Sizes: 12,5x12,5 per tile???

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Sizes: 12,5x12,5 per tile???

Post by Aracirion »

In Artists Information (new and Experienced artists alike) Alltaken writes:
Each tile in OTTD will be
2x2 Blender units
12.5x12.5 meters equivalent (for modeling to realistic scales)
I remember having read 25x25 meters per tile earlier, and I used 25x25 for my models, and to me it looks as if the other people also used 25x25 (look here).

12.5x12.5 seems quite small, considering that a whole airplane will have to fit into one tile.

Is 12.5x12.5 definitely the new size?? do we have to remodel?
jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Sizes: 12,5x12,5 per tile???

Post by jungle »

Aracirion wrote:12.5x12.5 seems quite small, considering that a whole airplane will have to fit into one tile.

Is 12.5x12.5 definitely the new size?? do we have to remodel?
I believe it's simply that one "old" tile size has been subdivided into four to allow extra flexibility with track layouts and landscape and so on.

And unless I'm much mistaken a plane in the new graphics system could take up as many tiles as it wants (within reason) - 25x25m would be too small for jumbo jets too...
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

yes, all we did was split the tiles into 4. just zoomed in one level.

25x25meters = 2x2 12.5x12.5 meter tiles. so no you don't need to remodel, you just need to scale it.

12.5x12.5 meters is actually fairly large in real life. it is a full width road with thin footpaths.

the decision was made because we wanted to put 2 train tracks on a single tile.... but if we were to virtually divide tiles like that, we may as well just cut the tiles up into 1/4's anyway.

Alltaken
mauddib
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauddib »

Yes, one lane is normally around 3.25m wide (for highways), without any markings. So a normal road would be around 6,75m including marking. If you want to have footpaths as well, you'd get at around 9,75m.

The actual width of lanes depend on the kind of traffic and the maximum speed (eg. highways have wider lanes than local roads).
Hi, I'm a signature virus! Please set me as your signature to help me spread! :)
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

are the new graphics going to be on scale to each other then? the trains on same scale to buildings for example? scyscrapers would be sooo high!!!

and how many pixels to a square? alll these buildings look very nice but once u pixelate them to openTT levels they will lose much...

EDIT: i found some info, each square side will be 256 in the future but 64 for now , right?

EDIT2: (hehe i am NOT going to double post i resist!!) if one builds the Taipei, this is 448 m height ie: 448/12.5 = 35 lenghts!!!!

EDIT3: hmmm last edit i hope, i forgot that we see it from an angle so how many lengths should the height be?
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

Costas wrote:EDIT3: hmmm last edit i hope, i forgot that we see it from an angle so how many lengths should the height be?
Well in Blender one can design in a 2D view, so in Blender the Taipei would be 35 "tiles" high. You'd have to put that into perspective and use the height and angle of the camera and some math to figure that out.
I'm NOT going to do that math, it's been a while lol
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

hmmi think i found it: if blender view angles work like i imagine, then the apparent height on screen would be equal to the cosine of the viewing angle (to the ground) times the actual height

if viewing angle is 45 degrees and the building height is 35 "tiles" then taipei in openTTD will look as tall as 24 "tiles"..

ok i am a bit obsessed now so i will leave it and see what happens once the new graphics are released!!!
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

it would be about 5 by 5 tiles on the ground as well....

Would super tall buildings start to look strange as you move around, due to the lack of perspective...?
Ben
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Would super tall buildings start to look strange as you move around, due to the lack of perspective...?
Yes they would. If you have the top of a tall building in the bottom of your screen, it would look really strange with the buildings behind it.
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

hehe but if the ground and the buildings where 3d but with a fixed viewing angle one could chose th view it prospectively or whatever it is.... but this is a diff matter since ppl have told me on the other thread that its v difficult to make openTTD 3d at the mo...

so ppl keep those blener files at hand in a few years mb we see openTTD3D with even cooler graphics!!
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

moel somthing to scale, then you can work out the height comparison vs the tiles.....

Ain't that hard :P

all the viewing angles and such were set up to isometric based on math in the first place, so its all correct anyway.

Alltaken
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

also football pitches will have to be at least 7 tiles in length (that is with no stands!!) and 5 in width

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/s ... 627079.stm
DeathByCake
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeathByCake »

I just posted in the blender .blend thread about airports, i've started working on a model, presumably the new airports will need to be huge, if the planes are going to be actual sized. I'm just looking for a little more clarification.

If that is the case then a Boeing 747 would be 5.12 tiles wide, multiply that by however many stands you need and that's going to be an enormous amount of space.
DBC
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

I think we're gonna need bigger maps lol
I think we should make it all like the real world. It's just the one thing that bothers me in TTD, the scale isn't right. If you take a 747 and put it next to the jubilee train, the train should be able to fit at least twice in loading area of the plane, but instead the wings of the plane are as long as the train...
DeathByCake
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeathByCake »

Well that's the problem, I had a look at Alltakens new airports, they work so long as no plane is bigger than one tile. As soon as we start getting into real world figures things get way bigger than we're used to in ttd.

I suppose I could just put the model together to real-world scale and then smallify it if needs be.

I didn't even think about the fact that the runways will need to be wider.

DBC
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

yeah exactly. we really need to discuss scale.
DeathByCake
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeathByCake »

I know, it's incredibly important, but at this point no one seems to know. I'm going to forge ahead with my airport anyway and try and keep it to some sort of modular design.

DBC
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I was looking at crazy's modeeled 747, and scaled up to 71meteres in legth thats going to be about 5.5 tiles long....wich is very large...also seeing the size of the new tile...its going to take up most of the screen.

Actually, talking about scale. One thing that i find confusing, is of what ive seen of ground sprites and road/rail tiles, there all made to squares half the legth and width (1/4 the size) of the largest tile size. Is this just because its a preivew of the larger graphic yet to come, or are tiles going to be able to hold 4 road/rail tiles with in them.... This really confuses me, and i could ask questions on it for a long time probly....i was just working on a building earlier, and setting the driveway of the carpark, and if there is 4 road tiles in 1 tile, then this would mean a completly different base plate for my building....arge, hmm..um
Ben
DeathByCake
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeathByCake »

That's about right, it needs six tiles for the wingspan, that's six tiles per stand, i've been looking at the new airbus a380 which is an absolute behemoth, that's going to need seven tiles, and the runways would need to be two tiles wide, this is getting a tad silly.

So for a four stand airport you're looking at least 14 square tiles, we're definately going to need bigger maps.

DBC
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I guess like buildings, smaller planes are going to be less visually consuming, and may be more popular
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”