Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by Redirect Left »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
roboboy wrote:@Baldy's Boss

In future can you please not (Doub or Trip or Quadrup or Quintup or Sextup)le Post in the future. You can quote multiple posts in one reply. Any future infractions will result in a warning.
For future reference,how DO you quote multiple posts in one reply?
When they're encountered on different pages one can't track them simultaneously.
If nothing else, copy pasting works.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Redirect Left wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:
roboboy wrote:@Baldy's Boss

In future can you please not (Doub or Trip or Quadrup or Quintup or Sextup)le Post in the future. You can quote multiple posts in one reply. Any future infractions will result in a warning.
For future reference,how DO you quote multiple posts in one reply?
When they're encountered on different pages one can't track them simultaneously.
If nothing else, copy pasting works.
Just press 'quote' on the first posting you want to quote and start replying. Then scroll down further. There's a (reverse) list of previous postings. Just press quote on those to those you want to reply to.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Anyone suggested a feature to auto-replace destroyed road vehicles and crashed aircrafts? That would be very useful and time saving.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Andrex wrote:Anyone suggested a feature to auto-replace destroyed road vehicles and crashed aircrafts? That would be very useful and time saving.
+1 to that!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

That's why you should hear the news :wink:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Hi there,
I'm playing OTTD for a year or so and ilike to bulid pretty stations with objects.
The problem is, that cars can't go to tiles with objects on them (and there are a lot of NewGrf with pretty roads as objects ex. DWE, ISR).
I'd suggest so that objects could be placed over roads (to tile have behaviour of road, but display object and vehicle sprites).

Another suggestion is to have local indistry aware wehicle running cost, that steam vehicles running would cost less near coal mines, electric vehicles less near power plants, gas vehicles less near gas stations and so on.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Roslav wrote:The problem is, that cars can't go to tiles with objects on them (and there are a lot of NewGRF with pretty roads as objects ex. DWE, ISR).
This set allows you to do that due to some clever coding and graphics tricks, and uses DWE and ISR graphics as its base.
invert456
Engineer
Engineer

Post by invert456 »

Evening all,

Firstly, apologies if this has been posted before or if the solution is already in this thread.

I would really like to know if there are any keyboard shortcuts or GRFs to be able to construct multiple rail tracks at the same time. If so an even bigger bonus would be if it were to add signals automatically.

The reason for this is that I like to construct long (300-400 tiles) multiple passenger lines to link cities. To do this track by track and then to signal it all can take time so I am looking to see if anyone has had the same issues and created a solution.

Any help is appreciated. I have seen a solution with patches but I am not savvy with patching whatsover so I would like to stay away from this at the minute.

Thanks all.
Attachments
Sample.png
Sample.png (80.15 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

invert456
Engineer
Engineer

Post by invert456 »

Alberth wrote:You know about click+drag for making tracks and signals?
http://wiki.openttd.org/Building_tracks ... g_tracks_2
http://wiki.openttd.org/Building_signal ... of_signals
Yes of course, I use this function a lot, my question is to expand on this.

I click and drag to make the majority of the tracks I use but it is time consuming. I was asking if there is a shortcut or GRF to be able to construct multiple lines at the same time. Lets say I want to make a straight track for 500 tiles but i want to do 3, why not do it at the same time?

Lets say I want to create a mainline between cities but due to the amount of trains I want to put on this it needs to be more than one track wide. An option to select how many tracks wide you want would be great. The functionality must be there already as it would be the same function as when you create a wide station.

The adding the signals would be the addition afterwards.

I am sure there are other players that have this problem so any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Do you use ctrl+click+drag to place signals? You start placing the signals just like you have been. But when you do the click+drag for the signals, hold down the ctrl key. Let go of the drag, and you'll have the entire segment of the rail signaled, until 1) there was another signal on the track, or 2) there is a branch/merge/rail crossing along the way. With this, placing signals along 300 tiles or 1000 tiles will only take couple of seconds. 3 lines of it? No problem!
invert456
Engineer
Engineer

Post by invert456 »

Sylf wrote:Do you use ctrl+click+drag to place signals? You start placing the signals just like you have been. But when you do the click+drag for the signals, hold down the ctrl key. Let go of the drag, and you'll have the entire segment of the rail signaled, until 1) there was another signal on the track, or 2) there is a branch/merge/rail crossing along the way. With this, placing signals along 300 tiles or 1000 tiles will only take couple of seconds. 3 lines of it? No problem!
Legend, that is one of them sorted. Much appreciated.
Any ideas on the multiple track placement or will I have to keep dragging them across 400+ tiles one by one :D

Cheers
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

invert456 wrote:...multiple track placement...
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=69965
There have been some discussion around this before. I could only find 1 thread so far. The idea never really took off. For now, you'll need to lay them one by one. With practice, maybe you can place rails with the zoomed-out view accurately. Then placing a 300-tile section is also easy. That's the only work-around I can think of.
invert456
Engineer
Engineer

Post by invert456 »

Sylf wrote:
There have been some discussion around this before. I could only find 1 thread so far. The idea never really took off. For now, you'll need to lay them one by one. With practice, maybe you can place rails with the zoomed-out view accurately. Then placing a 300-tile section is also easy. That's the only work-around I can think of.
Thanks for the update again.
I do tend to use the zoomed out view so its not too difficult, the signalling was the main thing so thanks again.

I have reviewed the thread and it does not look like it is a runner so will continue as normal but utilise the signalling shortcut.

Cheers
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

ISA wrote:
Andrex wrote:Anyone suggested a feature to auto-replace destroyed road vehicles and crashed aircrafts? That would be very useful and time saving.
+1 to that!
Routes could solve this (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7&start=24), but... who could implement routes? :)
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

Not fully automatic, but here is a trick:

When something crash & burn (plane, train, car) you get notified. Click the notification to go there. If it is a plane, click the nearest hangar. Then "copy aircraft", hold down ctrl and click one the wrecked plane. This buys you a new plane, who shares orders with the existing wreck. All you need is to start it, and it will take over over the route as soon as the runway clears.

Similiar for trainwrecks. ctrl-click the train wreck(s) to create copies. You get the correct types of cars and the same order set - the new trains take over as soon as the track is cleared. Works for road vehicles too, but you must use a garage instead of a train shed.

There is no need to re-fit vehicles or enter new orders. You get a working copy of the wreck, complete with orders.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Hafting wrote:

When something crash & burn (plane, train, car) you get notified. Click the notification to go there. If it is a plane, click the nearest hangar. Then "copy aircraft", hold down ctrl and click one the wrecked plane. This buys you a new plane, who shares orders with the existing wreck. All you need is to start it, and it will take over over the route as soon as the runway clears.

Similiar for trainwrecks. ctrl-click the train wreck(s) to create copies. You get the correct types of cars and the same order set - the new trains take over as soon as the track is cleared. Works for road vehicles too, but you must use a garage instead of a train shed.

There is no need to re-fit vehicles or enter new orders. You get a working copy of the wreck, complete with orders.
But you do have to see the notification, and if there is a long message queue, you could easily miss it, or be too late.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Transportman wrote:
Hafting wrote:

But you do have to see the notification, and if there is a long message queue, you could easily miss it, or be too late.
+1
I have disabled all other messages what possible and even then I cant get all the crashes what happens in my game... Not sure why. I very often must look trough news history and if they (vehicles) are there to copy I do that, but that's pure luck!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Sylf wrote:
As an alternative to zooming out, you can also open a viewport window at the end of where you want the rail to go, then with the main view at the starting point, click and drag from the main window to the viewport. I use this a lot in the scenario editor for dropping large areas to sea level, and I'm pretty sure it works with all the draggable tools.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Sylf wrote:
As an alternative to zooming out, you can also open a viewport window at the end of where you want the rail to go, then with the main view at the starting point, click and drag from the main window to the viewport. I use this a lot in the scenario editor for dropping large areas to sea level, and I'm pretty sure it works with all the draggable tools.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”