Totally Self Serving Contest 3

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Totally Self Serving Contest 3

Post by ThunderAI »

I am in deep doo-doo with my train network, and am in need of some expert advise and or otherwise game doctoring.

I have included some images here to help describe my situation.

Here is a very wide shot of my network. It is on the largest map size.

Here we are zooming into the area of action for my current play zone.

Here is a zoom in on the main three cities which are developing around my main trunk line. This was at the time done on purpose...that may be my undoing.

Here is an even closer zoom in on the trunck leading to the main station.

Now to my problem. I need an intersection built in this are that will take the unslaught on trains without backing up the system too bad.

Here is a close in on the current intersection.

Game is 3090 with I4. Default NewGrf's.
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

I don't get what you mean with:
Now to my problem. I need an intersection built in this are that will take the unslaught on trains without backing up the system too bad.
? :)

edit:

are you sure the game is with the standard newgrf's. I doubting that when i see the builing above "Lower Prarningbury" station ;)
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ThunderAI »

webfreakz.nl wrote:I don't get what you mean with:

edit:

are you sure the game is with the standard newgrf's. I doubting that when i see the builing above "Lower Prarningbury" station ;)
What I need is an intersection that will allow the trains to move and flow without any or limited disruption. This intersection seems to backup what I think is too much.

As for the grf settings. the program says there are no addition grfs installed, although I myself dont recall if I did so or not.
MrDetermination
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrDetermination »

I am a total newbie and just starting to learn about junctions. I've only built one or two decent junctions so far, and no 4 ways. I'd like to see your save game so I can understand what is wrong with what you have there (because it looks like it should work fine to me) and I'm going to follow this thread closely. Seems like a good chance for me to learn.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

ThunderAI wrote:What I need is an intersection that will allow the trains to move and flow without any or limited disruption. This intersection seems to backup what I think is too much.
/me points, yet again, at Patchman's expertise:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=365619#365619
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=369120#369120

You'll have to expand it some because OTTD doesn't have custom bridgeheads yet, but other than that, one of those junctions should work just fine.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

my only real suggestion is get rid of the tunnels and put bridges in instead

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ThunderAI »

DaleStan wrote:
ThunderAI wrote:What I need is an intersection that will allow the trains to move and flow without any or limited disruption. This intersection seems to backup what I think is too much.
/me points, yet again, at Patchman's expertise:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=365619#365619
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=369120#369120

You'll have to expand it some because OTTD doesn't have custom bridgeheads yet, but other than that, one of those junctions should work just fine.
Looks impressive, when can we expect custom bridge headers and signals on bridges.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

there is already a custom bridgeheads patch

also the forum rules say no more than 3 attatchments per post
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

maybe get rid of some of the 90 degree turns.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

The original junction is backing up because of the number of trains trying to turn right... im not sure that 8 length bridges are going to solve much there.

One problem i can see straight off is you dont have a consistant side for each direction. That can make junctions really difficult/messy as they grow. First suggestion would be to switch the lines for the nearby station, as i assume that would be the easiest, so that they all run on the left track.

Most of my junctions i remake as demand grows in certain directions, rather than uniform 'any-line-from-any-direction' ones, and its not easy with only a screenshot since I cant tell where trains are heading, but hopefully this helps a bit.

I usually put multiple lines for tunnels/bridges where possible, as they're often the cause of jams if your trains travel close together. The 2 north/south lines in the middle may back up at the bridges, depending how much traffic travels straight through, but you should be able to improve that by spreading the junction out 1 or 2 more squares, and doubling up one or both directions.

Havent tested this (specific) junction, so if you have any suggestions, feel free.
Attachments
Bentfingford Transport, 16th Nov 1960.png
Bentfingford Transport, 16th Nov 1960.png (69.98 KiB) Viewed 249 times
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Here is my junctions... compact, noncloverleaf, no 90° turn style :o
edit: added junction3
Attachments
junction.PNG
junction.PNG (126.66 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
junction2.PNG
junction2.PNG (75.74 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
junction3.PNG
junction3.PNG (126.05 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
MrDetermination
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrDetermination »

Those junctions are totally sweet!
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Yes, they are quite nice ones, thgergo. ;-)

However I don't really think junctions should be generalised, as there are far too many cases with different loads on "branches".

My advise would be to make it a bigger junction, not necessarily adhering to the pre-made design, but adapting the junction to your needs and making branches as independent as possible PBS and reverse pre-signals will help too. :)

EDIT: BTW - I hope you're enjoying the Integrated_nightly, ThunderAI. ;)
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

robotboy, no one has attached more then 3 attachments.
Formerly known as Lachie
WWTBAM

Re: Totally Self Serving Contest 3

Post by WWTBAM »

and that building is andrexs new hq
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yes, Robot boy, most of us know that. Noone asked about that, by the way, so I think your post and this reply are totally off-topic.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

webfreakz.nl wrote:I don't get what you mean with:

edit:

thats what i was refering to

Return to “General OpenTTD”