Glass Station Release

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Glass Station Release

Post by wallyweb »

On tt-forums one is never old unless one has two zeros between the first and last digits of one's "joined" date. Is there nothing beyond "tycoon"?
please can we just let things go
said DaVinci about all the fawning over Mona Lisa.
Perhaps JustMoreMemes could be invited to take on the task of his/her suggestion?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I totally agree that nothing (or noone :tongue: ) on this forum is too old ;-)

And I also agree that the climate-availability was a bit annoying.
I also really like the look of this station (I use it a lot for small metro-stations)
For my personal games, I simply decoded the GRF, removed the Action-07 referring to that and recoded again.

Code: Select all

// Only enable if it's the temperate
    7 * 6	 07 83 01 
                  # Must Not Match
		  # Temperate Climate
		  # Skip the whole file
As (AFAIK) there has no license been set, I recommend that you do the same for your personal games only.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It's sad that one of the original sins of this forum wasn't to plainly state, "Anything posted here automatically becomes open-source and can be used by anybody so long as credit is given." Instead, we get into these pointless arguments over "There's no license! So something cool has to just vanish into the aether and can't ever be used by anybody else ever again, even though no money was ever involved!"

You'd think that the fact that Transport Tycoon itself is abandonware, would support this view. But I guess too many people would rather argue over irrelevancies than keep all the various fun plugins to this very old game alive. :-(
Last edited by krtaylor on 07 Nov 2022 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Unfortunately, it is. And not everyone has enough knowledge to properly compile the edited source :cry:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote: 07 Nov 2022 10:38 As (AFAIK) there has no license been set, I recommend that you do the same for your personal games only.
Purno says, "All my graphics are licensed under GPL."

Whip out some NML and just get this done.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

krtaylor wrote: 07 Nov 2022 14:52 It's sad that one of the original sins of this forum wasn't to plainly state, "Anything posted here automatically becomes open-source and can be used by anybody so long as credit is given." Instead, we get into these pointless arguments over "There's no license! So something cool has to just vanish into the aether and can't ever be used by anybody else ever again, even though no money was ever involved!"

You'd think that the fact that Transport Tycoon itself is abandonware, would support this view. But I guess too many people would rather argue over irrelevancies than keep all the various fun plugins to this very old game alive. :-(
Unfortunately, this isn't how copyright law works.
A book that's 'out of print' is equivalent to software that's deemed 'abandonware', but copyright law prevails and says you can't use your copy of the book to make your own version and re-release it as your own work (even if you acknowledge the original author).
Also, the precise wording of copyright law DOES vary from country to country, so it MIGHT be legal in one country to do exactly what you're suggesting, but others might explicitly prohibit it, and others still might leave it in a grey area (in other words, not actually state which side of the legal/illegal fence this use would fall on).

In this particular case, as kamnet has pointed out, the original author has released the graphics under the GPL license. This means you can use them to create your own, updated NewGRF. The code in the original GRF might not be able to be re-purposed, depending on the exact wording of the license statement, but if the graphics are GPL'd there is NOTHING stopping you re-using them and writing your own NML to make a NewGRF (or re-using it in an entirely new way completely unconnected to OpenTTD!)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Thank you for making my point. WTH do you think the odds are of anyone being sued? HTH would you even figure out who to sue, and where they live? And exactly what damages would you imagine you to be entitled to?

Madness. :evil:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

skc wrote: 07 Nov 2022 22:30 In this particular case, as kamnet has pointed out, the original author has released the graphics under the GPL license. This means you can use them to create your own, updated NewGRF. The code in the original GRF might not be able to be re-purposed, depending on the exact wording of the license statement, but if the graphics are GPL'd there is NOTHING stopping you re-using them and writing your own NML to make a NewGRF (or re-using it in an entirely new way completely unconnected to OpenTTD!)
I'll go one further - I don't believe NFO is copyrightable. Especially if it's reverse-engineered NFO that came out of a decompiled NewGRF, stripped of everything except technical info.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Aegir wrote: 07 Nov 2022 07:31
JustMoreMemes wrote: 06 Nov 2022 17:28 This is very old now but I would love it if it could be updated to support all climates! The artwork is so cool! :bow:
it's been SEVENTEEN YEARS please can we just let things go
No I don't think we should. OpenTTD itself is old too and the base game is even more ancient and you are arguing that we should let things be forgotten and left behind. This is a great NewGRF with an annoying limitation that from my understanding is easier to solve today than it was back then, it might not get updated but that doesn't mean it's not worth asking.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Quast65 wrote: 07 Nov 2022 10:38 I totally agree that nothing (or noone :tongue: ) on this forum is too old ;-)

And I also agree that the climate-availability was a bit annoying.
I also really like the look of this station (I use it a lot for small metro-stations)
For my personal games, I simply decoded the GRF, removed the Action-07 referring to that and recoded again.

Code: Select all

// Only enable if it's the temperate
    7 * 6	 07 83 01 
                  # Must Not Match
		  # Temperate Climate
		  # Skip the whole file
As (AFAIK) there has no license been set, I recommend that you do the same for your personal games only.
How would I go about reprogramming it? I tried to get into NewGRFs but couldn't find anything useful aside from conflicting documentation and numerous ancient programs that don't work properly half the time. I don't really even understand the language. It would be amazing to see a proper rerelease or reupload with change though.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

JustMoreMemes wrote: 08 Nov 2022 10:33 How would I go about reprogramming it? I tried to get into NewGRFs but couldn't find anything useful aside from conflicting documentation and numerous ancient programs that don't work properly half the time. I don't really even understand the language. It would be amazing to see a proper rerelease or reupload with change though.
1. Decode the GRF using GRFcodec
2. Delete codeline 7
3. Change the GRF-id (BAGS, codeline 8 )
4. Change the name (for example, add "All Climates") (also codeline 8 )
5. Renumber by using NFOrenum
6. Recode the GRF using GRFcodec
kamnet wrote: 07 Nov 2022 20:33
Quast65 wrote: 07 Nov 2022 10:38 As (AFAIK) there has no license been set, I recommend that you do the same for your personal games only.
Well, in that case...
glassstationw.grf
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
glassstation all climates SOURCES.rar
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote: 08 Nov 2022 01:51 I'll go one further - I don't believe NFO is copyrightable. Especially if it's reverse-engineered NFO that came out of a decompiled NewGRF, stripped of everything except technical info.
The NewGRF Specs page is a reference to the NFO that is used in NewGRFs. Every GRF that works as intended is built on code from that page, so reverse engineer to your heart's content.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Quast65 wrote: 08 Nov 2022 13:39
JustMoreMemes wrote: 08 Nov 2022 10:33 How would I go about reprogramming it? I tried to get into NewGRFs but couldn't find anything useful aside from conflicting documentation and numerous ancient programs that don't work properly half the time. I don't really even understand the language. It would be amazing to see a proper rerelease or reupload with change though.
1. Decode the GRF using GRFcodec
2. Delete codeline 7
3. Change the GRF-id (BAGS, codeline 8 )
4. Change the name (for example, add "All Climates") (also codeline 8 )
5. Renumber by using NFOrenum
6. Recode the GRF using GRFcodec
kamnet wrote: 07 Nov 2022 20:33
Well, in that case...
glassstationw.grf
glassstation all climates SOURCES.rar
Thank you! I'm working on my own NewGRF right now by reverse engineering an existing one and your instructions helped with that.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

JustMoreMemes wrote: 09 Nov 2022 10:40 Thank you! I'm working on my own NewGRF right now by reverse engineering an existing one and your instructions helped with that.
Another route is to start a topic for your project in Graphics Development. That way you'll have all your thoughts and discussion in one convenient location. 8)

Return to “Graphics Development”