Guess the British station

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Guess the British station

Post by Ameecher »

Correct.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

That clue was a bit too easy!
Right, here's a challenging one hopefully. Bit different in a way.

Starting Clue: This station previously interchanged with another station.
One of them is now closed.

Changed_here_for_.jpg
Changed_here_for_.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Gobowen (for Oswestry)?
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Afraid not. Need to look further south =)
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Geo Ghost wrote:Afraid not. Need to look further south =)
Templecombe?
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Too far south and too far west now.

Some clues for you all.

This station previously had an interchange with another station.
However, one of them, has since closed.

In relation to the above, the existing station's name has changed at some point in the past.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Geo Ghost wrote:Too far south and too far west now.

Some clues for you all.

This station previously had an interchange with another station.
However, one of them, has since closed.

In relation to the above, the existing station's name has changed at some point in the past.
I'm not sure I follow... do you mean there used to be another station nearby which was a valid out of station interchange, or that this station was once split-level à la Templecombe? Given that, is the photo of the station/part of the station a part that's still open?

Anyway given that it isn't Templecombe, could it be the low-level platforms at Dudley Port perhaps?
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

61653 wrote: I'm not sure I follow... do you mean there used to be another station nearby which was a valid out of station interchange..... Given that, is the photo of the station/part of the station a part that's still open?
Correct!
To clarify what I mean by interchange. In this case, two stations with different names next to, or within very close proximity to one another.
As for whether the station in the provided one is the one that remained open or shut.. I won't give that one away just yet.

Apologies. Trying to think of some more challenging clues rather than "Closer to so and so." "It's on the xyz line".

- This station previously had an interchange at another station. However, one of them has since closed.
- The name of the existing station had a name change in the past.
- Although they were two different named stations and lines, they did join up just beyond the station to a route that is heavily used today.
- In relation to previous guesses... Templecomb is too far west, and Gobowen / Dudley Port are too far north. To narrow it down, we're looking in the South-East / London Region of the UK.

I'll give some bonus points to anyone who digs up some trivia about the place too ;)
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

If the two stations had different names, then surely ONLY a photo of the surviving part would be valid under the rules of the game? Closed stations being banned of course.
Formerly known as 47434
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

61653 wrote:If the two stations had different names, then surely ONLY a photo of the surviving part would be valid under the rules of the game? Closed stations being banned of course.
I'd appreciate it if you could kindly link to me where where it says specifically about closed stations or even abandoned stations being a rule. Because I do not see it in the actual rules.
As far as I'm concerned and decipher, 'Closed Stations' and Abandoned Stations were questioned a couple of times in 2011, but it's never been a rule. The only person who said it was a rule seems to be yourself, which doesn't make it official in my eyes.
Griff wrote:Rules

1) You can only post a picture of a station if you guess the previous station correctly or if somebody passes their turn to you.
2) The station must be within the UK (that's England, Scotland, Wales and NI)
3) The station must not be a) a preserved line station or b) London Underground/Glasgow Underground, Tyne and Wear etc.
4) But (in reference to point 3) you are allowed if the station has an interchange with a railway station
5) Obviously, the name of the station shouldn't be within the actual picture or the filename.
----------------------
In my view, Closed Stations are allowed, so long as something is mentioned about it being shut or changed perhaps.

But like I said before. It has a connection to an existing station and line, as well as an interesting bit of history I found. I thought that it might be a bit of fun for those who perhaps like to work out where the station is through some reading and such.
Sorry for trying to do something a bit different for a change... :roll:
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Quite right, my mistake - I'd always interpreted the rule about no preserved stations (unless interchange) to mean that stations which were closed were also not permitted. The rules actually don't specify this, as you say. Also, I'm sorry if my last post came across as snide, this wasn't my intention.
Formerly known as 47434
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

No worries. My apologies too if what I said was a tad aggressive. Wasn't quite expecting that response.

How are the clues though everyone? Are they challenging enough, or a bit too difficult?
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

To save the thread from dormancy I'll have a guess at Crystal Palace even though I don't think it's right...
Formerly known as 47434
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Strangely enough, you're not too far off with the name.
Tis indeed in London though.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well, my attempt to just wikipedia a list of closed stations in London is indeed, as predicated, a rather long scroll so long that an owl would have a rather serious heart attack trying to deliver it and thats not including ex LUL ones, and thats before you include closed LUL, DLR or Tramlink stations (which more than likely this isn't anyway). So trying to identify closed stations and matching them proximity wise to current stations is, safe to say. A far too long and tedious job for me :p

Seems to be one of the most difficult i've come across :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Well, no sense in making it too easy ;) haha.

Would another clue be handy, or are you happy to go with what I've thrown out there so far? :P
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Geo Ghost wrote:Strangely enough, you're not too far off with the name.
Alexandra Palace then? The closed interchange being Palace Gates or whatever it was called on the abandoned Northern Heights scheme...
Formerly known as 47434
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

61653 wrote:
Alexandra Palace then? The closed interchange being Palace Gates or whatever it was called on the abandoned Northern Heights scheme...

God damn. You are literally so close, but the wrong station name.
Not Ally Pally, but it's right there :P
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Geo Ghost wrote:
61653 wrote:

God damn. You are literally so close, but the wrong station name.
Not Ally Pally, but it's right there :P
Would it perhaps be the aforementioned Palace Gates (Wood Green) then, to give it the proper name?

If so, I'm going to have to rustle up a pic from somewhere!
Formerly known as 47434
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Aye, Palace Gates it is!

However, Palace Gates wasn't named Wood Green.
Wood Green and Palace Gates were the two stations. The old Alexandra Palace was up on the hill :)
Only years later, was Wood Green renamed to Alexandra Palace.

Bit of trivia for you too. The line coming out of the station, connecting to the Hertford Line, is still there and used. It's now sidings for Bounds Green depot :)

Return to “Forum Games”