UK Renewal Set - v3 1st of August 2006

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

About the sounds..I've noticed that some trains have unique sounds, while others share their horn blasts (e.g. many of the early steam locomotives have identical sounds, while the Pacific and the late freight steamers are unique). Is it supposed to be like this?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I'm quite scared by the future loco sounds. Are they meant to be like that or did they get electronically mangled?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

White Rabbit wrote:(e.g. many of the early steam locomotives have identical sounds, while the Pacific and the late freight steamers are unique).
Yes, many of the locos share sounds. There are *counts* 9 whistle/horn sounds and 11 engine sound sets in total.
Born Acorn wrote:Are they meant to be like that or did they get electronically mangled?
The Wardale locos' horn was really bad before the 2.0 release, they're toned down (no pun intended) a bit now...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Love the futuristic stuff, Pikka. Marvelous work.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: UK Renewal Set - v2.0 30th of January

Post by HaroldV »

PikkaBird wrote:Feedback, as always, is welcome.
1. Nice new site. Nice new toys to play with. Sweet. :D

2. Now, again I'd like to request that you consider tweaking passenger and mail loading speeds in the later vehicle overrides? Maybe it's just in my games, but the default spped loading ends up meaning passenger trains often spending as much time in the station as travelling, having to "over"-build stations with additional platforms to hold those waiting trains, and in some cases, an acknowledgement that for all the additional 'infrastructure' I can possibly squeeze in, towns will generate passengers and mail faster than I can load 'em. :x

3. New sounds. The horns and whatnot are really ugly sounds, yet they work really well, and I like them a lot. The running sounds I like a whole lot less. The steam sounds themselves are quite good, but the implementation doesn't quite work. I guess this is a limitation of what the new sounds code can do, but the transition from one steam sound to the next ("changing gears") is pretty crude, and after a time becomes a bit annoying. The diesel and electric sounds are fine in themselves, but after a while their humming just becomes a constant clutter in the background. I guess I'm not sold at all on the idea that constant running sounds are a desirable thing(*). Still, kudos to you for being the first to incorporate such a new and different feature so fully.

NB: With the new sounds on the "kaa-ching!" sound when money is paid on delivery disappeared completely. Intentional or some conflict?

(* Slight tangent: Will the NARS being incorporating running sounds? I think the horn, etc sounds in that set are terrific, they add a lot to the atmosphere - IMHO adding running sounds will make using those newsounds less desirable.)
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

Hmmm. Perhaps relatedly, but can newsounds in a grf be triggered by parameters? That way there'd be a solution for everyone. (Except for poor pikka, who would have to code it. :oops: )
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

I did wonder that. It's just an on/off switch at them moment isn't it? If the newsounds switch can itself determine which sounds are which type (by manner of what bit of code is being called), perhaps the newsounds switch can be tweaked to use the user-passed parameters for which sounds are played, rather than it being done individually by each grf creator?

I dunno how it works, but, yeah that's a good idea khamura.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Well, I did test the patch´s "running sounds" feature during the DB Set update process towards v0.9 quite a lot, both in DOS and Windows, but - as HaraldV states - I do have the same problems with them: both in implementation restrictions and in longterm psychological results. 8)

(Note however that I didn´t test out Pikkas .grf yet. Nevertheless, I think the problems would be the same.)

In conclusion, I´ve decided to skip running sounds but restrict to all the other sound possibilities.

Although the idea to support user sound customization would be a good idea at all, I don´t think it´s a good solution with regards to the first problem (implementation restrictions).

regards
Michael
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

khamura wrote:Hmmm. Perhaps relatedly, but can newsounds in a grf be triggered by parameters? That way there'd be a solution for everyone. (Except for poor pikka, who would have to code it. :oops: )
They can, and I am considering doing this...

BTW, if you find the sounds are becoming annoying, you may have the volume up too loud. I deliberately intended the running sounds for the trains to be quiet, and in fact the most annoying thing for me as far as the sounds go in TTD at the moment is the road vehicle startups.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I like vehicle running sounds, but theres still something missing, mainly the click-clack sound when a wheel hits a spot in the tracks where theres a small gap..
Is it possible to make that sound only play every two wagons, i.e Wagon 1 makes click clack sound, then next one to make it is wagon 3 and so on?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Sounds are only played for the engine, wagons make no sound.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

michael blunck wrote:Although the idea to support user sound customization would be a good idea at all, I don´t think it´s a good solution with regards to the first problem (implementation restrictions)
There's a relatively simple implementation suggested on the wiki.
One sounds GRF, and a separate train GRF that imports the sounds from the sound GRF. Users who want sounds download and add both, users that don't only download the trains GRF. This is one of the few times where I consider multiple GRF files for a single project to be acceptable.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

michael blunck wrote:Although the idea to support user sound customization would be a good idea at all, I don´t think it´s a good solution with regards to the first problem (implementation restrictions).
I don't know what you mean by "with regards to the first problem", but it's not difficult at all to add the grf parameter to disable running sounds. After all, there are already a lot of "implementation restrictions" in there (eg, it doesn't play the sounds in tunnels, when broken down, or for AI trains).
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Okay, let's call it 2.1 :)

Setting grf parameter 0 to 1 (eg, "newgrf/pb_brmini.grf 1") should now deactivate engine sounds (but leave the custom hornsounds). Try it out and tell me if there's any problems. :)
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

Is it intended for the Gemini monorail engine to become available three times? :? Right now, the first one is available from 2021 for 40 passengers, the next in 2035 for 30 mail, the last in 2037 for 40 goods. Also, the Taurus is designed in 1928. :shock:
Attachments
SCR31.png
SCR31.png (29.1 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

khamura, you might wish to disable the conflicting set... For me the Geminis appear in 2015 and the Taurus in 2019, though the Taurus container wagon appears a couple of years later.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

peter1138 wrote:khamura, you might wish to disable the conflicting set... For me the Geminis appear in 2015 and the Taurus in 2019, though the Taurus container wagon appears a couple of years later.
Hrm. Yes, I suppose it could be GRF conflicts, but I'm not sure which combination is responsible for this mess. I certainly didn't change my setup, only updated the UKRS. :?

Oh well. I shall experiment... 8)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Yes, you must have a conflicting set. The Cyclops isn't supposed to appear at all, and all the Geminis are supposed to appear at the same time (or as close as is possible).
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

Curiouser and curiouser. :shock: Can a set have conflicts with another even though that other set isn't loaded? That is to say, is red in the New Graphics window? I have the DBSet, USSet and CanSet, but disabled them in order to play with the UKRS.

ETA: I tried editing them out of my newgrfs completely, yet the problem persists. Here's my config.
Attachments
newgrfw.cfg
(829 Bytes) Downloaded 215 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

khamura wrote:Curiouser and curiouser. :shock: Can a set have conflicts with another even though that other set isn't loaded?
Actually, it's not necessarily a grf conflict, it could just be that if you're running a game you started with the older ukrs, it hasn't updated the vehicle data. Try doing a cht:resetvehicles.

Return to “Graphics Development”