Road vehicles

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Road vehicles

Post by jgf »

One complaint I've always had with TTDx and with OpenTTD is the lack of new road vehicles offered over the years. You'll get new trains and aircraft frequently, while still running forty year old trucks and busses. For this reason I seldom use road vehicles, except for the occasional bus to help keep ratings up in inner city train stations. Could a future release of OpenTTD address this issue?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

The current release addresses this issue. Simply load in a new set of trucks. Add-ons of this nature are known as newgrfs, and a quick search will find many of them.

Articulated road vehicles might not work with openttd yet (the format is shared with TTDPatch) but most other sets will work fine.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

I'm still running V4.5, though have downloaded the newer version.

I'm leary of many new grfs as I've had unexpected results when using some. For example, one which added several new locomotives to the temperate climate apparently did so at the expense of the player not having any locomotives at all in the other climates; others require me to track down numerous other mods in before installing them; some have too many caveats in the docs.

So, with that in mind, could you recommend some mods which will add new vehicles?
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

George's Long Road Vehicles v2 and v3 will load in OTTD versions 0.4.5 to 0.4.8 RC2 but are not very usable as road vehicle refitting isn't supported. The long busses work ok though.

Road vehicle refitting was added to the trunk at r5191. This makes long vehicles v2 or v3 usable with recent nightly builds. Beware of a small bug though, vehicles aren't always refitted correctly when they’re cloned.

For the best available support for long vehicles in OTTD use the MiniIN. This has the above bug fixed plus support for cargo subtypes (used by LV v3). It also shows the available refit options in the purchase list, making selecting of a suitable vehicle much easier.

More recent versions of long vehicles (v3¾ and v4) aren't supported by any version of OTTD.

Long vehicles v2 and v3 are available here.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Thanks for the info; I've d/l'd your recommendations, will try them on a clean OTTD install tonight. I take it I can use V3 OR V4 of the long road vehicles but both are redundant?
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Well, it's v2 OR v3 that work in OTTD. v3 supersedes v2 so I don't think they would work together.

Note that what I said above, regarding road vehicle refitting not being supported, also applies to OTTD 0.4.8, released today. You still need to use the nightly build or MiniIN if you want to transport the full range of cargo types.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Have installed OTTD V4.7 and the long road vehicles V3; have just d/l'd the MiniIN. Does this latest MiniIN directly support the planeset? Reading through several linked threads I'll admit to being a bit confused; some state other patches are necessary, some say the patches are already in the MiniIN. (Thankfully OTTD doesn't require too much HD real estate; I have four V4.5 installs, one earlier install, and a TTDxW with the patch. If a new patch screws up something it's in a new install so no problem to delete and still have my working games.)
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Yes, the MiniIN does directly support Planeset. The necessary patches are all included.
NCarlson
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NCarlson »

Of course as far as Newgrfs are concerned the easiest thing is just to try them and see, worst you can do is mess up a save.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

mart3p wrote:Yes, the MiniIN does directly support Planeset. The necessary patches are all included.
I can't get OTTD to recognize the planeset. I put the grf in the data file and added it to a [ newgrf ] section in the cfg, but when I try starting the game it pops up a message that it can't find planesetw_456 and refuses to start. Tried putting the grf in a "newgrf" directory - same response. Tried adding the path to the cfg - same response. Removed the newgrf reference in the cfg and the game runs fine (after it squawks about the options line in the cfg). In game I went to the newgrf menu which told me none were installed. What am I doing wrong?

This is in a fresh install of V4.7 with the MiniIn installed, so no other mods or patches to interfere.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Well I was just bored this evening and made a "Original TT style Road Vehicle graphics."

As you get the MKII superbus in 2008 no new busses will come after that, I drew graphics for the generation after 2008. The next road vehicles will be hovering vehicles. :) If someone want's to code that, we have ourself more trucks and vans to enjoy. :wink: :P
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

jgf wrote:I can't get OTTD to recognize the planeset. I put the grf in the data file and added it to a [ newgrf ] section in the cfg, but when I try starting the game it pops up a message that it can't find planesetw_456
Well, if you're looking for the 459 remix, it might help to type the correct last character. It might also help to append ".grf", as the filename ends in ".grf".

If you're trying to load 1.5.2, then the filename is PlaneSetw.grf.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

DaleStan wrote:
jgf wrote:I can't get OTTD to recognize the planeset. I put the grf in the data file and added it to a [ newgrf ] section in the cfg, but when I try starting the game it pops up a message that it can't find planesetw_456
Well, if you're looking for the 459 remix, it might help to type the correct last character. It might also help to append ".grf", as the filename ends in ".grf".

If you're trying to load 1.5.2, then the filename is PlaneSetw.grf.
Yes, it is the remix I have, but was typoing from memory. Tried adding the extension in the cfg but apparently made no difference (compared with other OTTD installs with working grfs and they had no extensions, just the name).
name101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by name101 »

what i do is rename the file and make it a name that is easy to remember and i havent had a problem with that..
-name
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The only problem I see with that is that it means that you're now using non-standard filenames, and so asking for help with PS15.grf will generally be met with "What on earth are you talking about?"-type responses.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Don't know what my original problem was but I deleted the cfg file so OTTD would rebuild it, then added the grfs again and now it's working.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”