Why don't you use Opera?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Steve wrote:I realised something today, how the people who use IE are actually degrading the internet.
You realise this now? Little late. ;-)
Really it's microsofts doing. It's not like with all of those PHD's and highly paid programmers they couldn't create a decent, standards compliant browser if they didn't want to. So we have to conclude they don't want to be standards complaint.
It's really that simple.

They're using IE to control the Internet, or development thereof.
If Microsoft have a disagreement with a certain technology they simply delay implementing it. If they want to push their own technology (i.e. ActiveX) then they add it to IE and make it a "de-facto standard".

So yes, you're right, people should stop using IE if they can. We want an internet that works across platforms.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Steve wrote:I realised something today, how the people who use IE are actually degrading the internet.
So true. In fact, intirely true. IE holds back all that is good. Don't even get me started on those who still use IE when they know how bad it is.
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Don't forget that no matter how bad IE is, it has a very important function...

...when your OS is freshly installed, you can use it to download a decent browser! :P
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Just so we know, the following people said they use IE:
2-10-0
Illegal_Alien
Dave Worley
train-a-mania
spaceman-spiff
I'm sure more do and have failed to admit it!

I'm not sure how this turned into an IE bash and it's quite sad as noone can really defend it. Is IE7 actually better and should we make sure this is an IE6 bash?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Patchman wrote:But it's certainly not reliable enough to use it regularly, especially not after writing a long post. You'd have to copy the text to the clipboard to be sure. In Opera it has yet to fail me no matter how far I went back in the history.
Funny, you should say that. Yesterday, some time after making that post, I was on another site. Wrote out a message, clicked send, then forgot I hadn't ticked a box. Went back, the message was gone. :( (It did send it, but didn't save it in my sent items).

Ah well, at the moment I still have no real desire to change browser. I may try Opera sometime again, though, we'll see.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Csaboka wrote:...when your OS is freshly installed, you can use it to download a decent browser! :P
I always keep some vital files around for fresh installs, those includes drivers and usefull applications, of which one is Opera :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
President
President

Post by WWW »

me being with crappy AOL, I use that, 2 reasons really...

easier acsess to my e-mail
It has to be open for the internet anyway
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Not true. I have AOsmell, but I haven't used the AOL browsing software. EVER. Just Firefox and Thunderbird.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I'm happy with Firefox, but recently I've got a problem when opening two Firefoxes. I know what are tabs for, but sometimes I have something like TT-Forums.net opened in 30 tabs in one Firefox, and I need to open something else, in the other window. The problem is, everything I type in the other window goes to find box. I just can't use any text boxes on the website because all key input goes to the find box.

However, I'm not in mood to switch to Opera, because:
There is a wonderful Stumble Upon extension in FF. Don't know about Opera
I'm using Thunderbird, too
I don't want Opera with its IRC client and e-mail client. I just want a browser.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

MeusH wrote:I don't want Opera with its IRC client and e-mail client. I just want a browser.
You can easily disable all other features, I only use Opera for browsing and webmailing, it doesn't do anything else for me.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
President
President

Post by WWW »

and firefox seems to take an age to load...
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

wearesinking wrote:and firefox seems to take an age to load...

I got that problem with Opera...

Yes, even I have installed Opera now. Just for website testing purposes :)
To see if my sites work in Opera too :)

as I was working on this site:
http://purmerforum.nl/test.html
Notice, it won't be a whole site, just a JS plugin for an other site.

And those using Opera said it loaded very slow. So I installed Opera to see, and yes... it loads SLOOOWW. The images that is.... Where FF loads them up within 1second, Opera takes 3-4secs to load :shock:

So, the nullifies those comments that Opera is *faster* then FF.... :)

Oh and IE loads the images EVEN SLOWER the Opera -__-

O m g...

I just noticed, Opera loaded all my FF bookmarks..... I didn't told it to do so. ffs.....

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

if it's just that one plugin that i won't use in mmy lifetime it doesn't mean Opera is slower....
And i guess you just went next next next while installing opera so it imported bookmarks since it ALWAYS asks me if i want to import that stuff...
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Killer 11 wrote:if it's just that one plugin that i won't use in mmy lifetime it doesn't mean Opera is slower....
And i guess you just went next next next while installing opera so it imported bookmarks since it ALWAYS asks me if i want to import that stuff...
Nopes, didn't ask me.... I selected *manual isntall thingy.. (the one that allows me to choose stuff...)

Oh, and with a plugin, I mean just a little feature on a website ;) not a FF/Opera Extension/Widget/plugin thing.....

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Shocking some of the recent posts. Lets clear some stuff up:
MeusH wrote:I'm happy with Firefox, but recently I've got a problem when opening two Firefoxes. I know what are tabs for, but sometimes I have something like TT-Forums.net opened in 30 tabs in one Firefox, and I need to open something else, in the other window. The problem is, everything I type in the other window goes to find box. I just can't use any text boxes on the website because all key input goes to the find box.

However, I'm not in mood to switch to Opera, because:
There is a wonderful Stumble Upon extension in FF. Don't know about Opera
I'm using Thunderbird, too
I don't want Opera with its IRC client and e-mail client. I just want a browser.
1) I use Thunderbird. What's your point? I don't see any integration between them really.
2) The IRC and e-mail clients don't exist if you don't use them. They take up 1 single entry in the Tools menu, that's it.
Daan Timmer wrote:as I was working on this site:
http://purmerforum.nl/test.html
Notice, it won't be a whole site, just a JS plugin for an other site.

And those using Opera said it loaded very slow. So I installed Opera to see, and yes... it loads SLOOOWW. The images that is.... Where FF loads them up within 1second, Opera takes 3-4secs to load :shock:

So, the nullifies those comments that Opera is *faster* then FF.... :)

I just noticed, Opera loaded all my FF bookmarks..... I didn't told it to do so. ffs.....
3) Whilst for normal web use Opera is marginally better, it completely demolishes competition with JavaScript, you can test it for yourself.
http://celtickane.com/projects/jsspeed.php
Run it a few times, I got 625ms with Opera, nearly 1700ms in Firefox.

4) It got your bookmarks, so what? You're complainng it was helpful? You're not even using the browser, so you don't need them. And if you were, you have everything you need to switch. (Everyone should also note the range of Import and Export options Opera has).

Sorry, I understand people have preferences, but those complaints are just not valid!
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

Steve wrote:3) Whilst for normal web use Opera is marginally better, it completely demolishes competition with JavaScript, you can test it for yourself.
Careful how you bandy about things like "completely demolishes competition". I just ran that test a few (as in three) times using OmniWeb 5.5b3, Safari 2.0.4 and Opera 9.01 and the results most definitely don't come out in Opera's favour.

387ms avg. for OmniWeb
443ms avg. for Safari
637ms avg. for Opera

I'm at a loss to explain why OmniWeb should fare so much better than Safari, they both use JSCore (OmniWeb may be using a more recent build though).
Get Skype and call me for free.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Sorry, I can only test Windows browsers right now, so that's what I'm judging it on.
Eww Macs! :D
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Daan Timmer wrote:And those using Opera said it loaded very slow. So I installed Opera to see, and yes... it loads SLOOOWW. The images that is.... Where FF loads them up within 1second, Opera takes 3-4secs to load :shock:
Are you sure that you haven't got some reload setting higher then 1 second? (Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Browsing). That could make things just a bit slower then usually.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Steve wrote:Shocking some of the recent posts. Lets clear some stuff up:
3) Whilst for normal web use Opera is marginally better, it completely demolishes competition with JavaScript, you can test it for yourself.

4) It got your bookmarks, so what? You're complainng it was helpful? You're not even using the browser, so you don't need them. And if you were, you have everything you need to switch. (Everyone should also note the range of Import and Export options Opera has).

Sorry, I understand people have preferences, but those complaints are just not valid!
A: 3)
I wasn't talking about the javascript.... I was talking about the Image Loading...
A: 4)
It might be only a few bits and bytes, however. It now has put more rubbish on my harddisk, which I dislike.

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Daan Timmer wrote:A: 4)
It might be only a few bits and bytes, however. It now has put more rubbish on my harddisk, which I dislike.
All your bookmarks are in ONE file, bookmarks.dat, which exists even if you have no bookmarks at all. So there is no rubbish.

It is simple: Opera is the superiour browser, and software of choice for managment, IT and hot babes! Ha, beat that 8)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

Return to “Off-Topic”