2d / 3d ??

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Decide which graphics you want

2D (isometric)
58%
3D
43%

Total votes: 40

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

for 2d you only create sprited then ...put them into the game ..
in 3d you create objects and put graphic at objects, then put objects (with graphics) into the game
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

With a 2D isometric engine, you basically just blit pre-rendered sprites to the screen. With 3D, the sprites are 'rendered' (maybe that's not quite the right word here) into a 3D environment, and it's not just drawing on the screen. I'm not particularly an expert in 3D programming (in fact, I'm a complete newbie at it!).
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

So what is the big advantage of fixed 3D over isometric 2D? Fixed 3D sounds only more work (both programming and for the PC, so slower) to me.
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

"isometric 3D"

- looks better
- no problems with zooming
- no problems with animation of vehicles
- no problems with depth sorting
- no problems with rotating the world in every angle and sneak into streets/canyons which are otherwise not accessible
- no dealing with tile pixel sizes

enabling of free camera as a cheat possible : wink :
- allows player to ride vehicles or to walk through his world

Enough arguments?

Peter
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Hm yeah, sounds convincing to a newbie like me. I hope most people here can program that.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:"isometric 3D"
Enough arguments?
Peter
So maybe some disadvantages ... :roll: ... IT requipments willbe 3 Ghz and 1Gz Ram, :roll: ... the idea with 2D is easy, fast and will not require so much CPU/RAM to work properly
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Peter Dobrovka wrote:- looks better
Maybe it's just my experience of 3D games (I don't have a super-flashy video card - although I hope I'll be getting a GeForce 4 soon! :) ), but I always find that 3D games often look very 'polygonised'. I haven't played all that many newer 3D games though.
Peter Dobrovka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peter Dobrovka »

Oh, the polygonized look is because you can zoom too close to the objects.

I had this debate very often when I tried to sell my ideas: People compare the pixels of an isometric view with the polygons of a close-up. But that comparison is not fair. Look here, here I have a comparing pic I have done a long time ago:

I tried to compare the detail of 3DTT with TT when viewed at about the same angle and distance. I didn´t have much time, so the pic is not as convincing as it could be, but I think you catch the idea.

Peter
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

I vote for 2D. I like it how it is. :mrgreen:
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

btw. Where can I download 3DTT ??? I can't find it anywhere ... maybe some direct links ??
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:btw. Where can I download 3DTT ??? I can't find it anywhere ... maybe some direct links ??
Whoa! I didn't know there was a 3dTT!

Thats mind blowing
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Jan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Jan »

In this topic we talk about 3DTT: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=1625
And in the same section is other topic about similar games in regards to TTD.
As many of you never tried 3DTT/ T&TT (Trains and Trucks Tycoon), I'm suprised with the decision 2D or 3D. Get the demo and see for yourself, what Peter is talking about. I do play TTD and T&TT. You know what? I think the 3DTT is way better, even with the missing features. When you imagine what futher development can bring into Peter's game, you will be hooked too. And one more think. Today, is no point to start develop isometric game. With all the power of new CPUs and graphics card coming to the marked? You will get just little improved version of TTD, maybe better AI etc. Josef, with Marcin and others is already doing that. And adding new graphics to the game is already solved too! Why do you want exactly the same game? Simutrans is going that direction, the guy, who did it in Python did the same and many more started and never finished. 3D will give you unlimited possibilities, futher expansion, changeable buildings and lot more. As I set before, if we implement the gmax (or 3DMax) graphics to the engine, you got tons of finished graphics on the web. With some little conversion program you can have whole sets from every country, made for MSTS, or to able to use all Trainz engines, cargo, buidings, signals etc. Do you know the Disney monorail? Whole set for Trainz exist. I'm not sugesting to rip of anybody, but if the community will like the game, they will join and do a lot of work just for fun. Visit any of the mentioned program sites and see what is there.
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

I kinda liked the 3d graphics on RRT2, they were pretty nice. But even so I'm going for 2d, becuase it'll run smoother, less loading.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:
Peter Dobrovka wrote:"isometric 3D"
Enough arguments?
Peter
So maybe some disadvantages ... :roll: ... IT requipments willbe 3 Ghz and 1Gz Ram, :roll: ... the idea with 2D is easy, fast and will not require so much CPU/RAM to work properly
2D isn't neccesarily fast. See Reins first experiments with a 2D engine.

Nowadays the 3D graphics cards are blazingly fast, and they get even faster with every generation. I think if speed is your only concern you should rather choose 3D because of the power of the graphics boards.

c.u.
Hajo
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

I'm willing the wait for 3D I think. It would be much better that way I think.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

TT2 with 3D will not be TT .... :cry:

btw. I still can't download 3DTT (where it is)
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:TT2 with 3D will not be TT .... :cry:

I don't mean like that. It looks more or less the same as TTD but you could spin it round. Like RCT maybe. That would be ace.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I don't know how you but I only want TTD without limits and with full user-configuration
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I think i change my vote to 3d, as long as it doesn't get too hard for the programmers :)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:TT2 with 3D will not be TT .... :cry:

AFAIK current betas are only available to beta testers. There are no public downlods AFAIK. Peter makes a big secret of the progress.

c.u.
Hajo

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”