Station signals problem

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Station signals problem

Post by Spoco »

I'm having problems with the station signals. How would you do them for a station like this:

Current ones are just a try because i've tried many other ways so just ignore them.

I've tried doing them just like in this image:

Problem is that the last signal does not turn green at all. I mean the very exit signal.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Well you need signals on all of the track, not just at a station. The main way that signals work is through 'block signalling', the track is divided up into sections called 'blocks', with a signal at each end. Only one train is allowed into each block, which prevents collisions. In real life the signals in each block need to be a certain distant apart to give a train time to slow down, but in (Open)TTD this is not an issue, so you can have blocks as small as you want.

Block signalling has its disadvantages though, on a high capacity network you may have a big block with many tracks leading in and out of it. As only one train is allowed into the block at a time this will cause problems. The first is that a train may enter a block without the exit being clear, so a deadlock could occur. As such in TTDPatch and OpenTTD pre-signals have been developed. These only allow a train into a block if an exit is clear, but does not give you control over which exit is clear. For more information on this have a look at the wiki page about it.

Even pre-signals have their disadvantages though, as I said, it does not give you control over which exit is clear, and still only allows one train in a block at a time. As such in the past few months TTDPatch and OpenTTD have both developed path based signalling (this is so new that they are not yet in a release version, but for OpenTTD you can get it in the nightlies). With path based signalling (or PBS for short), when a train is about to enter a block it checks whether the exit is wants to take is clear, and if so it tries to find a route to this exit that is not in use. If it finds a route, it then reserves it, so that no other trains can cross this route. This prevents both collisions, and allows you to have multiple trains in one block. There are still a few bugs with it though, so it is best not to use this everywhere. For more information on this, have a look at the path based signalling wiki page.

I hope this helps, and I hope I understood what you problem was, and didn't write this all for nothing. :P
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spoco »

Thanks A LOT! I built signals all over the track and it seems to work now.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Spoco wrote:Thanks A LOT! I built signals all over the track and it seems to work now.
You should also use entry and exit signals at the stations entry and exit like so:
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spoco »

How do they help? I haven't had any problems after i placed the signals around the track. Trains choose a free platform if there's already a train in the first one.. I also converted the whole track into a monorail track.

Here's a new pic of the working track:

There's about 8 trains on it now. Could be more though. And looks like I wouldn't even need the waypoints. The trains can make the right turns even without them, but i use them anyways.

By the way, what causes 3-4 pieces of a railroad/monorail to disappear? This has happened in my game some times now. I didn't notice it until the train was reported lost. I'm sure i did not delete them my self. Is it a disaster of some kind? I didn't see any news of a disaster. Is it the mysterious UFO landing? I thought they wouldn't do anything cause they just land and then sit there for a long time.
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

hehe, I suggest you look at one of these UFO carefully once it landed. It might take a minute or so, but you'll see why it ends up blowing your tracks. Pretty funncy, if you ask me.
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spoco »

Yeah, I watched one yesterday. But they blow up a big square and I don't understand how does 1-4 pieces of one of my tracks just disappear. There would be a news paper of UFO landing.
hawk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hawk »

Spoco wrote:There would be a news paper of UFO landing.
Only if you have disasters and accidents turned on in the news
Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spoco »

I do. But still UFO would blow up more than 1 piece of a track.
hawk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hawk »

not if there was a train on the track at the time the tracks got blown up
Spoco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spoco »

Well, then i may have missed the newspaper.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”