New Terrain Generator

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

It should work in similar fashion.

Delta(0-255) / Trunc(0-255) / Patch size(0-255)

ferinstance cht:landgen 10 60 200

I remember chagning the patch wiki to include new values...
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Mickeye
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Mickeye »

I see, the range for roughness parametr was changed. Ok, thanks for quick response.
M.
Mickeye on devArt | Last.fm || Winner of "Best TT-Forums signature, 2006" award
Deblaauwn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Deblaauwn »

When should we expect a wiki update? I tried some values, and it appears that having a value for Patch size < value Trunc gives a lockup.
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

uzurpator wrote:I remember chagning the patch wiki to include new values...
I'm sorry, but what is it you remember changing on the wiki? Because as much as I try, all I can see in the history of the LandGen documentation page is the first version written by DaleStan.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Deblaauwn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Deblaauwn »

maybe he meant to say 'I should remember'
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

I _did_ change the wiki. Dunno why the changes are not listed tho :/
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

Well, for some reason they don't show up in there. Could you please do it again?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Probably, you either failed to click "Save changes", or did so after your session timed out.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

uzurpator wrote:I _did_ change the wiki.
Looking at the history, I still can't see any updates. Could you please do that, instead of debating the reasons why your last attempt did not succeed?

minime
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Deblaauwn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Deblaauwn »

Maybe it's possible to add a quantity-of-trees bit to the cheat? When I generate a map most cities are surrouded by dense woods, so I can't terraform followed by planting trees to make the local authority happy again.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re:

Post by DaleStan »

maartenvanheek wrote:Maybe it's possible to add a quantity-of-trees bit to the cheat? When I generate a map most cities are surrouded by dense woods, so I can't terraform followed by planting trees to make the local authority happy again.
That shouldn't be to hard, but I won't touch that code until it agrees with the documentation, except possibly to roll back to the most recent version that did what the docs say it should do.

If someone else wants to fix the documentation instead, then by all means, do so.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Terrain Generator

Post by George »

As we remember trgir.grf has some landscape templates (sprites 52-88), which were used by default land generator.
New industries, like castles, require specific landscape to be build.
So, I would like to suggest the following idea for the new land generator:
A GRF can provide some landscape templates (in the same format as trgir.grf for example, or in a more complex format that can also specify water, trees, desert) and the map generator reads and applies them on the generated map and than places specified industries on these specially prepared places.

Would it be hard to do?
Image Image Image Image
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

It may be of interest that in OTTD when we created the Terragenesis generator, I also had to add code to prepare ground sites below industries. Otherwise, with rough terrains, almost no industries were placed (or they congregated en mass onto the arctic plateaus etc.)
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

richk67 wrote:It may be of interest that in OTTD when we created the Terragenesis generator, I also had to add code to prepare ground sites below industries. Otherwise, with rough terrains, almost no industries were placed (or they congregated en mass onto the arctic plateaus etc.)
Can grf manage that place? For example, if the industry requires sloped land inside town, would it be prepared inside town?
Image Image Image Image
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

All the ground sites for industries in OTTD were flat land, so it wouldnt work for your rather nice, but exotic terrain requirement for the castle. All the coding for it was done directly... no newgrf was required then.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

richk67 wrote:All the ground sites for industries in OTTD were flat land, so it wouldnt work for your rather nice, but exotic terrain requirement for the castle. All the coding for it was done directly... no newgrf was required then.
Would it be possible to improve the code to work with predefined sloped land?
Image Image Image Image
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I see no reason why you couldnt use something similar to the Prop 23 Placement Mask I developed for use with my NewGRF airports. It allows definition of a required land shape. All that would be needed would be a) TTDP support, b) OTTD to support the format within its main industry placement code.

I would suggest that if the terrain meets all other requirements, and can be terraformed to the required shape, then it should auto-terraform it. But it isnt at all straightforward. (Currently, I have only added land/sea placement difference. I intend to add height requirements to the NewGRF Airports to allow for more irregular shapes, but its a low priority even in the NewGRF_ports branch.)
Firework Photography
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You're confusing two different things. "Industry placement", and "force generator to make a land shape where the industry can be placed".
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Err... nope. No confusion here.

George said earlier:
A GRF can provide some landscape templates (in the same format as trgir.grf for example, or in a more complex format that can also specify water, trees, desert) and the map generator reads and applies them on the generated map and than places specified industries on these specially prepared places.
So, the template (ie. Placement Mask) is read from the .grf, and used by the landscape generator to prepare places for the industry placement. It sounds exactly the situation - George wants to have a way of auto-terraforming to prepare places for industry placement. Or at least thats how I read what he was after...
Firework Photography
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

richk67 wrote:So, the template (ie. Placement Mask) is read from the .grf, and used by the landscape generator to prepare places for the industry placement. It sounds exactly the situation - George wants to have a way of auto-terraforming to prepare places for industry placement. Or at least thats how I read what he was after...
Yes, that is the way I suggested. But it may be not the unique solution.
It is possible, theoretically, have auto-terraforming that terraforms land when the industry is being build. But how would it found, what terraforming should it use?

Just to clarify things. The AIM I have is to help random map generator to place "exotic" industries. The way to do it is not important for me.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General TTDPatch”