Dutch stations set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

this is not a matter of 'finished' or 'unfinished', but style differences. Purno likes the platforms and buildings like this: clean, with very few to no texturing. i've seen it on his trains as well, and it's simply the way he prefers to do his graphics. Caelan also has a bit of that style, say t'is similar.
me, and some others along with that, prefer textured buildings and platforms. now there's a cultural difference which will be solved in an easy way. i propose, either way:
- the set will be different styles together, or
- the set will have all it's graphics textured and will be released in 2 versions.

my vote goes for 2nd version. and if bloody i.Mage worked on this Mac i would've gotten 'round to it already. in fact, does anyone know a good sprite painter/editor for Mac?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

@Aegir,

I requested to Caelan if he wanted to draw Hilversum a few times, but he didn't put it on the todo list. So, finally I drew it myself. And when I draw something I draw it my style; Untextured. It works fine for trains, but apparently not for buildings. I could do pixel randomization but that'd probably be ugly too. So it'd be great if someone else could improve the sprites. Besides, ATM I got other thingies to do, and I'm not drawing sprites ATM. Now I don't want to act childish (which I probably already did) and I don't want fights. But I want Hilversum in the set and I don't want to draw in something which is not my style, at least, not ATM.

Well, blah... whatever...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

If one of you guys PM's me the original sprites, I'd like to have a go at texturing them up for ya. It's a damn fine looking station as is, but I think that a large consensus wants it scuffed up a bit.

Cheers!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

astath wrote:my vote goes for 2nd version. and if bloody i.Mage worked on this Mac i would've gotten 'round to it already. in fact, does anyone know a good sprite painter/editor for Mac?
I don't have it on my computer now, but if I were to draw/edit sprites again I'd use Graphic Converter. I believe you can download a demo or something equal here:

http://www.lemkesoft.com/

It's a wonderful detailed and simple program for MacOS. I've known it ever since I used a Mac. (that's almost all of my lifetime)
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Oz wrote:If one of you guys PM's me the original sprites, I'd like to have a go at texturing them up for ya. It's a damn fine looking station as is, but I think that a large consensus wants it scuffed up a bit.

Cheers!
You mean this file posted earlier?
Sure, I'll PM it to ya. :tongue:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

@ xeryus

Did you mean my station buildings or my platforms?

Anyway here they are:

1. These platforms are not yet code ready, since i was not able to put them in code wise sprites yet but perhaps they are of use.

2. The same goes for the stations, unfortunately my work does not allow me to spend a great deal of time on these sprites. But if you think you can code them, by all means!

At the buildings in general, i recently learned how to randomize sprites, i have not yet had the oppertunity to try that out on these 'bright and flashy' buildings. All in time people, be patient!
Attachments
unfinished sprites
unfinished sprites
overview stations.PNG (23.58 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Sprites of platforms
Sprites of platforms
platform sprites.PNG (42.34 KiB) Viewed 904 times
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

Looking lovely Caelan :)

MD
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Cool Caelan, they are looking very nice. I think some of the buildings could use some extra texturing though (the middle one on the left for example).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:(the middle one on the left for example).
That's Amersfoort ;)

And, some of them still need to be drawn in the other direction too.
Image Image
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Hey, Gang! Me and Purno have been collaborating on his Hilversum station for the last few weeks, or so. Some of you wanted some texturing, and Purno was gracious enough to let me have a go. As you can see, the station building has be re-worked to include texture, shading, and a few smaller tweaks. However the drawing is still largely Purno's.

As I was tweaking the station, Purno sent me some pics of the platforms, and I figured eh, what the hell, I'll have a go at them. The pic attached is the outcome of what the station could look like. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions?

Xeryus: Since I believe that you're coding this set, I've included the sprite set in the attached ZIP. Have a look, and if anything's messed up, or you have any questions, fire off a PM to me.

Cheers!
Attachments
Hilversum Sprites.zip
(14.32 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Hilversum Example.png
Hilversum Example.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Nice one Oz, the station defenately looks better :). I don't know if the second roof access is better though, I liked a single one at the end more.
And are the roofs part of Hilversum only or just generic tiles? I would personally prefer them to be seperate. And if they do belong to Hilversum they would look nicer behind the building although the building might block your view on them.
Oh, and the buildings at the end of the platform have a different direction than Hilversum in the NE-SW direction, I think I spoke to Purno about this direction stuff before though and I can't remember what the results of the conversation were :P.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:Oh, and the buildings at the end of the platform have a different direction than Hilversum in the NE-SW direction, I think I spoke to Purno about this direction stuff before though and I can't remember what the results of the conversation were :P.
In both directions you're looking at the front of the building. The result of the convo was that there wasn't anything you can do about it, except mirroring the building in one view (which is ugly).

And I love those roofs, just like the real thing. :D
Image Image
Vloris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vloris »

Purno wrote:And I love those roofs, just like the real thing. :D
It looks nice, in real life I don't see it very regularly from this angle! Sitting in a train passing by... 8)
Last edited by Vloris on 18 Feb 2007 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bastiaan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bastiaan »

It looks fantastic! It looks so much like the real one, It's scaring me :shock: Very good job!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Oz und Purno, team graphique extraordinaire™.

that looks really bloody brilliant. damn.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Oz, that's damn brilliant. Would you mind doing some other stations, perhaps?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Zomg, coded.
Attachments
The new hilversum station.
The new hilversum station.
hilversum.png (11 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Holy s***, that thing is hot. Good job, guys.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Nice, but you forgot the roofs :wink:
Image Image
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

quality nice material, Xeryus. it's truly bizarre how you learned to code in, well, what seems like a day in the life of a asthmatic badger. brilliance.

Return to “Graphics Development”