Possible bug

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Vaahtera
Engineer
Engineer

Possible bug

Post by Vaahtera »

Hi

I think I found a big problem that need some solving. So if you are using multiple stations to deliver your cargo so that it chances train etc. you would of course assume that you get the payment from the whole trip.

I made save where you can see what happends in two different routes that are about same leght. The other goes true same kind of source and the other just makes a stop and continues.

In the route that goes true same kind of source in this case fruit does not get payed as much as the other route. So actually you get only payed from the last trip. I don't think it's ment to be like that.

I'm sorry about my bad english, thought hope you can figure out what I mean. See the savegame file for more detail.
Attachments
problem.sav
Save file for checking
(30.48 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Correct me if I'm wrong, payment isn't based on the lenght of the trip, it is based on the distance between the pickup point (or industry tile) to the dropoff point (or industry tile/town building).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Firstly, if you're going to post a save game, atleast post what version its using and any grfs. And if you're going to create a new game to show something, do it on an unmodified version (0.4.7 without grfs, for example). In short, I cant look at the example because it wont load.

As to the problem, yes its a known issue that using transfer/feeder services, you only get paid for the last step. Thats because theres no code (currently) for keeping track of the source of individual pieces of cargo, just for the whole vehicle load, which changes when its pickup up from each station.

Specific cargo source/destiations is 'planned', but I have no idea how far along it is, or if its waiting for other changes to happen first.
Vaahtera
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vaahtera »

XeryusTC wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, payment isn't based on the lenght of the trip, it is based on the distance between the pickup point (or industry tile) to the dropoff point (or industry tile/town building).
I don't think your wrong. But this is not the problem I'm trying to make public.

The problem is that on-route good don't get payed for the full trip if they travel true station that is near the same kind of goods. In these cases on-route status just disapers.

I notided this when I was moving wood from forrest to another (to minimize the number of trains) and I only got payed for the last trip. You can see the amuot in transfer because it's shown in screen. In this case it was 200 000 but I was only payed 40 000 when it reached saw. So I was losing like half million per train.

You can easily do the same kind of test enviroment. Put two for ex. coal mines in line and take the coal from the first to second. The to power station. The longer the distance between coal mines the more money is lost.

Savegame is from nightbuild dated 19.4.2006
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

There is a problem. I had a station near a city to take goods. It didn't accept goods (the plan was to let the city grow around it) so I told the trains to unload (using simple, traditional unload order) and used a couple of lorries to take the unloaded goods to the city centre.

Those lorries made under thousand per trip. The trains arrived at the station and I was informed of a "transfer" value of 27 000. This was money I could have done with, but which I never saw. It wasn't until the city grew sufficiently that the station accepted goods in its own right, that I began to see the income from those trains realised.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
adsci
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adsci »

this sounds relatively easy to fix (but i dont know since i looked a couple of hours at 0.4.1' sources once and dont remember much ;-D)

if any good is identified by a constant in the code it should be possible to extend this by a from-id. goods are only added together if this id is the same. otherwise it would stay 2 different goods even if they are the same good.

im pretty sure this is already this way. every good needs this "from-id" and every good needs to be indentified in some way.

the only problem should be the mechanics in the stations. it seems like they cant hold 2 packages of goods which are of the same type but other origin.

whaaa. maybe i should stop guessing but take a look@the.code ;-)
Vorn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vorn »

The problem is that OTTD has no notion of the actual origin of cargo; to do so would require that cargo be stored as small items ("packets"), instead of just a single pile.

They're working on it.

Vorn

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”