in Barking, east London.
British Transport Police (BTP) said the pair, aged 19 and 21, were hit by a District Line train at Barking depot at 2306 GMT on Friday.

Police said a group of men were seen spraying graffiti nearby moments before the crash, but stressed they were not being chased by security guards.

A 23-year-old man was arrested near the scene on suspicion of criminal damage. A spokesman for London Ambulance Service said the pair were pronounced dead at the scene.

'Dangerous pastime'

Ch Supt Paul Crowther said that although a security guard spotted a group spraying graffiti, which may have spurred them to flee, they were "not being chased".

He said: "It appears that they ran into the path of the train having emerged from a nearby depot. The train driver did try to stop but was unable to do so."
Describing the incident as "tragic" he said it showed that spraying graffiti was a "dangerous pastime".
A man who lives in a block of flats opposite the tracks where the incident happened said he saw the bodies from his kitchen window.
John Leitch said: "I came out to my kitchen window and saw that there was a train there where normally there isn't one.
"The train moved off and I could see that there were two bodies on the track. They looked like young men."

Increased security

He added that emergency services had to wait until the power on the lines was turned off to reach the bodies.
They were moved from the tracks early on Saturday morning.
A two-metre fence with barbed wire on it surrounds the Barking station, but Ch Supt Paul Crowther said he was not sure how the group entered the depot despite this.
He added that increased security across stations in London ensured fewer incidents of vandalism.
London Underground said services between East Ham and Dagenham on the District Line were suspended on Friday night following the incident but they were resumed at 0800 GMT on Saturday.
hixyz111
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hixyz111 »

Now I have to ride a train replacement bus to city because of grade separation of Middlesbrough Rd.Which have to take 6 weeks to complete.I have to catch a bus to Box Hill then I have to catch a train to city rather than catching a train directly from Blackburn :cry: ,
The next train departing platform 3 will be 2:30 Flinders Street.Stopping all stations except East Richmond.Remember to validate your metcard before you travel.beep..beep
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

...so that's what you get up to when I'm busy, JP....but you're right, that platform not far from peterborough Station in Railworld is a pretty good spot for trainspotting. It's about 2-3 metres from the double line that goes ovwer to Norwich, i believe...

Does this mean that when we finally get the remote cameras working on that site you'll spend all your time trainspotting with them? :roll:
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

proudmoore wrote:...so that's what you get up to when I'm busy, JP....but you're right, that platform not far from peterborough Station in Railworld is a pretty good spot for trainspotting. It's about 2-3 metres from the double line that goes ovwer to Norwich, i believe...

Does this mean that when we finally get the remote cameras working on that site you'll spend all your time trainspotting with them? :roll:
Not all my time...a vast majority. When you're looking the other way..
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

Time for me to change the password and username on them then... or weven better, just change the access permissions so you can see but not move em :twisted:
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

For shame!
Then i shall just do it the old fashioned way and see them with mine own eyes!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Rail firm failures 'led to crash'

A "catalogue of failures to act over a number of years" caused the Paddington train crash in 1999, a court has heard.
There were failings across all levels of staff at Railtrack, which maintained the railways - the sentencing hearing at Blackfriars Crown Court was told.

Philip Mott QC, for the Crown, compared the crash, which killed 31 and injured more than 400, to a terrorist atrocity.
Network Rail, which replaced Railtrack, earlier admitted safety breaches and is now facing an unlimited fine.

The crash happened on 5 October, 1999, when a Thames Train went through a red light at Ladbroke Grove, shortly after leaving Paddington in west London. It hit a Great Western express, causing the first-class carriage at the front to burst into flames.

Mr Mott said a catalogue of failures to act over a number of years had meant drivers - both inexperienced and experienced - passed through one signal at red on seven separate occasions.
"It was the last protection against a head-on collision with a train travelling at high speed," he said.
"The sad conclusion... is that the failings started with the culture at the top of the body responsible for the track and affected staff at all levels of the organisation."

Mr Mott said: "This was no terrorist attack, but to many who have suffered and still suffer it must have seemed as senseless and unnecessary."
He added that the devastating impact was compounded by "fireballs of diesel vapour" which shot through wrecked carriages".
The number of dead and injured was so high, there was a danger they may appear to be "mere statistics", he said.
"But no one who has studied the evidence in this case can fail to be aware of the individual tragedies which lie behind each and every one of those names and numbers."

In October 2006, Network Rail admitted charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Train operator Thames Trains was fined £2m for the crash in April 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6495475.stm

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”