Hydroplanes

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ewger
Engineer
Engineer

Hydroplanes

Post by ewger »

I really like the idea to make new type of vehicle available in the game. This could seriously improve the gameplay. But I not sure so much...

Shortly, hydroplanes were the first possible transport interconnection method over the Atlantic, and the whole world. The secret of their popularity is rather simple - their don't need any ready infrastructure, they can land anywhere the water is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaplane

Hydroplanes (sometimes also named seaplanes) act as a mixed vehicle type - a plane and a ship. I think the same can be implemented in OpenTTD.

Seaplanes were very popular in 1930-s 1950-s. After the second world war they stopped to play the role of the ultimate transport mean.

So what you think?

At first, of course, the new appropriate graphics should be created..

Seaplanes can use water docks as departing stations and fly across the land.
Last edited by ewger on 13 Mar 2007 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
world is a small place for all of us.
//wbr
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Awesome Ideas, but i believe there are a few Hydroplanes that can land on surface too?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

I seem to remember a discussion on this... would it not be very difficult to code though? And how would NewGRF handle it?
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
latinoloco
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by latinoloco »

the thing is, it wouldnt be able to carry many ppl, much like a helicopter. the only use i could find for needing something low cargo amount that would be worth the transport would be jewlery/gold/coin.. but im not sure about banks/mines being in the middle of the sea....
MEMBER 6772
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

gamezguy wrote:And how would NewGRF handle it?
However it pleased.

A plane with an extra bit saying "can also land on water" seems like the most likely response, but I'm sure other's are also possible.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

yea this topic was descussed before. but the topic went, well, dead. until i posted on it again after a few months. everyone got back into it, but again in a week or so it wen dead. i dont remember why but im sure it is possible
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Everything is possible, you jut need someone dediated enough to waste a part of there life on it.

Quote = Hyronymous
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Samie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Samie »

Yeh, I saw this topic discussed a couple of months a go. Graphics was done to see how it would look but no one could decide how the planes would land and whether there would be a runway lined with bouys or not.

It looked great, but dont know how useful hydro planes would be, early on might be better than ships but once the hovercraft comes they would be redundent.

Samie
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Look here!. This was discussed in much much detail. It was only on page four. (can't you people search?)

I believe the best way to accomplish this would be to create new airport designs buildable on water, and flag it for Seaplanes only. (like only helicopters land on heliports)
ewger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ewger »

I'd like to thank everyone for discussion. I think I will try to join the development and to make some feature patches first.

I have some questions about graphics drawing, I think I'll start from simple examples or use existing planes temporary.

Seaplanes can be created in special plane shipyards or seaports like
http://www.tt-forums.net/files/seaport.gif

and some of then can use normal airports (amphibian case) and all of them could use a simple dock.
This was discussed in much much detail. It was only on page four. (can't you people search?)
Sorry, I have not searched for "seaplane", but only for "hydroplane" (language skill problems :( )

PS

Of course, patch would be only then a successful addition to the game, when it will be gently intergrated into the economic model. But there is no way in TTD to apply luxury to the payment scheme.

Seaplanes were a luxury transport, so they should be in the game. Else they will run at a lose. TTD economic model is cargo payment oriented with two parametrs - range and time.

I think it's too primitive and can be expanded to contain demand\supply. Cargo can be bought and sold not on fixed economy parametrs, but depending on demand on it. Demand function can also be modeled depending on citizens quantity and cosumation levels by population.

Personaly I like Port Royal 2 economic demand\supply model. Maybe some day something like this could be intoduced into the OpenTTD. But this changes are too complicated and tremendeous.

These ideas are only talks and plans.. :roll:
//wbr
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Captain_Kirk76 wrote:Everything is possible, you jut need someone dediated enough to waste a part of there life on it.

Quote = Hyronymous
I don't think Hyronymous would make quite that many typos and grammar errors though ;)
seifip
Engineer
Engineer

Post by seifip »

Great idea... It would be nice to have airports on water... It is very useful in later parts of the game when you havent enough place to build an airport... The you coulda build it on water near the city... :) The could also cary more passengers > be better than ships when they arrive...
design is like a puzzle... I`m just trying to solve it now
Johnny B Goode
Director
Director

Re: Hydroplanes

Post by Johnny B Goode »

ewger wrote:I really like the idea to make new type of vehicle available in the game. This could seriously improve the gameplay. But I not sure so much...

Shortly, hydroplanes were the first possible transport interconnection method over the Atlantic, and the whole world. The secret of their popularity is rather simple - their don't need any ready infrastructure, they can land anywhere the water is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaplane

Hydroplanes (sometimes also named seaplanes) act as a mixed vehicle type - a plane and a ship. I think the same can be implemented in OpenTTD.

Seaplanes were very popular in 1930-s 1950-s. After the second world war they stopped to play the role of the ultimate transport mean.

So what you think?

At first, of course, the new appropriate graphics should be created..

Seaplanes can use water docks as departing stations and fly across the land.
Yeah. And flying boats.
zedd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zedd »

Who said seaplanes needed to be small? Some of the biggest commercial air planes of that era where seaplanes like the Clipper.

Specifications:
Boeing 314A Yankee Clipper
Dimensions:
Wing span: 152 ft 0 in (46.33 m)
Length: 106 ft 0 in (32.31 m)
Height: 27 ft 7 in (8.41 m)
Wing Area: 2,867 sq ft (266.34 sq m)
Weights:
Empty: 50,268 lb (22,801 kg)
Gross T/O: 82,500 lb (37,422 kg)
Performance:
Maximum Level Speed: 199 mph (320 km/h)
Cruising Speed: 183 mph (294 km/h)
Service Ceiling: 13,400 ft (4,085 m)
Normal Range: 3,500 miles (5,633 km)
Powerplant:
Four Wright GR-2600 Twin Cyclone, 1,600 hp (1,192 kw),
14 cylinder, air-cooled, radial engines.

and there where quite a few other transoceanic flying boats.
Attachments
314-2.jpg
314-2.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
ewger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ewger »

It would be great to create TranPortPedia on wiki engine with all possible types of vehicles that were ever designed. Something a like a history book or database ;-)
//wbr

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”