Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by einsteinyh »

Isn't there any possibility to update the first post with newer suggestions and their implementation status or way to get them? (As it happens on the wiki) :roll:
I ask about it in order to ease for newbies in forums finding that info in this place (I know the most common situation is that this post is ignored. However, I think that is worth the effort :wink: )
Sorry if my english is bad, so feel free to correct me. :roll:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

In general, there will be a lot more people able to change a wiki than a forum post. and since keeping a list like this up to date requires both knowledge and dedication, you will rarely find people matching all of these requirements. you're better off putting a link to the wiki.
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

Economics
◦More disasters
◦War disaster
◦Less random economy
◦Total expences column
◦Safety at level crossings
◦Different trainsets for different players - NewGRF has accomplished this

Environment
◦Underwater levels (visable or not)
◦Night
◦Seasons
◦Snow on things (roads, tracks, buildings) - Snow has been implemented in the game already
◦Two height levels

Track-types
◦Subways
◦Trams - Already implemented , just doesn't come with any vehicles
◦Rack rail
◦Aging of tracks and derailment
◦Tracks over bridge's entrance
◦Auto complete signals
◦Track maintanence
◦Signals on bridges and in tunnels
◦Diagonal roads, tunnels, bridges

Vehicles
◦Variable length - NewGRF has achieved this
◦Articulated
◦Faster planes
◦Wagon replace with cargo refit (advanced refit options)
◦More monorails/maglevs
◦Ships that don't drive through each other
◦More future vehicles

Stations
◦Segmented staitions (graphically)
◦Storage areas for stations (warehouses....)
◦Large docks (combine with above perhaps)
◦Placeable airports - Airports are placeable and always have been
◦Whole city catchment for airports
◦City owned airports

Buildings
◦More customizable HQ's

GUI
◦Face window fix/ implementation
◦Image avatars (from existing file)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Improved Version by Offlithium
Qa'pla!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

◦Safety at level crossings - accomplished via proper placement of PBS
◦Night - accomplished via two NewGRF sets
◦Rack rail - accomplished whenever somebody makes a NewGRF set
◦Aging of tracks - available via patch
◦Tracks over bridge's entrance - available via patch
◦Signals on bridges and in tunnels - available via patch
◦Articulated - completed
◦Wagon replace with cargo refit (advanced refit options) - available via NewGRF spec
◦More monorails/maglevs - available via NewGRF
◦Ships that don't drive through each other - available via patch
◦More future vehicles - available via NewGRFs
◦Segmented staitions (graphically)
- available via NewGRF and NewObjects
◦City owned airports - available via patch
◦More customizable HQ's - accomplished via NewGRF spec
◦Face window fix/ implementation - done
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

A few more.

War disaster - war themed additions won't be implemented.
Seasons - variable snow levels in arctic climate is available via NewGRF
Faster planes - matter of writing NewGRF
Whole city catchment area - Set station spread to 64, and place station tiles throughout the city.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:◦Safety at level crossings - accomplished via proper placement of PBS
◦Night - accomplished via two NewGRF sets
◦Rack rail - accomplished whenever somebody makes a NewGRF set
◦Aging of tracks - available via patch
But not as a consequence of an adjustable maintenance budget,with derailment risks associated with breaking speed limits
kamnet wrote: ◦Tracks over bridge's entrance - available via patch
◦Signals on bridges and in tunnels - available via patch
◦Articulated - completed
◦Wagon replace with cargo refit (advanced refit options) - available via NewGRF spec
◦More monorails/maglevs - available via NewGRF
◦Ships that don't drive through each other - available via patch
◦More future vehicles - available via NewGRFs
How many NewGRFs actually offer more maglevs or future vehicles?...I know the two Vactrain/track sets.I thought you were the one who commented that there weren't many.
kamnet wrote: ◦Segmented staitions (graphically)
- available via NewGRF and NewObjects
◦City owned airports - available via patch
◦More customizable HQ's - accomplished via NewGRF spec
But we're still stuck with the same number of HQ stages,with the top one easily achieved before a company grows enormously larger with no further change possible.
kamnet wrote: ◦Face window fix/ implementation - done
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:How many NewGRFs actually offer more maglevs or future vehicles?...I know the two Vactrain/track sets.I thought you were the one who commented that there weren't many.
The beauty of an open add-on system like OpenTTD is that if you see something that's missing, you can make your own add-on. With enough drive and patience, anyone can learn to create a vehicle NewGRF.

Dutch Set version 2, UK Renewal Set 3.04 (and its addon pack), US Train Set, eGRVTS, NUTS, av8, 2cc train set, and probably some more, do offer some future (relative to 2016) vehicles. Modern Maglev Trains, as name implies, is dedicated to maglev trains, including some future trains.
morzenmebs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by morzenmebs »

a lot of these already exist in grfs and jgrpp
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

morzenmebs wrote:a lot of these already exist in grfs and jgrpp
Yes, we made note of that nearly two years ago :)
NoNameNamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NoNameNamer »

Has anyone looked into a Research & Development feature with some sort of tech tree such that companies have to invest money and time into developing and manufacturing new vehicles and improvements instead of getting access to them for free with the passing of time? Or perhaps use R&D to get early access to various technologies and vehicles.

Apologies if this was already brought up.
We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

NoNameNamer wrote:Has anyone looked into a Research & Development feature with some sort of tech tree such that companies have to invest money and time into developing and manufacturing new vehicles and improvements instead of getting access to them for free with the passing of time? Or perhaps use R&D to get early access to various technologies and vehicles.

Apologies if this was already brought up.
We have discussed it a bit on IRC, implementing something so Game Script can control vehicle introductions, and maybe also affect industries in various ways. It hasn't gone further than vague ideas so far.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

If someone would be willing to send me a completed and formatted list, I'd happily update the first post accordingly.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Well, I certainly have a kind of "TOP ?" of things that I'd love to see implemented in the core game. Some are already suggested, others aren't:

- Diagonal roads
- Diagonal bridges/tunnels
- Crossing bridges, as long as they're at different heights (road/road, road/train, train/train), and be able to place them over canal locks, please!
- BOAT TUNNELS, I desperately beg you on my bleeding knees...
- Allow more than one dock per station (I already play this in a patch version, but it would be nice to see it integrated in the standard game)
- One or two further stages in HQ would be kinda nice too, I never last 20 years without reaching the max
- A third-stage improvement on boats would be highly appreciated, you know... just saying!
- Higher zoom out! Big maps really need it, please. Last patch I played was at x32.

And here's one I think is only mine (I might be wrong), but PLEASE make some enhancements on rivers, because as much as I'm a lover of water traffic, I can't see the improvement of them over canals. Only difference they can be placed in straight slopes, which honestly, isn't that much at all. You still need to place locks everywhere to make them usable, and diagonal terrain is still a no-no, even if just for a nicer visual effect. Can't you at the very least make river slopes sail-able without locks? If you want an example of what I mean, here's a horrific picture:
Attachments
img.png
img.png (278.89 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Last edited by CazadorSirenas on 10 Oct 2020 15:08, edited 4 times in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Multiple docks per station was implemented in OpenTTD 1.10.0.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Oh, that's nice to know...
I've just moved from the patched version I was playing to the awesome modif of 1.9.1 that TopTechDreamer created, which allows the boat tunnels and crossing bridges I craved so much (so now that I know for sure it's doable I hope those features will eventually reach the standard game), but the multiple docks don't work here.

Also, I wonder why the sharing between companies was so completely removed :cry: I used those options in every single one of my games and now they're gone. May I pray they'll ever come back? Also the zoom out was again reduced to x8, and I was so grateful for x32 due to playing big maps... I'm sure the developers do the best they can, but why removing features instead of adding them?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Infrastructure sharing and the increased zoom range you describe have never been part of base OpenTTD, but are included in JGR’s Patchpack.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

2TallTyler wrote: 10 Oct 2020 14:10 Infrastructure sharing and the increased zoom range you describe have never been part of base OpenTTD, but are included in JGR’s Patchpack.
I'm so sorry for speaking without knowing, I thought those features were part of the main game. Certainly the patch was doing a lot more for me than I ever knew.
I'll keep playing TopTechDreamer modif because it's really worthy, but damn I'll miss those features. I guess is win some, lose some.

I just wonder (and I'll apologize again if once more I'm speaking without knowing) why the successive versions of the game don't add the features that people put in patches, since they're proof of doable. Now wouldn't that be great?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CazadorSirenas wrote: 10 Oct 2020 15:06
2TallTyler wrote: 10 Oct 2020 14:10 Infrastructure sharing and the increased zoom range you describe have never been part of base OpenTTD, but are included in JGR’s Patchpack.
I'm so sorry for speaking without knowing, I thought those features were part of the main game. Certainly the patch was doing a lot more for me than I ever knew.
I'll keep playing TopTechDreamer modif because it's really worthy, but damn I'll miss those features. I guess is win some, lose some.

I just wonder (and I'll apologize again if once more I'm speaking without knowing) why the successive versions of the game don't add the features that people put in patches, since they're proof of doable. Now wouldn't that be great?
The main reasons patches don't make it into the base game are:
1. The code is buggy and has not been widely tested.
2. The code has been evaluated by OpenTTD's devs and determined to have issues which have not been resolved (this is the main issue with Infrastructure Sharing patch)
3. The code is of poor quality and doesn't meet OpenTTD's quality standards
4. The patch's author has abandoned the patch, and nobody else is developing it (this is usually the most common reason).

OpenTTD 1.10.0 introduced two new patches which had been under development for some time - New RoadTypes and TramTypes (NRT), and multiple docks per station. Other patches integrated in the last few years include support for New Objects, expansion of RailTypes from 15 to 64, 32bpp graphics, 2x/4x zoom graphics, and Cargo Distribution.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Thanks again for the answer :)

I get the thing about the docks, but I don't really understand the others. 64 types of rails? I've only ever played 4 (iron, electric, mono and maglev).
The zooming I've been seeing x2/x4/x8 since always in the config options, how is that new? Wasn't the possibility of seeing the game closer/further there since the beginning?
What new roads and trams? What does it refer to?

Oh, also please, since I'm here I'll ask a doubt before putting my foot in my mouth again, ha ha :roll: Starting a new game in 1.9.1 I noticed that the vehicles don't show the profit of their entire life anymore in their info window. Since I've wrongly assumed before, I'm not again. Was this feature from the patch I played previosuly and not from the core game? Because I looked several times through all the expert options and didn't find any called "Show complete info of vehicle" like I meant. The only option with a similar name is meant to pop a full message if the vehicle gets lost or something, which is not what I'm referring to...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CazadorSirenas wrote: 12 Oct 2020 18:40 64 types of rails? I've only ever played 4 (iron, electric, mono and maglev).

You can download NewGRF track sets, and you can use multiple track sets to provide up to 64 railtypes.
The zooming I've been seeing x2/x4/x8 since always in the config options, how is that new? Wasn't the possibility of seeing the game closer/further there since the beginning?
OpenTTD has always supported zooming out 2/4/8x, but didn't support 2/4x zoom in for many years.
What new roads and trams? What does it refer to?
Just like having multiple types of rail track, OpenTTD now supports up to 64 types of roads and tram tracks, and you can combine NewGRF sets to reach that limit.
Starting a new game in 1.9.1 I noticed that the vehicles don't show the profit of their entire life anymore in their info window. Was this feature from the patch I played previosuly and not from the core game?
This is a feature of the JGR Patch Pack, it's not in core OpenTTD.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”