Aegir's Projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wow, I'm glad to see these all coming together! Can't wait until we have the buildings sets available.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Righto, I'm about to shuffle some things up regarding P:GS. Stand by, I'm about to alter the first post to reflect this. Check for an update soonish.

Okay, it's all updated now. I haven't yet made the entries for all the station sets, I'll work on that sometime soon.

For now though I'd like to hear comments/criticism about my P:GS plans. Please read what I wrote in the first post carefully, as I will be very annoyed if people blast me without getting what I'm actually trying to do.

These are my current little set of notes regarding the P:GS alterations, have a read through them if you want:
Aegir's notes wrote:Project: Generic Stations

Framework Concept
Enhance the Modular concept of P:GS moreso, Turn P:GS into a Framework of sorts. Split each station off as a seperate entity. All under the P:GS umbrella.

Distribute each individual station set, individually. No more updating an entire set for one .grf's change.

Other station coders can create a station .grf and label it as being part of the P:GS project if they follow some simple design guidelines, they can make their own releases, they can handle their own bug reports, et cetera.

Station artists can concentrate on creating their own stations without following a set style.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

You changed the ID's again. :cry:
Last edited by Rob on 04 Dec 2005 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Rob wrote:You changed the ID's again. :cry:
And ofcourse the ID's got changed. They always change. As I've explained numerous times, it's either, I change the ID's, or the station .grf turns into a hideous mess. :P

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oh, and just somthing I've been working on, on the side of everything else. I know the texturing is a bit too much. I'll try and smoothen it out a bit.
Attachments
little building.png
little building.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 11248 times

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I agree with you re: the platforms, but the buildings look marvellous!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks very nice, but the building is blocking the middle platform.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Purno wrote:Looks very nice, but the building is blocking the middle platform.
Erm, that's how it's meant to look, Purno

Anyways, thanks for the compliments. I'll work on the texturing some more tommorow night.

Also, the little mini-articles on the first page are almost done. Just have to do the basic platform set, and the Brick Freight stations set that Born has been spewing sprites for.

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> Split each station off as a seperate entity.

Well, that would make coding simpler, but a drawback of this approach would be that you cannot "recycle" sprites any more. Given that there are only 11,484 (?) sprites in that category IMO it´s a serious drawback - more serious than in the "trains" category where the sprite limit doesn´t hurt much because of the even smaller ID limit.

regards
Michael
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

michael blunck wrote:> Split each station off as a seperate entity.

Well, that would make coding simpler, but a drawback of this approach would be that you cannot "recycle" sprites any more. Given that there are only 11,484 (?) sprites in that category IMO it´s a serious drawback - more serious than in the "trains" category where the sprite limit doesn´t hurt much because of the even smaller ID limit.

regards
Michael
Yes, that is quite true. And it was somthing that I considered. However, each station .grf follows a different artistic/architectural style, they don't share graphics. Aslong as I keep to this, it shouldn't be a major issue.

The closest that I've ran into this was with the freight stations, where I had multiple, seperate action 1/2's. Three seperate groupings, in fact.

P:GS for quite a while has been coded this way, but it's just now that I am swapping over to releasing and maintaining each individual station set seperatly.

Thankyou for raising the issue though, I'll look out for it.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Aegir wrote:
Rob wrote:You changed the ID's again. :cry:
And ofcourse the ID's got changed. They always change. As I've explained numerous times, it's either, I change the ID's, or the station .grf turns into a hideous mess. :P
Which leads to the question: Which is preferable, a hideous mess, or working savegames? It's well documented that upgrading P:GS *will* break any P:GS stations.

If you must change the IDs, please change the GRFID(s) too, so old saves don't break.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

North American Building Set

The 2 tile school replaces a hotel.
The hotel was a consumer of food.
The school does not consume food.
This throws the food chain out of wack.
Please institute a school lunch program to feed the starving children or allow another building to accept 4/8 food.
This will return my food processing plant back to its proper place in the food chain, especially now that it is a feature of the Canset.

Yours Truly,
Starving in Canada
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

It copies the temperate hotel, not the arctic one. So, do you want food acceptance on it or not?

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:It copies the temperate hotel, not the arctic one. So, do you want food acceptance on it or not?
The temperate hotel accepts food.
Question is ... should the school accept food or would it be more appropriate to designate another building?
My recommendation would be to leave the school as no food and make one or two of the townhouses accept food ... or what about that little house that looks like a neighbourhood corner store? Perhaps set it to accept 2/8 food?
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

lifeblood wrote:hey wally!
Hehe...

Indeed: Hallo Wally :!: :shock:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

wallyweb wrote:
Aegir wrote:It copies the temperate hotel, not the arctic one. So, do you want food acceptance on it or not?
The temperate hotel accepts food.
Question is ... should the school accept food or would it be more appropriate to designate another building?
My recommendation would be to leave the school as no food and make one or two of the townhouses accept food ... or what about that little house that looks like a neighbourhood corner store? Perhaps set it to accept 2/8 food?
Hmm. I'll look into it. Thanks!

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The Irish wrote:
lifeblood wrote:hey wally!
Hehe...

Indeed: Hallo Wally :!: :shock:
Yes ... I am alive and well ... just my internet access is currently limited to the one hour a day free access at the public library but that is just enough time to keep the likes of Aegir and DanMack off their butts and on their toes.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

That's OK,

Just glad you have not forgotten about us... :D

Hope you will have more time on the internet soon... :wink:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

All of the file links are most likely broken at present. I am in the process of restructuring the website, possibly changing to the Jaws CMS, also I have completly updated all of the .grf's, which are in:

http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index.php?dir=Newgrfs

Consider this a product recall. PLEASE download the newest versions of any .grf's of mine you are using with ones from the above location. All of the GRFID's had to change to prevent patchman hunting me down and brutally murdering me with an 80's style cellphone (Blunt force trauma to the HEAD, and EYE POKING with the aerial).

Also, I have released the Japan Set Buildings .grf, I'll make an announcement about that in the Japanset thread at some point.

I have released a little utility .grf aswell, that disables all the TTD buildings. BE AWARE, this .grf can be very dangerous if another set doesn't add buildings. If TTD tries to build a city somwhere and can't get any buildings, it WILL EXPLODE.

Sooner or later I will be pruning all of the obsolete, unsuported .grf's from this thread, namely the trams test and the Japanset grass seperate .grf (Which will be recreated later).

P:GS also had some slight changes, the names changed slightly, in particular, the Silverline stations are now Modern Suburban. This is because, functionally, it is not a replacement for the Silverline stations, it is a different beast code-wise.

NABS, the North American Building Set, is now Sub-arctic only. My reasoning for this being that the Temperate climate is far too much like Europe/United Kingdom. The buildings in NABS do not fit the landscape/climate. It is now Sub-Arctic only, and all the buildings have proper food acceptance. I also slightly changed the building distribution for towns, so the towns should look much nicer. It also has the updated sprites that Oz sent me.

Phew, I'll get around to the rest of the changes sometime soon. Hold tight for the meanwhile.

Return to “Graphics Development”