Why don't you use Opera?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Why don't you use Opera?

Post by Steve »

Opera (http://www.opera.com/) is an excellent cross-platform browser that has proven itself to be the fastest web browser on the market.* My question, is why you don't use it?

This thread is not for an argument on what is the best browser, but rather, why don't you use Opera? Why do you choose IE, Firefox, Safari, Konqueror and the rest, rather than Opera?

Lets keep this civilised! Thanks.

* See:
http://celtickane.com/projects/jsspeed.php
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

IE does all I need:

Lets me view and use web pages.

I don't see any advantages from using other browsers, expecially when I'm used to IE.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

It doesn`t feel right for me. Just like all the other browsers; i am sticking to IE :)

(And this topics looks like more a Opera advertisment spamtopic imho)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

because I have firefox installed and it does the job

(though on occasions IE and netscape 6 do get used as well...)

however IE is avoided (tabbed browsing is wonderfull, so is security)

and netscape 6 takes ages to start up....
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Why don't you use Opera?

Post by Born Acorn »

Firefox works. Couldn't get used to Opera.

But I stay away from IE, that thing is haunted.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Born Acorn wrote:Firefox works. Couldn't get used to Opera.

But I stay away from IE, that thing is haunted.
Exactly the same reason for me. I tried Maxthon (aka MyIE), Opera and Firefox and naturally started with the dreadful IE. It could well be that Opera is the fastest web browser but I can't get used to the damn program. There are (were?) too much counter-intuitive things in it that drove me nuts. Althoiugh Firefox is said to be slow I find it meets my expectations. So what if a page doesn't load in milliseconds but in seconds :s, it's not my life that depends on it :lol: .
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Can pro-Opera users also voice their opinion here?

I think Opera absolutely rules. It is the best, fastest and most handy browser on this planet. IE, especially the update that came with SP2 of Windows XP made it extremely stupid and annoying, plus that it still vulnerable to any attack. Firefox is so-so, but is slower than Opera and I just can't get used to it. Are there any other browsers worthy of mentioning? Don't think so (I like Konqueror that I can just type in man://strdup, but that's a linux thing).

Opera has an excellent rendering system, is lighting-fast, has instant back/forward (from local cache), top-of-the-notch mouse gestures and can be perfectly used without a mouse.

It is really, really great.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Steve wrote: ... an excellent cross-platform browser ...
You're obviously using some brand new meaning of the word "excellent" that I'm not familiar with. :)

Opera on MacOS is awful. It runs OK but it feels just like all the other apps that were ported but not really made to fit in. Seriously, Mac users don't want another Carbon app that implements its own spell checker (and other stuff already provided by the system) and that feels like it fell out of the Fischer Price paint-scheme world of Windows XP. Why yes, we really are that fussy.

Safari on the other hand actually feels like it belongs and behaves the way a good Mac app should. OmniWeb is my browser of choice though, as of version 5.5 it uses WebKit (the rendering engine used by Safari) and has a lot of nifty features.
Get Skype and call me for free.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well, there i have you, Because when i use Linux, i DO use Opera, so there :P
Only when i use Windows do i use FireFox
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Snammus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Snammus »

I'm just too worried about the Phantom...

I'll get my coat
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

toholio wrote:Opera on MacOS is awful. It runs OK but it feels just like all the other apps that were ported but not really made to fit in. Seriously, Mac users don't want another Carbon app that implements its own spell checker (and other stuff already provided by the system) and that feels like it fell out of the Fischer Price paint-scheme world of Windows XP. Why yes, we really are that fussy.
Not all of us :mrgreen:

I like Opera on the Mac because it's exactly the same as on all my other computers and I don't have readjust my behaviour (which key shortcuts do what, mouse gestures, etc.) depending on which computer I'm on. Also, Safari is really slow compared to Opera.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I use Opera, I find it very usefull. It is very customizable, fast, easy to use and most W3C compliant :). And ofcourse it got dozens of features which other browsers don't have, like mouse gestures and voice control. And I like the tabbing A LOT, sure FF has tabbing, but it doesnt work as easy as Opera's tabbing does.

The only downside on Opera is that some hotkeys where changed when I upgraded from 8.54 (IIRC) to 9 Beta. Appart from that it is very usefull.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

XeryusTC wrote:The only downside on Opera is that some hotkeys where changed when I upgraded from 8.54 (IIRC) to 9 Beta. Appart from that it is very usefull.
All hotkeys are customizable, so that shouldn't be a problem... Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Shortcuts->Keyboard->Edit.
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Patchman wrote:Not all of us :mrgreen:
Your ideas of comfort don't count. You code in assembly for goodness' sake. :P
Get Skype and call me for free.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

XeryusTC wrote:And I like the tabbing A LOT, sure FF has tabbing, but it doesnt work as easy as Opera's tabbing does.
Explain me the differences betweent he Opera tabbing and FF tabbing :?

Anyway, I am a firefox user, never got really used to Opera. FF Does the job on everything I want. It has all the plugins that I need. (Adblock, IETab, and esp. Web developer plugin)

And most extra features in Opera, like mousegestures, I don't even use. Don't use it in FF, so why would I want it to come standard with a browser if I don't want it? :-o If I want to use it, i'll download a plugin. I Don't want to download something I don't use... (If possible, (e.g. windows and IE ;) ))

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Using IE 6 and Firefox 5.
Cannot tell the difference between browsers, get the impression that some of them are bloatware.

Incidently i am getting this error in Firefox when clicking on links:
Attachments
FireFox Error.png
(84.23 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Snammus wrote:I'm just too worried about the Phantom...

I'll get my coat
You do that...

I use IE simply because it doesn't mean I have to do any work on my own part like download or install it.

IEs there when I start. Yeah I have FF, but I use it on the 7th of Never.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

I don't need fancy internet options, just a way to look at web pages.
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Opera is nice, but I'm going to avoid anything QT based whenever possible under Linux.

I'll stick with Epiphany, thanks.

My question is though, why must we cram our software choices down everyone else's throats? Is it simply not enough that we use program x because that's what we like to use? Must we justify ourselves in every possible way? I mean, sure, letting people know that their is an alternative is all fine and dandy, but people seem to get really agitated in these sort of discussions.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Aegir wrote:My question is though, why must we cram our software choices down everyone else's throats?
Because Holy Wars are a time-honoured tradition of the net and our lives will be hollow and empty if we stop.
Josef Drexler

Return to “Off-Topic”