[Need Testers!] Simulated Passenger Intelligence 1.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Anessen
Engineer
Engineer

[Need Testers!] Simulated Passenger Intelligence 1.0

Post by Anessen »

Download link: http://rapidshare.de/files/14240915/Pas ... D.rar.html
(Yes, yes, it's rapidshare.)
~2.5mb

This contains all the files you need to get started. It includes all the default stock edited to work with the new types, as well as the buildings that are automatically built. You will need Winrar to extract this archive. Once you have done that, just move the files into your OBJDATA folder in your main Locomotion folder.

As always, back up your OBJdata folder! I can not be held responsible for you accidently overwriting your original objects. This addon should not be able to physically damage your computer in anyway as long as your hardware is not on the brink of failure anyway.

This addon IS compatable with the 21st Century mod!
This mod and the 21st century mod do not conflict in anyway. I have tested this on a clean install myself. Some people are still reporting errors, I need information on which mods you are using, what language game you have, and what version.

Please note that this is the first version, and that there are still bug fixes/balances to be made.

Scenarios
Aha! I just found out that converting scenarios is easy. All you need to do is open up the one you want to edit in the in-game editor, and reselect at least one house/cottage, and a few office blocks/shops/apartments/flats. This will add the cargo type to the scenario, and all buildings will behave as expected!

About the default trains:
The EMUs and DMUs can carry Commuters, Passengers and Express Passengers.

Other standard coaches carry Passengers, Express and First Class only, this is due the the absense of first class coaches in the default stock list.

APT, TGV and Eurostar passenger coaches behave the same as the standard ones above.

New Passenger Types

Names and identification in the XML pages
Passenger = PASS
Express Passenger = PASSE
First Class Passenger = PASSF
Commuter = COMMUTER

Names and ID numbers
Passenger = 12
Express Passenger = 16
First Class Passenger = 14
Commuter = 15

Passengers behave as normal, and are accepted at most destinations.

Express Passengers are demanded by city buildings, and it is recommended that they can be transported with standard passengers. This can be done by saying that the tran or coach can carry Passenger OR Express Passengers, and each coach will pick which ones to fill up on depending how many are waiting. The key thing is that these passengers only get off at larger towns and cities. They are produced only in large city buildings, such as flats and smaller office blocks.

First Class Passengers are produced in large cities and extravagant office blocks. They can only be carried if the coach supports first class passengers, and it is not recommended that they mix with other passenger types for realism. Some EMUs and DMUs have one carrage reserved for first class passengers, such as the Electrostar 375/377. These people pay well for their treatment, you know.

Commuter Passengers are produced only in houses alongside standard passengers. These passengers however will only get off at stations that cover some sort of office or shop. Treat these in the same way as Express passengers, in that they can travel alongside other types, however you plan on doing it.

Adding the cargo types
The recommended way to add cargo types:
1.Find the cargo section in the vehicle you are editing (look for the <cargo> tags). For example:

Code: Select all

<cargo num="0" capacity="100">
		<cargotype id="12">0</cargotype>
	</cargo>
2.Duplicate this, and rename the num="0" to num="1"

<cargo num="0" capacity="100">
	</cargo>
	<cargo num="1" capacity="100">
	</cargo>
3. Take the "Capacity" value, and divide it by two, in this case the result is 50. Replace both capacity values with this.

<cargo num="0" capacity="50">
	</cargo>
	<cargo num="1" capacity="50">
	</cargo>
4. Now, add the cargo lines to each section for the cargo type you want to include. You can do this by copy/pasting the existing one, and changing the id="12" value. So to add Express Passengers into this as well as the existing passenger space, change the copied line's ID to 16.

<cargo num="0" capacity="50">
		<cargotype id="16">0</cargotype>
	</cargo>
	<cargo num="1" capacity="50">
		<cargotype id="16">0</cargotype>
	</cargo>
Unfortunatley, this is a big limitation that we just couldn't get around. You can only have a maximum of 2 indepenant cargo slots on a carrage, and other types of passenger wont fill up the remaining spaces on the second method. My and Illegal_Alien tried several things over MSN, and couldn't get it to work.
Tomorrow, we will start work converting the default stock over. I also offered to help with the excellent BR stock. Hopefull, we can see a lot of these superb quality train packs being converted over.

After testing this myself with just two test trains converted, I can already see how this will make passenger transport much more interesting.

As always, back up your OBJdata folder! I can not be held responsible for you accidently overwriting your original objects. This addon should not be able to physically damage your computer in anyway as long as your hardware is not on the brink of failure anyway.

----------------------------------------

I was just playing a game, and thought how utterly stupid it was that passengers were queueing in their hundreds at one station, only to be dropped off at a piddly little local station half a mile down the line. I know that getting full passenger intelligence into the game is impossible without modding the executable (OHNOES), so I thought of a way of spreading out the passengers and making things a little bit more realistic, assuming it is possible to add new cargos to the game.

Houses are basically industries, right? Is it possible to make multiple types of houses (like how we have office block, cottage etc), and have each one generate and demand a different type of passenger? This means that not all of the passengers would exit the train at the next stop like the idiots they are in the game. If it's possible to have houses accept a certain amount of cargo, this would work much better. Passengers would wait on the train until they get to a station where they are "demanded", and then exit the train. This spreads out the passengers, making a lot more sense on busier lines.

If it is not possible to stop all of the passengers exiting at the same time, perhaps because its not possible to limit demand or buildings in certain sized towns, perhaps we could have an industry that could be placed in the maps that looks like a house or skyscraper, and that produces certain types of passengers and demands others. This would allow commuting and inter-city travel to make more sense in the game.
Attachments
PassIntelligence1.0D.rar
V1.0 Default Stock, Cargo and Buildings
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 473 times
Last edited by Anessen on 03 Mar 2006 22:09, edited 19 times in total.
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

I think that is possible.
You could use the mail for instance for that.
Your "mail-passenger" could have an other destination than the "normal-passenger.
You have to change the xml of some offices and of some passenger trains.
Better is to change names from "mail' into "passenger 1st class" :wink:
Before asking, i will not do that for you because i'm not playing Lomo anymore for a while.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
Metromaster
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Metromaster »

I agree. In Sim City and Traffic Giant the passengers have specific destinations. Even in Chris Sawyer's RCT games the guests had specific rides they headed toward. I can't figure why he didn't use more of the programming from those games in this one.
Take a look at the trains, planes, buses, trams and ships at
http://www.YouTube.com/user/metromaster2010
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

I may be able to do this but it would take time.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

I may be able to do this but it would take time.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Metromaster wrote:Even in Chris Sawyer's RCT games the guests had specific rides they headed toward. I can't figure why he didn't use more of the programming from those games in this one.
Because as much as i love Mr Sawyers' creations, lets be honest Loco is a little half arsed is'nt it? He just ripped the engine from RCT and it seems A LOT of the code from TTD and slapped it together...

Its only playable because of user created mods (especially the nobreakdowns mod! Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou).
theshipper
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by theshipper »

teccuk wrote:
Metromaster wrote:Even in Chris Sawyer's RCT games the guests had specific rides they headed toward. I can't figure why he didn't use more of the programming from those games in this one.
Because as much as i love Mr Sawyers' creations, lets be honest Loco is a little half arsed is'nt it? He just ripped the engine from RCT and it seems A LOT of the code from TTD and slapped it together...

Its only playable because of user created mods (especially the nobreakdowns mod! Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou).
SHAME ON YOU! be nice he may have but for those of us who have played and know this game since it came out. We like it no matter what it is like. well some of us.

Still this is a possibltly. this would make the game more of a challange.
Anessen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Anessen »

Indeed, I find it so utterly pointless to build semi-realistic passenger network, when 200-odd passengers enter at the terminus and just leave at some little village station. Where do they all go?! Perhaps there is a really, really popular village pub that I don't know about (and should...).

And yes, Locomotion is very much incomplete. Do you think he was hurried to finish it? That's the impression I get. It could have been so much more. *Hopes Atari put the source up for legal download* (Well, we can dream).
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

You could make it express in the orders, so the train doesn't stop at small stations.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

Anessen wrote:Indeed, I find it so utterly pointless to build semi-realistic passenger network, when 200-odd passengers enter at the terminus and just leave at some little village station. Where do they all go?! Perhaps there is a really, really popular village pub that I don't know about (and should...).

And yes, Locomotion is very much incomplete. Do you think he was hurried to finish it? That's the impression I get. It could have been so much more. *Hopes Atari put the source up for legal download* (Well, we can dream).
If you want a decient passenger system get transport giant although the graphics is good the gameplay is rubbish.
Anessen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Anessen »

alistairgrew wrote:If you want a decient passenger system get transport giant although the graphics is good the gameplay is rubbish.
Said it yourself, the gameplay is rubbish.

chevyrider wrote:You could make it express in the orders, so the train doesn't stop at small stations.
It still doesn't solve the problems of commuter trains that generally fill up at smaller stations, then drop off all the passengers at a major city station. Also, cross country services sometimes pick up a couple of times before going on the major leg of the journey. You lose the passengers from the first station because they get off at the second station.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

OK here is what I see as possible.
Special long distance passenger (essentuly first class) only produced by matropolis buildings. This means to transport them you need a Metropolis to Metropolis connection.
First class passengers can be done
However introducing a new cargo type would have to be implemented carefully as it would need to be done for all transport boats, planes ect.
Geert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Geert »

Yeah, I also want to get rid of these pessengers. Because like a tram, when he picked up some pessengers, and makes and turns around with such an end track (you know, where he turns around). And stops again by the same station, and the passengers leave the tram. In the same station.
Geert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Geert »

Yeah, I also want to get rid of these pessengers. Because like a tram, when he picked up some pessengers, and makes and turns around with such an end track (you know, where he turns around). And stops again by the same station, and the passengers leave the tram. In the same station.
Anessen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Anessen »

alistairgrew wrote:OK here is what I see as possible.
Special long distance passenger (essentuly first class) only produced by matropolis buildings. This means to transport them you need a Metropolis to Metropolis connection.
However introducing a new cargo type would have to be implemented carefully as it would need to be done for all transport boats, planes ect.
If I knew how to do it, I would try myself. I must start researching this.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

by the way cs did not rip the engine out of rct. Rct was originaly meant to be loco but he got distracted.
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

alistairgrew wrote:OK here is what I see as possible.
In essence your theory will work, i think that was what scrat was attempting to do with the NL region, but in order to implement it would require so much work that not may people would be willing to undertake, as it would need a team of people as :-

All buildings
All transport types

would need to be edited, then a new scenario would need to be created with just those buildings and transport types in order for it to work properly.

Its a good idea but a hell of a lot of work, but if it was to be implemented then of course i would want to release another version of the BRSet to implement the new "passengers".
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

robotboy wrote:by the way cs did not rip the engine out of rct. Rct was originaly meant to be loco but he got distracted.
Details, details :P i played TTD since the first demo and got loco near to day of release, don't get me wrong its better than nothing, i do love it! im just saying the longevity of it is lacking becuase of a number of pretty terrible flaws, underground building, the whole 60mph limit on ramps, silly growth of cities, dumping a billion passengers in a village etc.

I've carried on playing once discovering you guys and your wonderful mods and scenarios (nobreakdowns and mapgen especially).

Anyone ever seen the "holy church of transport tycoon site"?
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

It is possible (note the 21st centery region) but as MD said we would require a huge team. To do the following jobs:
Converting Buildings
Converting Vehicles
Creating a new region
For all this I think we need at least 5 people who have the skills and know how.
And a hell of A LOT of traffic and hosting.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

New project webpage opened by me anyone wishing to help can PM me.
To visit the site click the link below then locomotion.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”