High Quality Scenario Templates of the UK

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

High Quality Scenario Templates of the UK

Post by MGSteve »

Hi, I've generated some scenario templates from height maps for the new upcoming version of OpenTTD (clicky), currently undergoing testing. (They won't load in the current stable version, you'll have to use the TGP version of OpenTTD).

These were made from a heightmap generated from real satellite data and to a 2048x2048 resolution (so the 2048 sized map is very accurate, if rather too large to be playable, but boy does it look good! lol

Feel free to use them as you wish. However, a credit if you release your scenario would be appreciated, it was a major pain to get hold & process the data for this map!

If you've got requests for other areas of the world, feel free to ask. I am very busy with work at the mo, so it may take a couple of days to get back to you.

I just wish I had to the time to dress one of these up with real life towns and roads! I'm sure someone feels up to the challenge! lol ;)
Attachments
UK Maps.zip
Scenario files zipped up. Includes maps at 2048,1024,512,256 & 128 square.
(636.61 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Telekoman
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Telekoman »

Wow it looks great... how did you do that?
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

Telekoman wrote:Wow it looks great... how did you do that?
Got hold of the satellite data, merged the various cells which made up the data together, converted it to a greyscale heightmap and trimmed it down to size.

Sounds like 5 mins, took me best part of a day to find all the info & a few hours to do it!

The effect is stunning though.
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

That is indeed awesome, looks a lot more accurate than the UK map I made once, well done!
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Which version were these made with exactly? They won't load for me with r5885-TGP. :(
nlhans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nlhans »

Oh nice work man! Maybe you can teach me how to do it? I might want to make a 2048x2048 map of The netherlands one day and build all the road highways as train tracks :)

If you want to explain it, email me or add me at MSN.
Pendrokar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pendrokar »

Maedhros wrote:Which version were these made with exactly? They won't load for me with r5885-TGP. :(
I have 0.4.8 version and I too can't load the map or any other map size?
It displays a message :"Game Load Failed"
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: High Quality Scenario Templates of the UK

Post by Born Acorn »

MGSteve wrote:They won't load in the current stable version, you'll have to use the TGP version of OpenTTD
ahem.

You could always try an SVN grab of the newest version.
Telekoman
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Telekoman »

nlhans wrote:
If you want to explain it, email me or add me at MSN.
i'd like to know too.. please ps me or show me the links :D
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Maedhros wrote:Which version were these made with exactly? They won't load for me with r5885-TGP. :(
Loading in the intro menu won't work as the scenarios have no towns and you click on the button "Play Scenario".
It should, however, work if you load them in the scenario editor (as I've got r5885 too).
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Rubidium wrote:Loading in the intro menu won't work as the scenarios have no towns and you click on the button "Play Scenario".
It should, however, work if you load them in the scenario editor (as I've got r5885 too).
Ah, that works. Thanks for clearing that one up. :)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Owen Rudge will be unhappy. There's no Orkney, and no "orudge's old house" sign. :P
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, it looks very good apart from that. Stick Orkney on it (Shetland doesn't matter), and I will officially endorse it. ;)
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

orudge wrote:Yes, it looks very good apart from that. Stick Orkney on it (Shetland doesn't matter), and I will officially endorse it. ;)
lol, I'll see what I can do. I was mainly trying to keep it square, you see, hence the unfortuateous chop off the top of scotland.

Sorry about that!
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

It's the wrong way up (for us #openttdcoop types).
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

Brianetta wrote:It's the wrong way up (for us #openttdcoop types).
Wrong way up? Isn't Australia supposed to be upside down?

j/k

Yeah, I realised that when I went to add all the towns on to it, so I swapped it around.

Ok, I've only added the UK Mainland towns, cities and industries so far, I need to do Ireland and the bit of Europe too.

I haven't attempted to play test this, so god knows what it will play like, feel free to have a play!

All towns are correct UK town names, in what should be the approx position (you gotta love Google Earth). Town sizes aren't exactly proportionate, but its a start. And before any non UK residents ask, yes, Saundersfoot, Fishguard, Tongue, Dufftown, Macduff (Scotland), Wigtown and Llantwit Major are all real towns! ;)

Love MacDuff in Scotland, that's a classic. lol! :)

Things like farms tend to be in traditional farming areas (East Anglia and South West), coal mines are in Wales and around the North East etc..

Sort of as realistic as I had the time or inclination to do - but the towns are all real, which is the best thing. Took me around 3 hours of my 1 hour lunch break to do that ;)

Click on the thumbnail for a larger preview.

And it'll be running on my MG Steve #2 Server if you fancy a multiplayer game on it! (You'll need the same build though, which is 5818-TGP
Attachments
UK Complete 1024.scn
As above, scenario with towns and industries in Mainland UK only.
(286.5 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Notable by its absence is Durham. Otherwise, that map is bloody fantastic. Once we have shared rails (pie in the sky? I do hope not), I'll be sticking it on build-while-paused and making the big Network Rail routes, with the major mainline companies running services over that.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

Brianetta wrote:Notable by its absence is Durham. Otherwise, that map is bloody fantastic. Once we have shared rails (pie in the sky? I do hope not), I'll be sticking it on build-while-paused and making the big Network Rail routes, with the major mainline companies running services over that.
There are a few gaps that need filling, I'll try and squeeze Durham in there :)
Telekoman
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Telekoman »

Wow nice job... i'll have a look at it when i'm back home!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I guess Orkney still isn't in it? ;) Ah well, very nice work anyway, pretty impressive stuff!

Return to “General OpenTTD”