A beginner's problem

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

A beginner's problem

Post by collingwood »

1. I have downloaded a new graphic set which have the files newgrfw.cgf and some other grf files placed in a folder. So what do I need to do to install them?

2. I've seen some saved games posted here which uses different train sets. Do I need to load the corresponding graphic sets each time to play that game?

3. Can I use all the downloaded graphic sets together in one single game?

Thanks a lot
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

1.)First of all, the newgrfw.cfg should be placed in the main TTD Patch directory, along with the game. The .grf files should be placed in a folder called 'newgrf' (minus the quotes). Then open up newgrfw.cfg and place the appropriate graphics sets in them in the following way:

Code: Select all

newgrf/set1w.grf
newgrf/set2w.grf
newgrf/set3w.grf
#newgrf/set4w.grf
The '#' disables the set without having to delete it from the config.

2.)As long as they are loaded in the config file, then they will work. Beware, you have to have the correct graphic files for a savegame to work. Eg USSet and USRoads or DBSetXL, Trams and OneWayRoads etc

3.)In short, no... This is because there is a limit to how many slots there are for each indivisual type of thing (trains/houses/landscape etc)
For instance, the major sets such as DBSetXL and USSet, take up all the train slots, so you cant use more than that for the trains. On the other hand, .grf files which contain different things are acceptable, ie USSet (trains), USRoads (roads), TTRS2 (buildings) etc

Hope this helps
James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Apart from the above you also have to activate the grf sets in the "Graphic Status Window" which you can find under the "wrench" icon (second one from the left).
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

/me looks at the username

Ahh, so another Aussie joins the fray.

Welcome to the invasion.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by collingwood »

Thanks. Here are some more questions. Hope you won't find me annoying.

1. How do you load the graphics into the config file?

2. Save games here have names like trp60_200.sv1 but mines are like TRT03.SV1. However when I change the 'trp' back to 'trt' I could play it. Is this normal?

3. I remember in the original TT industries have only around a thousand ouput max, even after the year 2050. Is it true that in TTD you could see factories producing a hundred thousand goods per month?

Again, many thanks.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

you need to put

newgrf/grf1.grf
newgrf/grf2.grf

Also for games you download from here yo need to remove the last numbers after the underscore including the underscore but before the .sv1
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

And for #3, yes, it is possible. But you must set up your stations and routes properly in order to get a factory to produce that many goods. :)
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Like this. :D
Attachments
Clipboard.png
Clipboard.png (82.96 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by collingwood »

Here's a problem encounted when using pre-signals

Is this setup correct?
Thanks
Attachments
SCR4.png
SCR4.png (65.89 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

collingwood wrote:Here's a problem encounted when using pre-signals

Is this setup correct?
Well, I can't really see a problem there, since there is no description of what the problem actually is. But what I see is a wild mixture of entrance-, exit- and combo-signals, and they are all two-way - which will not work as expected.

To get useful results, you should start using one-way signals, then figure out the different signal types and their meanings, and finally take a look at PBS-signalling. The link in my sig might help a bit with that.

Greets,
Uwe
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by collingwood »

Thanks.

Actually, there is a main backbone (from right upper corner to the lower side) that consists of three lines which allows double direction access. About five or six trains uses the track, and a 'loop' is made for waiting trains. (since the tracks lead to a terminal station where space is limited) The loop could be entered from both sides.

It seems ok with two or three trains but I don't know whether it'll work with full capacity.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

A bit OT, but a tunnel like that underneath an ironore mine isn't very realistic. :wink:
Still the best OS around
pmhtuk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pmhtuk »

collingwood wrote:Thanks.

Actually, there is a main backbone (from right upper corner to the lower side) that consists of three lines which allows double direction access. About five or six trains uses the track, and a 'loop' is made for waiting trains. (since the tracks lead to a terminal station where space is limited) The loop could be entered from both sides.

It seems ok with two or three trains but I don't know whether it'll work with full capacity.
The only thing I can see is that it looks like a maze - and some trains will get lost when you get to full capacity

Where does that line at the back go to? (The one under the mine?)

If possible, try and sort the trains before they arrive at this junction, and where possible, as a "golden rule" which I use, don't let a track junction reach over two tracks as it'll slow down the rest of the network. [More trains waiting at signals as the track section is blocked with another train]
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by collingwood »

It goes back to a point on the main line...And again, it accepts trains entering the loop from both sides...

To Rob: What does 'OT' mean?

Here's the game. Modification is welcomed.
Attachments
TRT08.SV1
(186.81 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

collingwood wrote:It goes back to a point on the main line...And again, it accepts trains entering the loop from both sides...

To Rob: What does 'OT' mean?

Here's the game. Modification is welcomed.
OT means off topic.
pmhtuk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pmhtuk »

I'll have a look at your saved game, Collingwood, however the thing I meant is shown below...
pmhtuk wrote: don't let a track junction reach over two tracks as it'll slow down the rest of the network
meaning, let less trains get congested:

(If you already knew about this already, discard this post!)
Attachments
The tunnel avoids congesting Train C with Train A and B which can continue as normal at the junction.
The tunnel avoids congesting Train C with Train A and B which can continue as normal at the junction.
fix.jpg (109.9 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
The issue - Train B is fine to continue, however both Train A and Train C have to wait as the track is blocked
The issue - Train B is fine to continue, however both Train A and Train C have to wait as the track is blocked
issue.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Last edited by pmhtuk on 29 Dec 2005 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
pmhtuk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pmhtuk »

collingwood wrote: Here's the game. Modification is welcomed.
Right, I'd have to spend ages modifying the entire system, as you've used too many "normal" signals.

Try building a system of one-way tracks to sort the traffic - there are some massive issues near stations where trains are just queuing everywhere.

See image for the change made - this sorts the issue instantly!

If you'd like an example of a saved game, i'll find one that you can look at. In the meantime, look at the Scenario "Scotland" which is already installed on your system. Take a look at the Blue Company's system which uses one-way signals to keep trains in order.
Attachments
Simple route...
Simple route...
SCR10.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
collingwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by collingwood »

Yes, I know, because I was trying to convert the normal signals to some pre-signals. Anyway, thanks.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

pmhtuk wrote:menaing, let less trains get congested:
I've gone one step further and added in the latest patch features :wink::
Attachments
Visible:- enhancedtunnels, buildonslopes and 2companycolor.
Visible:- enhancedtunnels, buildonslopes and 2companycolor.
enhancedfix.PNG (36.25 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
pmhtuk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pmhtuk »

A Beta option, I assume?

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”