Open TTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jibb01
Engineer
Engineer

Open TTD

Post by Jibb01 »

Hi

I just joined this fourm and i was wondering what OTTD is?
Is it a prepatched version of TTD with many benifits, How do i get this OTTD?....

ive been playing TTD for about 10 years now i spose and have proberly done everything and anything possible, but now want to go further :wink: .

Thanks, Jack 8)
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

OpenTTD is an open source port of the Chris Sawyer game Transport Tycoon Deluxe to C using a disassembly of the original game binaries. Originally closed source, the conversion process from assembly language to C was performed single handedly by Ludvig Strigeus between mid-2002 and March 2004. Since then, the game has seen much development and has even reached the top ten most active projects on SourceForge. Thanks to the OpenTTD developers and patch submitters, OpenTTD has become arguably the best Transport Tycoon Deluxe spin-off. Thanks to its use of the SDL cross platform graphics and sound layer, it works on virtually any operating system in common usage, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Linux, OS/2, FreeBSD,Palm OS,Pocket PC, MorphOS officially supported, with SkyOS and RISC OS supported through unofficial ports. However, it does not officially run on DOS, despite DOS being the primary platform on which Transport Tycoon ran.

OpenTTD duplicates the original game feature-wise but also has numerous additions, including canals, revised rail station construction and additional airports. Perhaps the most significant feature compared to the original game is its multiplayer capability. It offers LAN and Internet play via public, world-wide servers for up to ten players.

It incorporates many features from TTDPatch, and like TTDPatch it is available under the GPL. Both OpenTTD and TTDPatch are not totally standalone games — while OpenTTD does not need the Transport Tycoon Deluxe executables, it does need the game graphics files. However, there is currently an effort to devise a new graphics standard (and new graphics) to eliminate this need, for legal reasons.

Due to the nature of its coming to be, namely from disassembling official game binaries, the legal status of the project is still uncertain. Some have claimed fair use rights, whereas in some jurisdictions it would remain illegal in all cases due to its illegal (in said jurisdictions) origins, regardless of whether or not any original code was written out. The original game as published by Microprose has had a number of owners in recent years, namely Hasbro and Infogrames (which was later renamed Atari). However, Atari has not shown any interest in the project, and does not seem interested in pursuing any claim of copyright infringement, for the moment.

You can download the latest version of Openttd or the latest nightly at the official website: http://www.openttd.com/

Thank you, come again.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

OTTD is basicly just an open source version of TTD, because of this there are features that the original TTD doesn't have and there are more added all the time.

You can download OTTD from here.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jibb01
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jibb01 »

Thanks very much guy's 8) its working fine ile let you know how i get on with it and maybe you could tell me if theres improvements on complex juctions and signals?

EDIT:

Im so amazed at the great features.. this is truley amazing. is there graphic packs?

do you know where i can download every upgrade/ graphics or anythign thats good for OTTD?

and once again Thanks!
thepizzaking
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thepizzaking »

A LOT of people use the UK Renewal set, I haven't played with it yet but I keep meaning to.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=14785
I'm A Cobra (or so the rumours go) :)
Get OpenTTD, It's awesome!!
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

that set won`t work right for me.
I`m sure the maglevs should not come under rail and the only maglev train being what look like a rail train and has max speed of 90MPh!!! :(

anyway. about junctions.
standerd OTTD: Pre-signals
nightly:Pre-signals and PBS-signals
Integated:3 state signals. Pre-signals and PBS-signals.
ctrl click changes between them.
Of course they all have the signals from TTD :)
The auto rail tool (hot key 5 or A) is also good.
OTTD also uses 2 new pathfinders (NTP and NPF) so trains don`t get lost on complex junctions.
Jibb01
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jibb01 »

oh thats what npf is? kool ive made some very good juctions that should work properly.. but ttd does have limited programing with the trains and what not.. so thats really handy :P ty

could you tell me more about nightly.. as i downloaded yesterdays and put it in my OTTD folder and its changed all my setting's and everything do you have to reset the setting everytime you update?

Jack 8)
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

i think you do with the options and difficulty settings.
The pachts "should" stay set unless you remove "openttd.cfg"

Return to “General OpenTTD”