Creating your own maps

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Creating your own maps

Post by Hyronymus »

Is it a possibility to create your own maps from a file format? In Simcity 3000, you could create maps of your own by using greyscale *.pcx-files I thought. Each whiter shade of pale (hehe) was linked to a height. Would be fun if it's possible, there will be loads of maps available to share.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Why not just include a world editor? And the normal maps must be custom, not standard maps, that's so RRT2.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Arathorn wrote:Why not just include a world editor? And the normal maps must be custom, not standard maps, that's so RRT2.
That is indeed a solution but not the exact solution that I was aiming for. What I meant, I wasn't clear about that, is that you shouldn't have to create and polish maps of earth regions by hand. Wouldn't it be useful if you can read a *.pcx and that the world editor transforms greycolour in heights. Like that, you will have a earth map within seconds. It will ease the creation of (realistic) maps.
About standard maps in RRT2: you can edit them as much as you like, even create new parts of land, assign nation borders (!) etc. All as you wish!
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Let's have some nice self-definable local authority borders - not fun dealing with vast tracts of land which are under no authority. People get up to all sorts of nasty tricks in there, like sabotaging the opposition, running dodgy stock-market plays from the middle of nowhere, screwing with their signals, ... and that's just me ;-P
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I really like the apporach from RRT 2. I've mentioned that game many times before, since it is a well-developped sequal to TTD and such. The only limitation is the lack of other then trains. But when it comes to gameplay, it's very good.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

There is a basic utility, called BMP2SV0 (search on Google) that converts greyscale height maps to TTD scenarios. Something like that should be possible for TT2. I don't know the current progress yet (still reading through new posts), so I don't know what the engine is like ATM.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

orudge wrote:There is a basic utility, called BMP2SV0 (search on Google) that converts greyscale height maps to TTD scenarios. Something like that should be possible for TT2. I don't know the current progress yet (still reading through new posts), so I don't know what the engine is like ATM.
WHA !!!!! :shock: :shock: and YOU TALKIN NOW ABOUT IT !!!!!! :roll:
.btw DOES anyone knows where can I get greyscales images of Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa ??? I have only seen US ones
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Hyronymus wrote:I really like the apporach from RRT 2. I've mentioned that game many times before, since it is a well-developped sequal to TTD and such. The only limitation is the lack of other then trains. But when it comes to gameplay, it's very good.
I really didn't like anything from RRT2. I espescially hated the Europe map, it has very odd borders for the Netherlands and Belgium. The inability to change anything from the map while playing the game (and not in the editor) is also very annoying. You can only lay tracks over hills on a stupid scale.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What are the things you CAN change during the game in TTD and CANNOT change during the game in RRT2?

- Borders TTD has no borders at all so RRT2 adds that to the game. Besides: you, as company chief changing borders because you dislike them? Not really reliastic IMO.
- Laying tracks This was very neat actually. Steep hills and mountains required an approach like in reality: zig-zagging the track makes it possible to have low steepness grades. I also thought the scale was very adequate: I once had a track from LA to NY, about 9000 miles.
- Building industry One tool RRT2 lacked, but made up for it by a pretty good economic system. It would be nice to have this tool in RRT2 though.

IMHO RRT2 resembles reallife economic and industrial processes better than TTD. The implementation of a stock market to the game is another thing that makes it fun. If you are a megalomaniac you can buy your share in competitor's companies and more or less force a take-over (i.e. when you own 50% + 1 of the stock).
But before we end up arguing about RRT2, this is just how I feel it. I can imagine your opinion to the game, Arathorn. I just happen to find it a more realistic approach then TTD. It definetly lacks other transportation means though.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I didn't like the borders because according to them Rotterdam and Amsterdam lie in Belgium. The scale on the smaller maps are OK, but play Europe for example.
But anyway let's get back to TT2 discussion as you said.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:WHA !!!!! :shock: :shock: and YOU TALKIN NOW ABOUT IT !!!!!! :roll:
Eh?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

doesn't metter .... but I agree ... greyscales images ... must be ... in TT2 ...

BTW !!!!!!!!
where can I find greyscales images of other countries than US ??
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”